High Altitude Drums 07/08 DSD IsoMike recording

Just to put in my two cents...these are fantastic recordings...there's really nothing like them in drum corps. The new disc is wonderful and if you aren't familiar with isomike and the work with BK or Troop it's tremendous stuff. Highly recommended! A shame that the Troop and BK shows from 2009 weren't recorded...I was actually looking forward to the isomike take more.

Having said that, crowd noise is fine, but I don't find it central to the experience of listening to a well-recorded performance. The corps itself has to come through as life-like as possible or it's mostly a non-starter for me. Indoor recordings of drum corps are usually horrid, although the principle exception where they work would be when I might be desperate to hear a show and will willingly throw down $ for a compressed MP3 of whatever gets posted. That doesn't mean I'd prefer it. It's sort of like having those 1995 recordings--I think they're awful, but they're all we have available.

Drum corps and symphonies have a lot in common as far as recordings, IMO. With a high-quality recording, I don't particularly need to hear the crowd go crazy at the end of the show, or at big hits in the performance. The music and the performance themselves are riveting and the recording allows all of the subtle nuance to be gathered and enjoyed. The only exceptions to this for me are where the crowd becomes part of the moment...where it's a phenomena, like (especially) 2008 Regiment. Though a super-clean full-dimensional recording of a show like that would have its own value in addition to a "live" recording. Another example--I prefer the "studio" recording of the 2003 Regiment show.

If DCI were to offer studio recordings using near-obsessive techniques like those employed by isomike, I'd certainly buy them. Have isomike record whoever's passing through the area each summer? That'd be something!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sale was supposed to be over yesterday on Friday, but I am leaving it up for DCP members until the end of this coming Monday, the same sale link is active.

Thanks everyone for the kind words about the recording!

Here is the youtube from 2007

Here is one in the WSU Austad Auditorium with me explaing the idea.

Here is the BK 2007 video in high resolution and stereo

http://vimeo.com/1189201

Ray

What would really be great would be to have a standstill performance by all the corps at a high school in Indy and the Isomike could be used to record them there (outdoors). They could charge admission (DCI and IsoMike) and it could be another great event during finals week. I don't know how it would be worked out, but the sound quality of the recordings would be worth ANY inconvience. Please find some way to work this out!!!!

The financial arrangement for recording at Weber is pretty good for the corps, let me give you a background story.

IsoMike records more than just drum corps at WSU, we record virtaully all student group perfomances, we don't charge anything AND when we do sell discs we return all the money back to WSU, not just the profit - but the gross proceeds.

For commercial groups like Fry Street Quartet we take care of all recording expenses, the commercial group pays for the editing. Then the commercial group can buy discs from us for just the pressing and mechanical license fees. This way the commerical group can sell the discs they buy from us at a profit for the commerical group, and IsoMike sells discs also with the proceeds flowing back to WSU.

Because we raise a sustantial sum for the music programs at WSU, we get some very VERY nice cooperation when we need the stadium for recording.

In the case of High Altitude Drums, we also paid for the editing. The Blue Knights and The Troopers can buy discs from us for just the pressing and mechanical fees to sell in their concession booths - i.e. all the recording expense is free to the corps. Discs sold direct by IsoMike flows back to WSU and lets IsoMike be a major, if not the major donor for Corps Encore in Ogden each summer. We work with each corps individually as the recordings are not of a "DCI event".

I am extremely! interested in recording as many corps as possible, and to do it with a financial model as close to what we do at WSU as possible.

Ray

Edited by Ray Kimber

I am extremely! interested in recording as many corps as possible, and to do it with a financial model as close to what we do at WSU as possible.

Ray

C'mon DCI corps . . .this is something us hardcore fans will pay good money for.

Do it in 2010. :tongue:

The financial arrangement for recording at Weber is pretty good for the corps, let me give you a background story.

IsoMike records more than just drum corps at WSU, we record virtaully all student group perfomances, we don't charge anything AND when we do sell discs we return all the money back to WSU, not just the profit - but the gross proceeds.

For commercial groups like Fry Street Quartet we take care of all recording expenses, the commercial group pays for the editing. Then the commercial group can buy discs from us for just the pressing and mechanical license fees. This way the commerical group can sell the discs they buy from us at a profit for the commerical group, and IsoMike sells discs also with the proceeds flowing back to WSU.

Because we raise a sustantial sum for the music programs at WSU, we get some very VERY nice cooperation when we need the stadium for recording.

In the case of High Altitude Drums, we also paid for the editing. The Blue Knights and The Troopers can buy discs from us for just the pressing and mechanical fees to sell in their concession booths - i.e. all the recording expense is free to the corps. Discs sold direct by IsoMike flows back to WSU and lets IsoMike be a major, if not the major donor for Corps Encore in Ogden each summer. We work with each corps individually as the recordings are not of a "DCI event".

Ray

This is really a wonderful service!! Let's keep bumping this so the powers that be (George are you looking...) can seriously think of working something like this out!!!

Yes yes yes. Knights and troop sound amazing.

So many corps I would loooove to hear recorded by isomike. BD, Cadets, Phantom, Cavies, Crown, Boston, Bluuuue, Stars etc, etc.

Isomike is like the polar opposite of this year's finals CD. Raw, dynamic, intense... like it really is. :tongue:

Ray if you could ever arrange a top 12 recording, I can't help but think it would be very financially rewarding.

Yes yes yes. Knights and troop sound amazing.

So many corps I would loooove to hear recorded by isomike. BD, Cadets, Phantom, Cavies, Crown, Boston, Bluuuue, Stars etc, etc.

Isomike is like the polar opposite of this year's finals CD. Raw, dynamic, intense... like it really is. :tongue:

Ray if you could ever arrange a top 12 recording, I can't help but think it would be very financially rewarding.

BUMP

Asking a favor of those who have listened to High Altitude Drums.

This disc is for sale on Amazon and it is unlikely that the normal Amazon customer would have any idea what they are missing, 1-missing an idea of any drum corps experience and 2-of this specific recording. There are no reviews yet on Amazon and so I am asking if any DCP members are so inclined to please submit comments. (It is possible that you would have to purchase the product from Amazon before being allowed to submit a review, and if so please let me know by email and I would offer 2 additional IsoMike discs at N/C for you to share with friends - the discs can be any IsoMike single disc inventory, just send me a message on dcp)

This would get the word out about Drum Corps and hopefully get more fans to the events.

Next, the web site sa-cd.net this is a fantastic resource for high resolution recordings - High Altitude Drums is listed with some very nice comments, but none of the comments are from the viewpoint which has experience in a drum corps, or has other recordings of drum corps for comparison. sa-cd.net would also be a great resource about information about other music recordings - mostly classical and jazz.

If a few of you have a few minutes I think it would help convert non-fans.

Kind regards,

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
What would really be great would be to have a standstill performance by all the corps at a high school in Indy and the Isomike could be used to record them there (outdoors). They could charge admission (DCI and IsoMike) and it could be another great event during finals week. I don't know how it would be worked out, but the sound quality of the recordings would be worth ANY inconvience. Please find some way to work this out!!!!

If there's any way to make it happen I hope they can pull it off. These recordings are vastly superior to anything else out there in the activity and we would be well served if every corps could be recorded in this manner.