High Altitude Drums 07/08 DSD IsoMike recording

High Altitude Drums has a debut review on THE premier SA-CD review and forum site, this is a big deal and extends the experience of Drum Corps to whole new listeners.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/6171#6775

This is fantastic, I am so grateful to The Troopers and The Blue Knights.

Ray Kimber

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another review of the disc, this time on positive feedback magazine, scroll to the end of the reviews

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue46/chandos.htm

Here again - this is a publication where the readership is mostly (99.99%?) unaware of Drum Corps and of those that are aware, most (99.99% of 99.99%?) of them have never been to any DCI performance, hopefully this will put new butts in the seats. And wouldn't it be fantastic if new donors were the result!

• 4 weeks later...

IsoMike will be exhibiting at CES in Las Vegas Jan 7-10, 2010

As usual we will have a top-notch 4-channel playback system and Drum Corps recordings are a significant part of our demonstrations.

The highest-end audio displays at CES are at The Venetian Hotel in the high-roller suites. IsoMike will be in Venetian suite 34-207

CES is a trade only show, closed to the public; but if there is a DCP/DCI participant that needs help with credentials send me an email.

Happy Holidays,

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another review of The Blue Knights and The Troopers on High Altitude Drums , this time from Audiophile Audition. The review is by the Chief Editor and he is plainly as enthusiastic about the performing and composing/arranging as he is the recording technology. John Sunier is very repected in the industry this is a big honor.

http://www.audaud.com/article?ArticleID=6784

Once again congrats and thanks to the Corps who let me record them.

Happy New Year

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we are at CES Las Vegas in Venetian 34-207 with a quite nice system having lots of fun playing music. System cost is a bit over $400,000

EMM with Ed Meitner is in the display with us and we are using the Sony SS-AR1 Loudspeakers with a very positive response from attendees. Graemme Brown of Zen Mastering is here along with engineer, Aaron Hubbard. Also frequently in our booth is Claude Cellier from Merging - merging.com

It would be nice to shake the hand of any members of this forum, so please introduce yourself if you visit.

We just had a visitor who is heavily involved with a Corps, it was purely an accidental visit - and he didn't know about the recordings. It would be safe to say that he was astonished.

Virtually the entire directorship of Sony attended a private demo. I have a question..., is there a DCI event anywhere near San Diego this year? As they are now keen to experience Drum Corps live

Ray

I think that the Riverside, CA show was as far south as we got back in the day. I'm not sure what's out there now though, that was twenty years ago.

I've been recording DSD since 2008 myself. But purely amatuer attempts IMO. Only 2 channels, low end mics, nothing fancy in preamps (YET). Most of my edits done in 24 bit and 96 kHz and delivered in LCPM (16 bit / 48 kHz / stereo) or MP3 (ick). Drumcorps is a hard one to record. Set your levels to the corps proper and when the drumline enters, poof, you're to hot. Situate in the audience and those sounds over balance due to proximity. High SPL levels that most mics don't handle all that well. Outdoor winds and such. Recordings of rehearsals always sound better IMO(sans audience). But rehearsals lack that certain performance flair that some corps manage.

If you've never heard DSD before, there is a noticeable jump over CD quality. The higher dynamic range is nice. And a life saver when it comes to corps. Play it safe on the levels and you still have plenty of elbow room to deliver. If only there was more software to edit it at native resolutions. It's just nice to see that I'm not the only one out there. Although I'm still lacking a lot of gear to be where I want to be in terms of quality. Side tracked by adding video to my rig. HD Audio + HD Video, a potent combination. Even at the consumer / prosumer grade of gear. The only downside is that all of those distractions are recorded in all their glory. Planes, trains, 1st responders, traffic, birds, crickets, the rustling of the leaves in the wind. Even those church bells 5 miles down the road, and of course that crunch crunch crunch of advancing the film on disposable cameras. We live in such a noisy world.

Well here we are at CES Las Vegas in Venetian 34-207 with a quite nice system having lots of fun playing music. System cost is a bit over $400,000

EMM with Ed Meitner is in the display with us and we are using the Sony SS-AR1 Loudspeakers with a very positive response from attendees. Graemme Brown of Zen Mastering is here along with engineer, Aaron Hubbard. Also frequently in our booth is Claude Cellier from Merging - merging.com

It would be nice to shake the hand of any members of this forum, so please introduce yourself if you visit.

We just had a visitor who is heavily involved with a Corps, it was purely an accidental visit - and he didn't know about the recordings. It would be safe to say that he was astonished.

Virtually the entire directorship of Sony attended a private demo. I have a question..., is there a DCI event anywhere near San Diego this year? As they are now keen to experience Drum Corps live

Ray

Ray, Scott Wilkenson of Ultimate AV Magazine is at CES this year with the This Week in Tech crew. He's also a low brass player who would appreciate what you're doing. I hope he stops by your booth!