can anyone identify this stadium?

* bump*

Cranked the volume on the 1974 Carlisle show last night and heard the start of a conversation that I wish could have heard the whole thing.

As the host corps started out you hear two voices:

"...trying to to get the support of the local (fans?)...."

".. what's the difference between DCI and DCA..."

"...<inaudible as the corps started playing>..."

Well that's as I remember it, may try it again when the wife doesn't get mad for rattling the windows. :tongue:

Seeing how it looks like the camera was on top of the press box the only voices should have been the guys filming. Possibly Mr Jones himself ready to give some knowledge as "that" :rolleyes: group on the field drowned him out. Would have been an interesting discussion as DCI was only in it's third season.

Sometimes the background is more interesting that the foreground....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent the picture in question to member of the Troop's 75 guard, and she had no idea where it was. She suggested it was an early season show, and then proceeded to critique the guard! 34 years later and still a perfectionist! Way to go, Vicki!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

• 2 months later...

definitely not Manning Bowl

• 1 month later...
Sure does resemble Manning Bowl with those two light towers ni the background.

I recall watching a video of the US Open and that missing grass patch seems like it could be the same field.

"The Heights"? Possibly Alumni Stadium at Boston College? I know that a number of shows were held there back in the day.

definitely not Manning Bowl

I agree with Pam.... :tongue:

Having lived in Lynn (for 21 years) and across the street from Manning Bowl for several of those years, this is not Manning Bowl.

I think we have a winner with Alumni Stadium at Boston College. Here is an era photo of the stadium side by side with the Troopers picture.

AlumniSadiumTroopers.JPG

What do ya'll think?

I think we have a winner with Alumni Stadium at Boston College. Here is an era photo of the stadium side by side with the Troopers picture.

AlumniSadiumTroopers.JPG

What do ya'll think?

Sorry, that picture link didn't work. Lets try this one

AlumniSadiumTroopers.jpg

Sorry, that picture link didn't work. Lets try this one

AlumniSadiumTroopers.jpg

Boston College's Alumni Stadium has been used for 2 national ( or regional ) Drum Corps shows. " Mission Drums " ( Senior Corps ) and The CYO Nationals " ( junior Corps). If this picture is from 1975, then it is not from Boston College's stadium. The Troopers were not at the CYO Nationals in 1975. This much I am certain about.

If this is from Massachusetts, and folks believe it is taken "in 1975 ", then a possibilty could be Cawley Stadium in Lowell, Ma. There were some some national touring Corps that were there in the mid 70's ( Racine Kilties for one ) that competed in this stadium, although I don't recall the Troopers being there.... but who knows.

I know for a fact that the Troopers competed in Winchester, Ma., and this looks very much like that stadium at Manchester Field ( 12-24 rows backfield ), but this would have been in the late 60's around 1967-1968, not 1975.

Edited by BRASSO