Show you would NOT want to march and why

Blue Devils. I don't really like their shows. I appreciate their work, etc, and I am sure they are great people, but I just wouldn't be into what I would be doing.

I think for me it is easier to talk about corps I would march with rather than corps I wouldn't march with. There are only three World Class Corps I would ever think about marching with.

1) Madison Scouts - Even when the corps doesn't do as well as they are expected to by the drum corps community's standards, I love this corps. Style, tradition, the look, the music. It's pure drum corps (coming from a brass players standpoint).

2) Crossmen - see above.

3) Carolina Crown - this corps has in my mind the best overall sound that has ever been put on a field. I'm not talking what type of style I like or anything like that. I just believe this is as close to a pure brass ensemble sound as you can get on a football field. The teaching/technique that has helped transform this hornline is something I would kill to be a part of.

with every other corps, while I am still often entertained, I have some sort of problem with the following: brass sound, technique to playing, marching technique, music selection, or the biggest no no for me, bad trumpet playing. It's some combination of those things.

Yep, you're right. The experience of a lifetime, learning from a talented and dedicated staff, life long friends, being treated like a family member, being well feed, having fun, those are all things I got at the Glassmen. I can definitely see why you wouldn't want any part of that !

I am just saying that I wouldn't want to march those shows because they would be boring for me to rehearse all summer. I said the members, staff, volunteers are all to be commended, just that I wouldn't want to march them. I am just going opposite of the typical, " If you could march any show who would it be" diatribe. This is honestly not a slam on Gmen at all. Its just preferential taste. Also, as was stated earlier, you get everything you mentioned from almost every corps. Seriously, don't take my own opinion as a personal slam. I never even said the shows were bad, just too vanilla for me.

I'll go with vanguard 03 out of fear of cardiac arrest

I'll go with vanguard 03 out of fear of cardiac arrest

I was going to say the same thing. This show got me into drum corps and I listen to it all the time, but I'd never in my wildest dreams want to march it.

Edited by ContrasAreFun

Yep, you're right. The experience of a lifetime, learning from a talented and dedicated staff, life long friends, being treated like a family member, being well feed, having fun, those are all things I got at the Glassmen. I can definitely see why you wouldn't want any part of that !

I marched glassmen more recently, and gotta say that many of those great qualities arn't quite there anymore... the staff is great, but as most drum corps there were this group of kids, and that group of kids, and the bass line, and just a bunch of little groups instead of one big family. Not to bash glassmen because I did make a lot of friends there, but after leaving that corps to go on with my marching career, I found much better experiences and a much closer family feeling elsewhere. And to the original topic, I would say I would never want to march either glassmen shows (exception of 08), or blue knights shows due to finding myself bored way too often. IMO.

Right, because all of those things are Glassmen-exclusive.

:thumbup:

Ok then...

Thank you and good night.

This thread will dwindle in quality very quickly.

Closed.