Is it time for BD to have two in a row again?

Regarding the Cavaliers chances for next year . . .

The Cavies had quite a staff change in '06 with regards to percussion, and they did okay that year.

very true. I am simply commenting on the fact that DCPers never really know what to expect from changes in staff. They could be quite positive, and often are, but people like to think that change isn't a good thing until proved otherwise.

Also, the Bluecoats had huge changes in staff in drums, guard and in design from 08-09. We did pretty good considering a few other setbacks as well, regarding the drill writing process. Not to mention an almost entirely new percussion section and guard section. 4th in drums, not too shabby. I couldn't tell you the guard scores with out looking them up, though.

I'm know that staff changes can be good, is what I'm saying. :thumbup:

Of course its possible that BD will win two in a row.

I feel like everyone in the top 6 or so has decent shot at it.

I'm not feeling the cadets this year unless they make some good decisions with their drill.

Phantom, we'll see. After last year, i'm hoping for a strong return.

Cavies i hope they stay strong, it would be a real shame to see them fall.

SCV, i see them higher then they have been in the decade, its not time yet.

Crown is still a serious threat to BD. I'll be interested to hear BD with their new horns.

As for 08's summer, i thought that Phantom should have been in second, i loved the cavies show no 1 from what i've seen on youtube (of both shows)

Anymore, I think a lot has to do with the show itself. After the 2nd Houston show this year, I yelled out "1930 CHAMPS!" during the encore - I saw their show as a championship-winning-written show. I have a soft spot for Crown, having Star on our Florida tour in 93 (we must call a spade a spade), but to me, Crown's show was not a championship-written show in 09 (07 and 08, yes...too bad, Evan!)...and for the criticism, I may be stuck in the music aspect of it.

The Blue Devils can drop the hammer down as good as or better than anyone. A repeat? I will have to see their 2010 show.

Agreed, for Blue Devils (or Cadets or Cavaliers etc) to win...it really comes down to having a show design capable of winning.

We all know that the Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Cadets, etc can march, spin, and play well enough to win pretty much any given year in terms of performance scoring. But we plain and simple don't know how well a show is going to be designed. We can form an *expectation* based on history of how likely it is that a design team will create a successful show, but that is NOT a prediction.

Predicition Threads really should be called *Expectation* Threads.

With all that said, performance capabilities for a yet un-fielded top corps is also purely an expectation, just like the design team aspect, however with said perennial top corps, the performance capability expectations are much more reliable when compared to design quality speculation.

/digression.

Edited by Creep

Anymore, I think a lot has to do with the show itself. After the 2nd Houston show this year, I yelled out "1930 CHAMPS!" during the encore - I saw their show as a championship-winning-written show. I have a soft spot for Crown, having Star on our Florida tour in 93 (we must call a spade a spade), but to me, Crown's show was not a championship-written show in 09 (07 and 08, yes...too bad, Evan!)...and for the criticism, I may be stuck in the music aspect of it.

The Blue Devils can drop the hammer down as good as or better than anyone. A repeat? I will have to see their 2010 show.

I just feel the need to disagree with Crown's show not being 'championship' caliber, when compared to the previous two years. In my opinion, 2009 was the best design of a show thats come from them so far, and that definitely contributes to why they came up to get their first medal in their history. A silver one, at that.

That is all :rolleyes:

• 9 years later...

Think back to a time when that was an unusual occurrence.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2009 at 7:05 PM, Creep said:

Agreed, for Blue Devils (or Cadets or Cavaliers etc) to win...it really comes down to having a show design capable of winning.

We all know that the Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Cadets, etc can march, spin, and play well enough to win pretty much any given year in terms of performance scoring. But we plain and simple don't know how well a show is going to be designed. We can form an *expectation* based on history of how likely it is that a design team will create a successful show, but that is NOT a prediction.

This. This is how times have changed over the past 10 years. Only 1 powerhouse remains.

Otherwise there are other very good corps that are occasionally winning. Bluecoats and Crown have not shown dominance and SCV is still an occasional winner. I think of the Bluecoats and Crown as a new era Madison and Phantom.

This is why BD has won 8/13 of the past years and I EXPECT them to have 9/14 next year

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2009 at 5:26 PM, jamesjones0611 said:

IMHO, the only legitimate contenders to BD not winning again are the Cadets and Crown.

Although I think Crown will dominate the field this season (including BD), its still only November.

One things for sure...even BD can't touch that Crown hornline :thumbup:

Cadets are years away from competing for a title. It kills me to say that, but it’s going to take a long time to get back to being in the medal category.

Bluecoats are the only corps that has a legitimate chance to win a gold every year apart from blue Devils. They have the total package and they have a design team that understands both music and visual.