Top 50 DCI era Corps

well the biggest miss I see is the Sky Ryders. During their run of broadway themed shows they set the standard for story telling.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I never got the chance to see them I heard them on record, 1978 I believe.

They rocked it on the 1980 records. They were 16th and had a really good hornline.

Argonauts #50 or lower?

Remember Ghost?

Even better... those drum harnesses EVERYONE uses? Hadley Loveall of the Flamingos/Argonauts invented them!

#50 or lower, my sweet patootie!

• 3 weeks later...
Argonauts #50 or lower?

Remember Ghost?

Even better... those drum harnesses EVERYONE uses? Hadley Loveall of the Flamingos/Argonauts invented them!

#50 or lower, my sweet patootie!

I remember Ghost and his dog Shadow , from his Stockton Commodores days..

• 1 month later...
Why did Blessed Sacrement Golden Knights, Blue Rock, and the Commodores only get honorable mentions?

Blessed Sac and Blue Rock were DCI Charter Member corps! The Commodores wer a top twelve corps!

My guess is this is the reason...

There are some old time corps that would have made the top 50 Drum Corps period but weren’t around long enough to have an impact from 1972 to today.

BS was a shadow of their former greatness in 1972, and Blue Rock's greatest year was 1971. They were OK in 72, but faded fast after that.

Based on their DCI-era corps, I agree with Blackstar.

THANK YOU! Not many people left in the activity that remember us, but I'm glad we still have someone who liked us.

Kingsmen were strong in the late 1970s-1980 period, no doubt about it.

Please refresh my memory here.... was Dennis Dewey your brass instructor back then? He joined Sunrisers' brass staff in 1980 as caption head, and I seem to remember him also working with the Kingsmen. He was a great brass instructor...easily one of the best in Sun's history, IMO.

Fran

Kingsmen were strong in the late 1970s-1980 period, no doubt about it.

Please refresh my memory here.... was Dennis Dewey your brass instructor back then? He joined Sunrisers' brass staff in 1980 as caption head, and I seem to remember him also working with the Kingsmen. He was a great brass instructor...easily one of the best in Sun's history, IMO.

Fran

I marched with Dennis in Garfield...he was a heck of a baritone player. His younger brother Mike, who also marched with Garfield, passed away about a year ago or so.

I think Dennis is still teaching music out on Long Island...or just retired...something like that, anyway.

Patriots over Purple Lancers? Interesting.

Aaaah alphabetical order, okay!

Blessed Sac...did they compete at DCI ever?

I was checking out a website that ranked the top 50 corps. I wondered what my top 50 of the DCI era would be. There are some old time corps that would have made the top 50 Drum Corps period but weren’t around long enough to have an impact from 1972 to today.

There are several corps that to me would have made my list but didn’t last that long. I’ll save them for last

In somewhat alphabetical order

1. 27th Lancers

2. Anaheim Kingsmen

3. Argonne Rebels

4. Avant Garde

5. Black Knights

6. Bleu Raiders

7. Blue Coats

8. Blue Devils

9. Blue Knights

10. Boston Crusaders

11. Blue Stars

12. Bluecoats

13. Bridgemen

14. Capital Aires

15. Cavaliers (Rosemont)

16. Chung Wah Boy Scouts

17. Colts

18. Crossmen

19. Defenders

20. Des Plaines Vanguard

21. Dutch Boy

22. Emerald Knights

23. Freelancers

24. General Butler Vagabonds

25. Geneseo Knights

26. Glassmen

27. Guardsmen

28. Holy Name Cadets- Garfield Cadets-Cadets of Bergen County- etc

29. Kilties

30. Les Chatelaines

31. Long Island Kingsmen

32. Madison Scouts

33. Memphis Blues Brass Band ***

34. Muchachos

35. Northstar

36. Oakland Crusaders - DeLaSalle Oaklands - Etobicoke Crusaders

37. Patriots NY

38. Phantom Regiment

39. Pioneer

40. Purple Lancers

41. Royal Crusaders

42. Santa Clara Vanguard

43. Spartans

44. Spirit

45. St. Ignatuis Girls

46. Star of Indiana

47. Suncoast Sound

48. Troopers

49. Velvet Knights

50. Honorable Mention, These are corps that just missed the cut. Yamato, Seattle Imperials, Spectra Heightsmen Alliance, Les Eclipses, Argonauts, Blessed Sacraments Golden Knights, Blue Rock, Commodores, Marauders

Edited by KeithHall

I marched with Dennis in Garfield...he was a heck of a baritone player. His younger brother Mike, who also marched with Garfield, passed away about a year ago or so.

I think Dennis is still teaching music out on Long Island...or just retired...something like that, anyway.

I marched in 1981 with The Kingsmen, as we tried to keep them alive. Small corp that year but we had heart.

I also marched with Mr Dewey (I'm 46 years old and would still call him that, talk engrained in my brain) at Brentwood HS on LI. I understand he retired last year. The Brentwood "Green Machine" Marching Band is still a very good competitive marching band. There aren't many on LI and the fact Brentwood is a very low income district with gang problems says alot for his ability to motivate kids.

He had a lifelong impact on me from musical tastes (ala Mangione and Maynard from those great Garfield shows, they we always be Garfield to me) to my love for Drum Corp.

Does anyone remember an instructor Joe Buccie (I think that's how it's spelled) Mr Dewey brought him in to help us at Brentwood and The Kingsmen and I haven't seen his name around. I'm pretty sure he had a Garfield connect from the 70's also.