Best drum corps shows of the 21st Century

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the article because I'm not permitted to go on blogs at work (websense block) but I read the list that was copied here. Very interesting.

I want to mention a completely unimportant and technical fact: 21st century starts on January 1, 2001.

If you're going to officially call it "The best shows of the 21st century" then all the *year* 2000 shows shouldn't be on that list. Just sayin'. It's just a technicality.

Great top 30 nonetheless.

Edited by me to clarify my comment.

Edited by Brigscontrachik05

Very interesting perspectives!

Of course everyone's lists and orders would be different, but it would be interesting to review more shows that were groundbreaking (SCV 04, BD 00). Of course, this would take FOREVER, so the fact so many shows were reviewed is pretty excellent.

My only gripe is there are too many recent shows, where we haven't gotten the chance to see their full impact (on history).

I thought BD '05 did far more to break down the fourth wall than did BD '09

And let's not forget that BD '05 brought chairs (and cots) to the field as well. It's not one of my favorite shows, but I'd nonetheless rate '05 as a more significant show than '09.

HH

And let's not forget that BD '05 brought chairs (and cots) to the field as well. It's not one of my favorite shows, but I'd nonetheless rate '05 as a more significant show than '09.

HH

I agree. I thought BD's Dance Derby show was a very clever well thought out show. It got panned on DCP so bad because it was performed at the beginning of the whole anti vocal uprising on DCP. Crown's 2004 show was just as controversial but the silly group think/ mob mentality about vocals hadn't taken Full effect yet. The corps using vocals in 2006 took the brunt of the DCP wrath.

Edited by boxingfred

...Crown's 2004 show was just as controversial but the silly group think/ mob mentality about vocals hadn't taken effect yet. The corps using vocals in 2006 took the brunt of the DCP wrath.

Not sure I can agree with that. DCP in 2004 was loaded with poison for vocals. Crown took major grief ("Up with People" etc.) though Boston took more.

HH

Not sure I can agree with that. DCP in 2004 was loaded with poison for vocals. Crown took major grief ("Up with People" etc.) though Boston took more.

HH

I meant to say full effect.

I thought BD '05 did far more to break down the fourth wall than did BD '09

Yeah...i never did buy that POV. So many shows, including some on his list did it SOOO much better that I find it odd that this would be a reason for the ultimate ranking. Its also tough for me because BD 09 is probably my 6th or 7th favorite Blue Devils show of the decade....much less comparing it against every other corps out there :thumbup: