Randy Nelson with Colts

Based on ones upbringing and individual moral compass, one tends to believe in a particular viewpoint.

Believe media, police, court system, authority figures, etc.

Given that belief or point of view:

"For those who do believe, no explaination is necessary... for those who don't, no explaination will do." ($1 to whatever guy said this first)

Based on where you fall in the topic, it is my observation that on DCP (as with most discussion boards), arguing with the opposite is not unlike talking with a Q-tip.

You individual mileage may vary.

Talking with a Q-tip??? hmm.....

Yeah, i can get on board with that :inlove:

Still didn't answer the question. So far I'm not hearing any hugely compelling reason as to why this is a necessary risk.
And if your a parent that does not know Greg or Mike, but have heard of this incident what should your course of action be? I would hope that you would contact the Colts organization and ask specific questions. But unfornately there will be people that will not do this and just decide to join another corps or not march.

Your question can't be answered. There isn't a risk. We are better off without Jeremy Hunt who wasn't a fan of water breaks. Stop commenting on a corps dynamic that you don't understand.

Any parent of a rookie member would soon meet and understand Greg and Mike long before the beginning of the season. Colts is a corps known for its family dynamic. Most parents are working on the cooktruck a few times a summer. Greg and Mike are not only accessible to parents of vet and rookie members, but in some cases close friends.

Colts members clearly don't take issue with this. Parents of past and current members haven't cried wolf. People will still come ad audition. We'll have our 150 members and parents of new members will understand why this won't be a problem. Check back in four months so I can say "I told you so"

Edited by bmroth1

Still didn't answer the question. So far I'm not hearing any hugely compelling reason as to why this is a necessary risk.

Actually, you've heard it in abundance but chosen to ignore it. Maybe Colts weighed your perception of risk against this man's fundamental character and recognized the clear upside of opportunity over the limited downside of his potential for harm. What should also be obvious is the nature of the alleged infraction, which concerned consenting adults only. No violence, no coersion, no reason for Colts - or for you, for that matter - to be concerned that this man is a threat to the organization.

HH

Edited by glory

And if your a parent that does not know Greg or Mike, but have heard of this incident what should your course of action be? I would hope that you would contact the Colts organization and ask specific questions. But unfornately there will be people that will not do this and just decide to join another corps or not march.

Though it's a shame for the kids involved, if I were corps director I wouldn't want parents who jump to such conclusions.

HH

We all have a distinct opinion on this. That's OK, we can disagree. The funny thing is - I believe in redemption. I believe he deserves another chance. I'm a teacher also. In fact, if I was faced with the same situation, I might consider pleading "no contest" to save my career and retirement. Maybe I would think the risk of being found guilty was too much, even if I was innocent. But I'm having a difficult time coming up with a scenario where I would feel comfortable with Randy being my daughter's teacher. Am I a hypocrite? Maybe. Before I had children I may have even come down on the other side of this issue. But something happens when you have a kid. You see things through a different light. I am not going to apologize for my opinion. My most important duty is to protect my child. Thankfully this is a moot point for me. My daughter is only 8 and will not be auditioning for a corps anytime soon.

Has he admitted to this? Was he found guilty of this? Is that so, where do your facts come from? The only facts that I have seen is that he denied the charges but pleaded "no contest". Perhaps you have seen something I haven't?

Disclaimer: below response is only dealing with how this might affect the corps recruiting efforts.

My understanding is pleading "No Contest" comes down to "I'm not going to admit guilt but I'm not going to fight the charge". Yes he wasn't found guilty but he didn't deny the charges in court. This in itself raises eyebrows in a lot of people. Personally if I had a kid wanting to join Colts I'd be emailing with a lot of very specific questions (I have some in mind). Then depending on the response I'd decide if my kid could join. Again, not condemning the man but would be more careful in dealing with corps. And how the corps management handles the situation and the questions that come with it would mean a lot.

Edit: Actually corps response would carry more weight than the charges....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

But I'm having a difficult time coming up with a scenario where I would feel comfortable with Randy being my daughter's teacher.

Why? All he did - ALL HE DID - was attempt consenting sex with another adult. Yes, it might have been on public property, which despite the apparent seclusion of the spot, might make this a crime. But what is the relation to children and teaching? Isn't the answer none?

Keep in mind that the crime with which he was charged was a misdemeanor, not a felony. It's also an order of magnitude or two below the categories for DWI and most drug offenses. How many teachers whom we respect have have had their names recorded on the police blotter for misdemeanors? Are they all ineligible for teaching?

HH

Edited by glory

Actually, you've heard it in abundance but chosen to ignore it. Maybe Colts weighed your perception of risk against this man's fundamental character and recognized the clear upside of opportunity over the limited downside of his potential for harm. What should also be obvious is the nature of the alleged infraction, which concerned consenting adults only. No violence, no coersion, no reason for Colts - or for you, for that matter - to be concerned that this man is a threat to the organization.

HH

Apparently the arresting officer was NOT a CONSENTING adult, and this was not in a private place.

Personally if I had a kid wanting to join Colts I'd be emailing with a lot of very specific questions (I have some in mind). Then depending on the response I'd decide if my kid could join. Again, not condemning the man but would be more careful in dealing with corps. And how the corps management handles the situation and the questions that come with it would mean a lot.

Edit: Actually corps response would carry more weight than the charges....

Would you feel the same if he'd been arrested instead for littering on public property? Smoking a joint on public property? Public intoxication? Virtually any other misdemeanor?

I ask because there is no evidence at all of any intent except to engage another adult in a consenting sexual act. Surely we wouldn't object had this same overture been made behind closed doors. So the only issue - for us or the courts - is the public venue. There is no suggestion of any intent to put himself on display for anyone other than the intended partner. So it might be crime in general that's the concern, right? If the same officer arrested him instead for littering or being under the influence, would you have the same concerns? Ask the corps the same questions?

HH