Privacy in Corps? Or lack thereof?

Exactly... a lot of times when periods are only 45-50 min, subtract 10 min to change, and youve really only got 30 min in PE... even less if you add time for everyone to shower.

Oh so you were the smelly kid in my class. Glad you had morning PE so you got to smell all day long. Very hygenic too

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Stars spring training site apparently had double-curtained shower areas that were sectioned off for individual showers...if that makes sense lol. you could shower and change in privacy. at least for the duration of them being in indy

Boy, I am surely a dinosaur. I grew up in the midwest in the late '60s and early '70s when it was still common practice at many YMCA pools to require suitless swimming. Filtration systems were bad and fuzz, lint, strings, soap, and dirt off suits would muck up the pool pretty bad. The answer...you literally HAD to swim naked. (No coed swim sessions were even offered, of course.) We were required to take a shower before getting into the pool, and then all entrances from the locker room into the pool (which was indoor, of course) had this 3" deep little wading pool with disinfectant you had to step through to make sure you weren't dragging any grossness in via your feet. I was five when I took my first swim lessons, which is of course an age most kids have no body consciousness issues, so swimming naked was really no big deal at all.

The Y pool was renovated sometime when I was in HS, and the filtration system must have been updated because they started requiring suits during newly offered coed sessions. For quite a while though (I can't recall when they stopped) they continued to offer all boy or all girl swims where suits were optional. And believe it or not, lots of kids still chose to go skinny dipping. It was just part of the culture. The Y was really the only place I swam, other than the river, so being naked in front of friends was pretty much normalized from the get-go.

That really helped make summer camp and PE showers be no big deal a few years later.

So, getting back to the subject, by the first time I marched drum corps, showering with friends was something I'd been doing for a decade. And looking back, I think almost all of us during that era grew up that way.

Boy, I am surely a dinosaur. I grew up in the midwest in the late '60s and early '70s when it was still common practice at many YMCA pools to require suitless swimming.

Man, that gives a whole new meaning to the Village People's song. ;)

is there remotely any privacy in any corps?

(such as for showering?)

or is it something you just have to deal with...?

Just something to deal with. It's just not something that you think about after awhile. In fact in both '97 and '98 we'd sing accapella and got quite good at it. During one of the camps in '98 we'd been singing and I was the last one out. I love singing and have a decent tenor voice and was belting out a tune when 3 of the female BK members came to investigate. They didn't know that any of us were still showering so I did what anyone would- No not that- I stared at them and without missing a beat asked them to throw me a towel. Was I embarrassed? Nah... I was used to it by then. The funniest moment though came in '1997 when we realized that the locker rooms at Council Bluffs HS were adjoined. We wondered where a mystery door from our shower went and when we opened it- there the BK lovely ladies. They didn't panic and neither did we, just shut the door and apologized. It was still fun though!! :thumbup:

WP

Just something to deal with. It's just not something that you think about after awhile. In fact in both '97 and '98 we'd sing accapella and got quite good at it. During one of the camps in '98 we'd been singing and I was the last one out. I love singing and have a decent tenor voice and was belting out a tune when 3 of the female BK members came to investigate. They didn't know that any of us were still showering so I did what anyone would- No not that- I stared at them and without missing a beat asked them to throw me a towel. Was I embarrassed? Nah... I was used to it by then. The funniest moment though came in '1997 when we realized that the locker rooms at Council Bluffs HS were adjoined. We wondered where a mystery door from our shower went and when we opened it- there the BK lovely ladies. They didn't panic and neither did we, just shut the door and apologized. It was still fun though!! :thumbup:

WP

hahaha, love drum corps happenings like that.

I'm impressed how far this topic has gotten haha but I dealt with the issue the way everyone else did, you just don't really tend to care about some things on tour privacy being one of them

rookie year was amazing - that is all

Man, that gives a whole new meaning to the Village People's song. ;)

Well, that was the meaning for a long time. Scary to be made aware of it, eh? :thumbup:

Oh so you were the smelly kid in my class. Glad you had morning PE so you got to smell all day long. Very hygenic too

Oh for shame we don't waste more time in school on things like a shower when you've only been working out maybe half an hour.