DCI 2010 Tour Schedule

Ben

Another good reason it stinks, I am with you, it stinks, but after 37 years and only one big show, a DCI nut would move to where the action is, and leave the beauty behind. :tongue:

Yeah but then I wouldn't be able to march with the Renegades and I would probably end up somewhere like the Buccaneers and I am not ready to drink that Kool-Aid either! Which would be blue and taste like scrapple :tongue:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is that, like a 2-1/2 hr drive? Sounds very doable. :tongue:

That's my plan. La Crosse friday, Minneapolis saturday, and Back home to West Des Moines for the show sunday.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the July 5th show in Bridgeport. This will be the first time since 2004 that there will be DCI competition in Connecticut with Division 1/World Class corps and the first time since 2002 Bridgeport will host a Division 1/World Class competition. The area is a pretty good hotbed for drum corps interest too- not as big as the Midwest of course, but we still have interest in the area due to competitive high school bands and the Connecticut Hurricanes DCA corps. Before now, the closest show for a lot of people in the area was The Cadets' home show (hour and a half away) or Allentown (3 hours away), which I believe prevented the more casual drum corps fans from seeing a good drum corps show, so it should be a fun time for all attending.

A small show- only Spirit, Crossmen, BAC and Phantom are scheduled so far to perform- but a show nonetheless. No venue has been announced, but I will bet more than anything that it will be Kennedy Stadium, which has surprisingly played a big role in drum corps history, playing host to 2 of the first 3 DCA Championships and multiple World Junior and Senior Championships (you know, before DCI existed...). No "name" has been given to show either, so I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has picked up the duties of hosting the show yet...hopefully it will still go on....

the activity is shrinking everywhere

It's shrinkage! It's shrinkage!

<$1 to George Costanza>

I can understand that the left coast doesn't get the high level, late season attention they desire. That being said -

One simple measure that can be used for comparison is the number of shows in a given state. By that measure, they're doing OK.

The largest number of shows in any single state is California with 13. (Next closest are Ohio, Pennsylvania and Texas.)

To compare: in the 48 contiguous states, there are 11 states that have 0 shows.

IMO, considering the relatively small number of World Class corps available for a national tour, I think DCI does a pretty good job covering the majority of the geography.

There have been multiple threads on DCP about how regional touring would be much more preferable (for a variety of reasons) to the model they use now. If that ever does happen, the amount of coverage that we see today would drop significantly. Be careful what you wish for.

California: 3 WC corps (2 "Top 6"), 9* OC corps (3 finalists), and 2 All-Age corps (1 finalist).

The rest of the country:

Texas: 1 WC, 2* OC, 3 All-Age

Wisconsin: 3 WC, 2* OC, 1 All-Age

New Jersey: 1 WC, 2 OC, 3 All-Age

New York: 5 All-Age

Ohio: 2 WC, 1 OC, 1* All-Age

Georgia: 1 WC, 2 All-Age

Minnesota: 3 All-Age

Illinois: 2 WC

Colorado: 1 WC, 1* All-Age

Connecticut: 1 OC, 1 All-Age

Tennessee: 1 OC, 1 All-Age

North Carolina: 1 WC, 1 All-Age

Florida: 1 WC, 1 All-Age

Pennsylvania: 1 WC, 1 All-Age

Michigan: 1 OC, 1 All-Age

Iowa: 1 WC, 1 OC

Washington: 1 WC, 1* OC

Wyoming: 1 WC

Arizona: 1 WC

Massachusetts: 1 WC

Oregon: 1 OC

New Hampshire: 1* OC

Kansas: 1* All-Age

To compare: in the 48 contiguous states, there are 11 states that have 0 shows.

And 24 states with no drum corps.

The entire country of Canada: 3 OC, 1 All-Age, 0 shows

*Counting Forte, Chippewa Valley, City Sound, Spartans, Spokane Thunder, High Country Brass, Cincinnati Tradition and Prairie Sound.

Add another OC Corps to the Texas list since Genesis (Rio Grande Valley) is holding their open house this weekend. They are building out of the Texas members and staff from Mystikal

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the July 5th show in Bridgeport. This will be the first time since 2004 that there will be DCI competition in Connecticut with Division 1/World Class corps and the first time since 2002 Bridgeport will host a Division 1/World Class competition. The area is a pretty good hotbed for drum corps interest too- not as big as the Midwest of course, but we still have interest in the area due to competitive high school bands and the Connecticut Hurricanes DCA corps. Before now, the closest show for a lot of people in the area was The Cadets' home show (hour and a half away) or Allentown (3 hours away), which I believe prevented the more casual drum corps fans from seeing a good drum corps show, so it should be a fun time for all attending.

A small show- only Spirit, Crossmen, BAC and Phantom are scheduled so far to perform- but a show nonetheless. No venue has been announced, but I will bet more than anything that it will be Kennedy Stadium, which has surprisingly played a big role in drum corps history, playing host to 2 of the first 3 DCA Championships and multiple World Junior and Senior Championships (you know, before DCI existed...). No "name" has been given to show either, so I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has picked up the duties of hosting the show yet...hopefully it will still go on....

is this tied to the Barnum show?