DCI Direct

We're happy to present the first edition of the new DCI Direct feature - written by DCI's Bob Jacobs. You'll find the column on the front page of the site at www.drumcorpsplanet.com

For some background on the intent of this new feature column and the announcement - visit this link.

We'll look forward to your comments and discussion.

Thanks

-john

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article, but here is what I got out of it...

Lucas Oil is a great stadium...however it sounded bad...here is a list of people that also thought it sounded bad and want to help.

The article mentions that they have had meetings, listened to other evets, etc, but it speaks nothing of what the actual proposed changes are. That is what the people want to know. We all know it sounded like doo doo in there, but can you give us some actual substance into what you are trying to change?

No blaming the author, as I'm sure this is sent through DCI first, but that article felt like a lot of fluff in my opinion.

Glad to see that DCI officials acknowledged the problems with sound and are working on it. To dismiss the whole thing as fluff is a tad harsh, in my opinion. The article even said the logistics of beginning to find the roots of problems and then proposing solutions is an arduous task. I can understand that it will take time. But like JTS said, it will be nice to actually hear what some of the proposed solutions are with updates along the way (hopefully).

First, thanks to Bob for undertaking this effort . . .it's appreciated.

A series of articles outlining discussions with each of the experts from their unique points of view will be published on DCI.org over the next several weeks, and there will undoubtedly be additional discussion within the forums of Drum Corps Planet as well. Included in the interview series are perspectives from . . .

These upcoming "viewpoint articles" are where I hope we get into the meat of the issue with folks, especially Frank Dorritie and Tom Blair. I think that if you level with people as to what the issues are, what is specifically being done to address them, and what we can expect next year . . .that most people are going to be willing to listen.

There's much more that we can cover: Open class versus World, design issues, a final answer on where and how to judge amplification, achievement versus difficulty, and so on. I hope we can keep things going towards those ends as we wing our way towards 2010.

Anyway, it's a good first stab . . .let's all try to meet in the middle along the way and, hopefully, facilitate great discussion along the way.

I'm with Lance and Bawker. The article admitted the challenges and indicated a desire to improve. A plan is set and steps are being taken. There is, however, an understanding that conditions won't be such that any modifications can be accurately tested until the real competition in August. In the meantime, DCI committed to informing us. I'll be reading.

HH - already ordered his seats for next year

Interesting article, but here is what I got out of it...

Lucas Oil is a great stadium...however it sounded bad...here is a list of people that also thought it sounded bad and want to help.

The article mentions that they have had meetings, listened to other evets, etc, but it speaks nothing of what the actual proposed changes are. That is what the people want to know. We all know it sounded like doo doo in there, but can you give us some actual substance into what you are trying to change?

No blaming the author, as I'm sure this is sent through DCI first, but that article felt like a lot of fluff in my opinion.

i'm ok with the fact they don't have answers yet. it means they arent doing a slapdash attempt at fixing things and are open to exploring many options

Okay, maybe fluff was a bit too dramatic. And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the outreach from DCI in this arena.

To me, the writing seems a bit circuitous, that's all. The gist that I got out of it was that they know there is a problem...so what?

Anywho, very much looking forward to the following installments. This is definitely a step in the right direction. After all, the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem.

What about all the professional work that was supposed to have been done to ensure the quality of the listening experience BEFORE the 2009 World Championships?

It wasn't sufficient. That is acknowledged. And now they are trying to improve the experience.

HH