DCI Direct

I don't know that 20,000 people are needed because I bet people would be willing to be assigned seats to help get a good distribution of listening positions tested. Maybe a person could be given a good seat for one corps and a less optimum seat (no bad seats in LOS, right?) for the other corps. The main thing is you wouldn't get the sound dampening benefits of all the bodies you have during championship week.

Frankly, we don't need 20,000 people in seats for a test. Quarterfinalists perform to 5,000 fans; open-class to 2,000 or less. Acoustic solutions need to work for audiences of all sizes.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the caption from one of the photos on the DCI news page:

I guess that means they thought it would be a good idea, too.

Garry in Vegas

which is good...I saw it after I asked the question. granted, bands arent always as loud as a drum corps can be ( well unplugged anyways)

Perhaps DCI could hire the Verizon guy to personally sound test each seat while a corps is playing on the field. A DCI rep can communicate with the Verizon guy via 2-way radio..."can you hear me now!!". Bearing in mind, of course, that this IS a domed stadium.

Edited by VOReason

:tongue: I had sent an email detailing my frustrations with LOS and was sent a very cookie-cutter form letter (along with many others on here) and was told that I would be contacted for said survey.

I never received such invitation.

Actually, the Email you posted said did not say you would be contacted...as you rightly noted, you received a form letter that said this about the survey:

Later this month, we will be launching an online customer satisfaction survey, providing our valued fans with the opportunity to contribute important feedback regarding the 2009 World Championships in Indianapolis.

It's not a personal invitation at all...it's just telling you in general terms about something they are doing to canvas the fans.

Actually, the Email you posted said did not say you would be contacted...as you rightly noted, you received a form letter that said this about the survey:

It's not a personal invitation at all...it's just telling you in general terms about something they are doing to canvas the fans.

This is one of those times where i can actually agree. DCI screwed up plenty of things, but telling people that there will be a survey is not the same as saying they will personally receive one. Having an outside survey company run it was the right thing to do IMO.....and all things considered, would you rather have DCI, or an outside company in charge of doing this survey? Not knowing a thing about the survey company, I can tell you my answer....

Argue all you want. What they communicated led me to believe that I would get a chance to voice my concerns in a survey (since this was how they answered my list of issues.) As I have stated, If I take the time to send in a list of concerns/issues, then you tell me there is going to be a survey because so many have been submitted, but NEVER respond to my concerns, you have screwed up. To me this is akin to saying "donating members will receive hats, tickets, etc., "then when I inquire why I haven't gotten mine, they say "well we didn't say ALL members".

How do I know the survey even addresses what I complained about? Somehow lots of posters on here appear to be psychic and know what my issues were and that they were on the survey, so that they are addressing my issues. I AM NOT SATISFIED WITH DCI's action to my email on this, and AS A RESULT THEY WILL NOT GET MY MONEY!!!! IS THIS CLEAR??????? Condescend and call me harsh and unsupportive of this poor understaffed not-for-profit that is trying to do the right thing. Whatever.

Any of you can do the same or continue to support an organization that doesn't listen to you, or even take 30 seconds to tell you to take a flying leap or that your issues are important and there will be personal follow up. It isn't that difficult to do unless you're extremely disorganized or JUST DON"T CARE.

The consumer ALWAYS wins.

… How do I know the survey even addresses what I complained about? Somehow lots of posters on here appear to be psychic and know what my issues were and that they were on the survey, so that they are addressing my issues. I AM NOT SATISFIED WITH DCI's action to my email on this, and AS A RESULT THEY WILL NOT GET MY MONEY!!!! IS THIS CLEAR??????? Condescend and call me harsh and unsupportive of this poor understaffed not-for-profit that is trying to do the right thing. Whatever.…

It’s clear alright. You made it clear there is nothing DCI can do to win you over. Having made the mistake of not spelling out for you that surveys are randomized, DCI apparently has lost you. I’m not psychic as you said. I don’t know what issue you had at LOS. I don’t know why those issues can’t be communicated in a letter to DCI officials, why they must be delivered only by survey. But you obviously feel passionately about the situation, which is your right.

You have no reason to take advice from me, but I I will offer it anyway. Maybe you’ll reconsider? Rather than condemn the organization and the activity for one imperfect communication, maybe you’ll take a broader view? Maybe you’ll give a communication channel like DCI Direct a chance? You never know.

HH

To me this is akin to saying "donating members will receive hats, tickets, etc., "then when I inquire why I haven't gotten mine, they say "well we didn't say ALL members".

Apparently you dont understand how a survey works. It is nothing like giving out free stuff, so that example makes no sense.

Look - you can analyze my posting in threads about LOS, and they have been very negative, both towards the stadium, and DCI's response. I also understand that their customer service was poor in your case...but I dont find this form letter, or the survey to really be the problem here.

That is a very disappointing statement from DCI

I can see it’s pointless to resolve any issue with DCI as their fix doesn’t seem much of a fix but more like public relation’s spin to help slumping tickets sales.

To all those worried about paying high prices for bad seats, the awful sound is a great equalizer, just pick seats for the site lines because all sound is bad. Go for the cheaper tickets in the 500 and 600 levels

I spoke with that Ear Amp guy at finals week and sat near him on day. I found toilet paper in the eras more effective for damping the reverb

now back to the DCI posted link

"that no venue is “perfect” acoustically, not even La Scala, the legendary opera house in Milan, Italy, or New York City’s famed Carnegie Hall."

Howe true and La Scala would be awful at hosting a professional football game

I love hyperbole as much as anyone but really?

'but more like an airplane hangar with extremely tall sides with highly reflective characteristics.” These characteristics, he says, could be mitigated—to some degree, at least—by hanging layers of appropriate fabric in strategic places."

Yes, the pageantry worlds answer to everything; More FABRIC maybe it will boost Locus’s visual score too

(Personally I think they need to break up the vertical so maybe a dropped ceiling might work better something like this)

dekalb_3reducpic.jpg

and here you have it....

'Opening the roof might also help slightly, Dorritie says, while adding that doing so could present other logistical problems. " No one can tell you what the overall sound will be like in LOS with an open roof until you actually put some groups in there and play,” he cautions. “My guess is, it won't make much overall difference for corps audiences except those who are sitting closest to the ceiling, and even then it may just introduce other negative issues. Besides, it's an academic question, in my opinion. The roof will remain closed due to potential weather issues. The task is to maximize the size of the acoustic sweet spot inside the venue, with the roof closed. More detail than this will have to wait until there are some real-time experiments.”

The one solution that might help slightly and would not cost any extra money, they haven’t even tried nor will they try

Yes, I know, if they open the roof they can’t hang the curtain and that fancy DCI sign that they spent all their “Indy” money on and yeah…if they open it for semi’s and it rains for finals, they won’t have time to put up the curtain (unless thy hired a ton of extra labor and paid them to haul….or maybe not) but will it really sound that much worse without the curtain and roof closed? We’ll never know because they never tested it

Nice to see the expert sound engineers offering his advice on a guess and DCI* will follow it

7 years of bland shows and BOA will surpass DCI in exciting programming of music and I maintain that if you are serious about designing a DOME show, you lose the battery all together

yeah, this is not a fix...its an excuse and a hint at a fix to sell tickets...any change or fix will be minimal and so will its results ...I wonder how much money DCI will dump into doing nothing but flying the expert titles around....hope its a ton, starve the beast I say

Ugh !!!