DCI Direct

Based on the input of experts attending the 2009 event, combined with detailed feedback from corps directors and performers and the results of the comprehensive research with ticket purchasers conducted on behalf of Drum Corps International by an independent consulting firm

I never got my survey. I called my DCI friends rep and she said she would send me a link, even gave me a time frame. I never got it, funny I get all her and DCI's other e-mails. I followed up with 2 more e-mails after her promised date came and went, they were roundly ignored. I’m a fancy friend too, one of the 4 digit donation, name in the program types of friends. Part of the reason I’m going to be so vocal here is because I’ve been so completely blown of by DCI. Seems they don't want to hear from me. I also sent her an e-mail upon my return from finals, thanking her for the seats and expressing my displeasure with the sound and no reply

I tried to give my feedback through official channels but...

I haven't bought my tickets for next year, am not renewing my friends membership, don’t really have a plans to go to DCI 2010, didn’t buy the 2009 DVD all things I normally would have done by now but I was so disappointed with the sound at the dome and then insulted by the customer service from DCI

by the way, my friends rep initials are D P, if you really do want to address this DCI

and a tip to other friends, the sound in the 'friends' seats is about the worst in the stadium, if you are a friend to get 'good seats' and your version of 'good' means good sound, just skip the friends thing...

overall, I do read this as fluff a piece... a trust us, come buy our tickets, we will fix it THIS time, really, buy our tickets...buy our tickets....trust us...it will sound good when we get 20,000 in the seats for final....20,000, wow, way to set the bar low so I guess that 5k at quarters is SOL and its now your fault it sounds bad because we can’t get 20 K to show... :thumbup:

there is nothing specific here, no new blood involved, no we’re sorry, here have a free ticket or t-shirt, just more of the same bull

How about an unconditional money back guarantee DCI? If I buy the seat and I don’t like the sound, will you give me my money back? One of your staff laughed in my face when I told that at the Dome this past fall

you are 0/2 in Indy DCI how many more blown years can you afford?

I can wait Indy out, doubt you can and yeah, I'm that guy that has been to over 25 finals but no more, it was that bad

Edited by cowtown

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at all the titles there I don’t really see one that screams ‘I have the technical skills to design and install an acoustical fix.’

Who are the acoustic experts, the one that designed and installed acoustically successfully concerts halls, who draws up the plans?

I can't say I'm with you on a lot of what you're saying, but this is kind of hard to argue with.

Glad to see that DCI officials acknowledged the problems with sound and are working on it. To dismiss the whole thing as fluff is a tad harsh, in my opinion. The article even said the logistics of beginning to find the roots of problems and then proposing solutions is an arduous task. I can understand that it will take time. But like JTS said, it will be nice to actually hear what some of the proposed solutions are with updates along the way (hopefully).

What Lance said.

DCI (or any other organization in any field of interest) will never please everyone, but it is nice to know they are listening and are doing whatever they can to improve the experience for the fans and performers at DCI Championships.

Fran

We're happy to present the first edition of the new DCI Direct feature - written by DCI's Bob Jacobs. You'll find the column on the front page of the site at www.drumcorpsplanet.com

For some background on the intent of this new feature column and the announcement - visit this link.

We'll look forward to your comments and discussion.

Thanks

-john

Thanks for assisting in an open line of communication.

John and Bob well done. I look forward to seeing what else is discussed.

Okay, maybe fluff was a bit too dramatic. And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the outreach from DCI in this arena.

To me, the writing seems a bit circuitous, that's all. The gist that I got out of it was that they know there is a problem...so what?

Anywho, very much looking forward to the following installments. This is definitely a step in the right direction. After all, the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem.

After reading the thread I think your "fluff" characterization was right-on. There wasn't a single concrete item that addressed the problem.

They're acknowledging that there's a problem . ( Didn't they already do that? )

They're discussing the possibility of maybe trying to do something. ( Pretty much the definition of fluff. )

They've gone to other events to gather additional anecdotal evidence. (so fluffy I lol'd)

They're having meetings about it. (which is great if there are people in the meeting who know how to identify and fix the problems. with all due respect to the names listed i don't think there are any acoustic engineers specializing in stadiums and concert halls on the list. otherwise having meetings is just another episode of the office)

Non-fluff would be "DCI and the Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce have retained Acme Acoustical Engineering and Consulting" to study the Lucas Oil situation and present the best solutions available within our budgetary constraints.

The other disappointing thing about the whole DCI Direct situation is that it's a basically a re-branded press release. I guess I imagined a little too much when I read the description (as in the fan base asks questions and DCI answer questions). Instead it's a carefully worded press release that appeared on DCP instead of DCI.org.

Edited by corpsband

The other disappointing thing about the whole DCI Direct situation is that it's a basically a re-branded press release. I guess I imagined a little too much when I read the description (as in the fan base asks questions and DCI answer questions). Instead it's a carefully worded press release that appeared on DCP instead of DCI.org.

Give it some time; I can't speak for Bob directly, but he hasn't been shy about posting on here, especially in the Open class forums.

I think if we use the threads that these articles generate as the basis for pointed questions . . .and not as an excuse to villify DCI (and I've certainly done my part over the years with that on here, heh) . . .then maybe we can work on getting specifics delivered. We all have to meet in the middle somewhere along the way, though.

In regards to LOS, I think it's certainly not too much to ask to know specifically what is being done, who is being contracted to do it, and what their timeframe and hoped outcome will be.

The sound situation peeved a lot of people. Rightfully so.

This, then, can be an olive branch on either side to try to muddle through some of the misconceptions and mistrusts that might be held.

The sound issues are well known and well documented here and elsewhere. Now, the ball is in DCI's court, so let's see what they do. This is a great opportunity to make some headway on the issue with a concerned fanbase . . . or to drive people away by only giving generic platitudes.

We're only a day in right now; let's see what happens as the off-season (and these new lines of communication) progresses along.

I never got my survey. I called my DCI friends rep and she said she would send me a link, even gave me a time frame. I never got it, funny I get all her and DCI's other e-mails. I followed up with 2 more e-mails after her promised date came and went, they were roundly ignored. I’m a fancy friend too, one of the 4 digit donation, name in the program types of friends. Part of the reason I’m going to be so vocal here is because I’ve been so completely blown of by DCI. Seems they don't want to hear from me. I also sent her an e-mail upon my return from finals, thanking her for the seats and expressing my displeasure with the sound and no reply

I tried to give my feedback through official channels but...

I haven't bought my tickets for next year, am not renewing my friends membership, don’t really have a plans to go to DCI 2010, didn’t buy the 2009 DVD all things I normally would have done by now but I was so disappointed with the sound at the dome and then insulted by the customer service from DCI

by the way, my friends rep initials are D P, if you really do want to address this DCI

and a tip to other friends, the sound in the 'friends' seats is about the worst in the stadium, if you are a friend to get 'good seats' and your version of 'good' means good sound, just skip the friends thing...

overall, I do read this as fluff a piece... a trust us, come buy our tickets, we will fix it THIS time, really, buy our tickets...buy our tickets....trust us...it will sound good when we get 20,000 in the seats for final....20,000, wow, way to set the bar low so I guess that 5k at quarters is SOL and its now your fault it sounds bad because we can’t get 20 K to show... :thumbup:

there is nothing specific here, no new blood involved, no we’re sorry, here have a free ticket or t-shirt, just more of the same bull

How about an unconditional money back guarantee DCI? If I buy the seat and I don’t like the sound, will you give me my money back? One of your staff laughed in my face when I told that at the Dome this past fall

you are 0/2 in Indy DCI how many more blown years can you afford?

I can wait Indy out, doubt you can and yeah, I'm that guy that has been to over 25 finals but no more, it was that bad

I purchased tickets and attended finals in the oil can and did not receive the survey. I also emailed DCI asking about the survey. They said they hadn't gotten to every yet and to wait.

I"M STILL WAITING!

You folks who are bent out of shape because you weren’t invited to take the survey might want to take a chill pill instead.

First of all, as I said in another thread, surveys are supposed to be randomized. You don’t invite yourself to participate because that might skew the results. You weren’t part of the random sample. Big whup.

Second and more important relates to the big whup. You don’t have to take the survey to share your opinion. If you have something you think DCI should know, send them a letter and tell them. The funny thing is that’s probably a better way to convey your thoughts because your words won’t be filtered through some statistician (as they will be in the survey).

The survey is a tool. It’s not a magic wand. And it’s over. So let’s move on.

HH

I’ve heard this all before, how they had all these experts, how it was state of the art for sound, how the intent was to have the roof and the window open and yet...

I don’t see the experts, I don’t see the change, I see the same people that delivered a sub-par and late product already.

oh, and I have more

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. And your money is as valuable as anyone else's. But I'm Bob Jacobs or any other DCI official and I'm writing you off.

I'm writing you off because it sounds as if there is nothing we can do to please you. The money-back guarantee isn't happening because it's not a sustainable business option. Moving to Bloomington or any other stadium isn't happening because we haven't given up on Lucas Oil providing an overall positive experience for fans attending. Trying to explain to you how we've identified the issues, are taking them seriously and are hopeful for a resolution that you will accept isn't working because you choose to be cynical and dismissive - anything other than supportive or even patient.

So if I'm a DCI official, I thank you for your opinion, I note its validity, but I don't listen anymore because I can't help you. I turn my attention to the other fans because I recognize the opportunity to make a difference for someone - someone else.

HH