DCI Direct

A few thoughts to hopefully add to the conversation on this topic thus far...

– Although I'm swamped with many projects on any given day, I'm going to do my best to keep tabs on the discussions following each release of a DCI Direct feature, in order to provide additional information and insights and to be able to address some of the questions and concerns that are within my wheelhouse. I realize that the format of a discussion forum such as this creates an opportunity for immediate response... but from the standpoint of "expectation management," I must confess that that's not always going to be possible, based on the demands of the day. I'll give it my best shot, however, not to fall off of the face of the earth when timely responses are appropriate.

– Please know that the goal here isn't merely to dump more "fluff" into the world... but I'm also trying to be very sensitive to NOT making statements or promises about things over which I / we have no control. For example – a good deal of discussion surrounding just one of the proposed improvements to the acoustical environment at LOS involves temporarily hanging fabric in various places in order to help absorb reflected sound at our events. Remember that for NFL games, it would stand to reason that the home team usually WANTS there to be as much reflected sound as possible... and I've read that some stadiums actually pipe in "audience noise" to help bolster the roar of the crowd. Although there is every reason to believe that there will be "stuff hanging all over the place" when we walk through the doors next August, I haven't yet been privy to a finalized plan regarding the placement of said fabric... therefore, I am reluctant to compromise my credibility (especially on the first submission! :thumbup:) by making statements that are outside of my zone of control at this point in time. This is why some of the content of my submission may seem somewhat less than forthcoming. If that appears "fluffy," I understand and acknowledge that... but please know that as I hang my neck out here on the chopping block, I'm hoping to earn the trust of my would-be executioners! :thumbup:

– Customer service issues are important to everyone at DCI, and there is a renewed commitment in this area. The DCI Direct column is but one tiny piece of that renewed commitment, and is a small part of the overall effort to change the way things have been done. We can choose to spend additional pages and pages documenting dropped balls and ruffled feathers... but I'm trying to "put the blinders on" and charge forward to contribute as a part of the bigger team effort to help improve things along the road ahead. If you have unresolved issues with the DCI customer service department, the Friends of DCI program, or what-have-you, I'll be happy to pass them along on your behalf, and we will follow-through until the issue is resolved.

– The post-season survey was randomized and was handled by an independent marketing research firm, both in order to keep it "clean," and to help the tremendous workload of the small DCI professional staff. Getting the survey out the door was a priority... we wanted to capture impressions while they were still relatively fresh... but we knew that with the workload that already exists in the wake of a championship event, outsourcing that survey was the most efficient manner in which to get it done. If any of those who wished to take the survey were given bad information by someone over the phone, I apologize. If anyone would still like to share their impressions, feel free to send them to me personally (bjacobs@dci.org), or feel free to submit them through the regular DCI customer service channel dci.org/support. I can assure you that I will respond to any and all e-mail sent to me... but it might take a day or two (or five, depending on the week!)

– There are a number of topics and issues of interest to the DCP community... and eventually we hope to get to all of them... but if you have something you'd like to suggest for a future column, feel free to pass it along. We're attempting to get this into a regular cycle so we can get this communication pipeline flowing at a good pace and get the momentum building for another great season of enjoying the activity we share.

Thanks for all of the great feedback so far.

Sincerely,

Bob

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are delivering - in the form of this column. That's the point, not that a few people are disappointed they didn't get to participate in the survey. You said it yourself: DCI usually delivers.

HH

I agree, this is a step in the right direction, I just hope thet DCI takes this as seriously as it's fans "will". This sound issue needs a fix to continue to grow this activity as the finest activity of this type. This is too significant to not get fixed. Lets be sure that this process continues honestly and in the end if the fix is not there, I hope DCI will come to terms with it and not let money or egos carry the day. I am confident an organization as fine as DCI will do so. I am a lifetime fan and can't imagine going forward disapointed by this issue not being solved one way or another.

Thanks Bob!

The biggest thing that concerned me about the original post is that the folks at DCI seem to believe that the sound is the sole problem with Lucas. Yet I’ve heard from many fans and seen many postings showing displeasure with the sightlines and the facilities as well. Not sure if the random group selected for the survey had no problems with these things or if the survey simply did not ask the right questions to obtain this feedback.

First for the views. There are far, far fewer good high seats between the 35’s than in any stadium we have ever been in (the only stadium that was worse for views was the Rose Bowl). And the limited high seats are much further back from the field than in most stadiums. This is both a visual and aural experience and with corps like The Cadets and Cavies in the mix, the visual feast delivered deserves a better stadium than Lucas. You can’t fix the visual problem even if you can improve the sound.

Second the facility itself. While there are areas with “wide concourses” did anyone at DCI try to walk around behind the seating area between performances? Trying to get to and from the bathrooms was a nightmare (especially seeing they are all at the far ends of the building) and the placement of the food service and dining/seating areas was such that you had to walk through lines of people waiting to buy food in order to get to the escalator (and that was after walking past the dining area where the walkway barely allowed three people abreast and where, at one point, a huge beam narrowed the walkway down to barely fit two across). And this doesn't even cover the fiasco of trying to get to and from the souvie area. You can’t fix the facilities.

Hopefully the improved sound will compensate for the bad sightlines and frustrating building configuration. But wouldn’t a return to Madison, Foxboro, Buffalo, and even, dare I say, Orlando be a less expensive and more fan-focused fix for at least the sight and sound issues (really the two things that are a MUST for a good finals venue)?

And we haven’t even touched on the many, many, many fans who have complained about finals being in the same city for 10 years in a row when this is the one major vacation many of us can afford each year and we don’t see the entertainment value in returning to Indianapolis (or ANY city for that matter) for ten years in a row!!!

Classify me with the people you “just can’t please” if you want but this is the first time in over 20 years of attending finals that I am seriously considering staying home or attending only once every few years. And the six friends I attend finals with every year feel very much the same way.

but as pointed out, usually isn't always.and if you intend to do a random survey, you don't tell people that contact you to expect the survey if you aren't 100% sure those folks are getting it. that's just..well..misleading.

It's not misleading, it's a mistake. There's a difference.

HH

It's not misleading, it's a mistake. There's a difference.

HH

and eitheris bad for business. remember, the road to hell can be paved with good intentions.

not that I want to keep beating DCI up over this, but you keep making excuses for it and trying to blow it off.

This too ###### many people off. DCI can't afford to keep doing that.

:thumbup: I had sent an email detailing my frustrations with LOS and was sent a very cookie-cutter form letter (along with many others on here) and was told that I would be contacted for said survey.

I never received such invitation.

I've been an avid supporter of DCI since 1984 and defended the organization when it made its decision to move to Indy. I was appalled and felt cheated both by my end-zone "super duper greatest seating for $125 a ticket" , and the horrific viewing/listening" experience. I almost didn't go to the performance on Finals night I was so ###### off even though I had already paid for the seats. That's HOW BAD.

You won't see me at finals this year. I'll save my dollars for local venues that are outdoor.

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice..........."

stadium.jpg

If you can feed good about marketing this seat as super premium you should check your integrity.

I give up on the image command after about 20 tries. Has it been disabled?

Edited by Wadep66

I had sent an email detailing my frustrations with LOS and was sent a very cookie-cutter form letter (along with many others on here) and was told that I would be contacted for said survey...

I would love to see that note (the form letter, that is). Maybe you'll share?

HH

Edited by glory