DCI Direct

I would love to see that note (the form letter, that is). Maybe you'll share?

HH

We thank you for sharing your thoughts and for your continued support of the organizations which comprise Drum Corps International.

Later this month, we will be launching an online customer satisfaction survey, providing our valued fans with the opportunity to contribute important feedback regarding the 2009 World Championships in Indianapolis.

Our goal is to provide an exceptional experience for the more than 5,000 performers taking the field of competition and for each of their loyal fans and supporters. With your assistance, we will work to continue to improve the quality of the World Championships as a celebration of the outstanding achievements of the world's most elite marching music ensembles.

Thank you again for your continued support of Drum Corps International and its member corps.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We thank you for sharing your thoughts and for your continued support of the organizations which comprise Drum Corps International.

Later this month, we will be launching an online customer satisfaction survey, providing our valued fans with the opportunity to contribute important feedback regarding the 2009 World Championships in Indianapolis.

Our goal is to provide an exceptional experience for the more than 5,000 performers taking the field of competition and for each of their loyal fans and supporters. With your assistance, we will work to continue to improve the quality of the World Championships as a celebration of the outstanding achievements of the world's most elite marching music ensembles.

Thank you again for your continued support of Drum Corps International and its member corps.

That's indeed the email I received after sending DCI my email of concern.

Not true on either count, which is why I am blowing off you and this part of the discussion.

HH

not in sales are you?

didn't think so.

That's indeed the email I received after sending DCI my email of concern.

looks familiar to me too.

As I suspected. The response from DCI doesn't promise to invite any one individual to participate in the survey. This notion that lots of people were promised they specifically would be surveyed is bunk.

HH

Thanks Bob!

The biggest thing that concerned me about the original post is that the folks at DCI seem to believe that the sound is the sole problem with Lucas. Yet I’ve heard from many fans and seen many postings showing displeasure with the sightlines and the facilities as well. Not sure if the random group selected for the survey had no problems with these things or if the survey simply did not ask the right questions to obtain this feedback.

First for the views. There are far, far fewer good high seats between the 35’s than in any stadium we have ever been in (the only stadium that was worse for views was the Rose Bowl). And the limited high seats are much further back from the field than in most stadiums. This is both a visual and aural experience and with corps like The Cadets and Cavies in the mix, the visual feast delivered deserves a better stadium than Lucas. You can’t fix the visual problem even if you can improve the sound.

Second the facility itself. While there are areas with “wide concourses” did anyone at DCI try to walk around behind the seating area between performances? Trying to get to and from the bathrooms was a nightmare (especially seeing they are all at the far ends of the building) and the placement of the food service and dining/seating areas was such that you had to walk through lines of people waiting to buy food in order to get to the escalator (and that was after walking past the dining area where the walkway barely allowed three people abreast and where, at one point, a huge beam narrowed the walkway down to barely fit two across). And this doesn't even cover the fiasco of trying to get to and from the souvie area. You can’t fix the facilities.

Hopefully the improved sound will compensate for the bad sightlines and frustrating building configuration. But wouldn’t a return to Madison, Foxboro, Buffalo, and even, dare I say, Orlando be a less expensive and more fan-focused fix for at least the sight and sound issues (really the two things that are a MUST for a good finals venue)?

And we haven’t even touched on the many, many, many fans who have complained about finals being in the same city for 10 years in a row when this is the one major vacation many of us can afford each year and we don’t see the entertainment value in returning to Indianapolis (or ANY city for that matter) for ten years in a row!!!

Classify me with the people you “just can’t please” if you want but this is the first time in over 20 years of attending finals that I am seriously considering staying home or attending only once every few years. And the six friends I attend finals with every year feel very much the same way.

I took the survey, and everything you experienced I experienced. I gave those areas the lowest marks I could. As a matter of fact there were comment areas and I told them about said experience at LOS.

I did not go to Finals. I went to Semi's. I bought my ticket at the walk up window and sat on the 45 yard-line in the 600 section. So how did DCI know I attended a Show at LOS? The only thing I filled out with my info. Was the card you had to fill out to get the Fan Pass. Seems to me this is how DCI chose their sample. Or it may be just part of their sample.

Dean

As I suspected. The response from DCI doesn't promise to invite any one individual to participate in the survey. This notion that lots of people were promised they specifically would be surveyed is bunk.

HH

Wow, you're right. Do you feel better now? Is that what you wanted? To prove that many of us misinterpreted DCI's intentions? Way to go!

It doesn't say "we promise you will be a participant in an upcoming survey". What it says is that there will be an online survey to allow DCI's valued fans a chance to give feedback.

So I guess I'm not one of DCI's valued fans?

I had let this whole thing go but after reading this thread the wound has been opened and salt poured in it. I'm more ###### now than ever and this only steels my resolve to not return to LOS.

Since I got a form letter response, I had assumed (of course incorrectly) that:

1) DCI got a lot of feedback from folks

2) They were concerned about what those who wrote in thought

3) They would use the survey to collect the information from said folks and what I had thought would be others who attended but didn't write back as well. This is the reason they didn't respond to a SINGLE THING I HAD TO SHARE

So now I am left to believe:

1) DCI isn't really interested in responding directly to those who shelled out money and felt cheated.

2) They certainly aren't going to share anything they learned or heard

3) If I fall for this again, I am an idiot

So, maybe I am an idiot for thinking that my opinion mattered. It is clear it doesn't.

I don't want to hear any apologies or excuses from anyone at DCI. I will delete it or throw it away. Good luck with keeping your organization afloat with this type of fan management.

Wow, you're right. Do you feel better now? Is that what you wanted? To prove that many of us misinterpreted DCI's intentions? Way to go!

It doesn't say "we promise you will be a participant in an upcoming survey". What it says is that there will be an online survey to allow DCI's valued fans a chance to give feedback.

So I guess I'm not one of DCI's valued fans?

I had let this whole thing go but after reading this thread the wound has been opened and salt poured in it. I'm more ###### now than ever and this only steels my resolve to not return to LOS.

Since I got a form letter response, I had assumed (of course incorrectly) that:

1) DCI got a lot of feedback from folks

2) They were concerned about what those who wrote in thought

3) They would use the survey to collect the information from said folks and what I had thought would be others who attended but didn't write back as well. This is the reason they didn't respond to a SINGLE THING I HAD TO SHARE

So now I am left to believe:

1) DCI isn't really interested in responding directly to those who shelled out money and felt cheated.

2) They certainly aren't going to share anything they learned or heard

3) If I fall for this again, I am an idiot

So, maybe I am an idiot for thinking that my opinion mattered. It is clear it doesn't.

I don't want to hear any apologies or excuses from anyone at DCI. I will delete it or throw it away. Good luck with keeping your organization afloat with this type of fan management.

I'm not sure what the problem is you're getting at, exactly, though I understand your frustration. With regard to the venue, DCI got complaints. They hired an independent firm to survey fans randomly, which improves the reliability of the statistics. If you weren't chosen to participate by the firm conducting the survey, I'm not sure how that equates to DCI not caring about you. Now, if DCI does nothing despite what the survey says, then there's a reason to complain about it.

But the fact that they sought out and hired (probably not all that cheaply) a firm to gauge customer satisfaction is a response to what they heard from fans. We'll see what happens with it, though...

I'm not sure what the problem is you're getting at, exactly, though I understand your frustration. With regard to the venue, DCI got complaints. They hired an independent firm to survey fans randomly, which improves the reliability of the statistics. If you weren't chosen to participate by the firm conducting the survey, I'm not sure how that equates to DCI not caring about you. Now, if DCI does nothing despite what the survey says, then there's a reason to complain about it.

But the fact that they sought out and hired (probably not all that cheaply) a firm to gauge customer satisfaction is a response to what they heard from fans. We'll see what happens with it, though...

I'm not sure why it's hard to figure out. Maybe I expect good customer service? In this day of cheaper/faster/one size fits all I am insane for having that expectation. Shelling out over 500 dollars over 2 days for an experience that fails to deliver surely shouldn't be met with some sort of expectation.

I'm on the board of directors at a large financial institution. Each complaint is answered with a thank you, an investigation, a followup, and a commitment to do better. It is personal and from the CEO. Even someone who only has 5 dollars on deposit will get a response and an attempt to make the situation right.

Lack of this service is the same reason that GM, The USPS, many major Airlines, etc. have failed. I guess DCI doesn't REALLY market that it is a great fan experience, so I suppose maybe they do deliver what they commit and it just isn't what I want? Understand if you want, disagree if you want, it doesn't matter. The customer is always right and will take his/her business elsewhere if they are not satisfied. We each get to make that choice.