Drum Corps Injuries

I don't see how people can march drum corps like The Cadets for 7 or 8 years....

Anyway, the only injury I endured my two years was the shin splint. Anybody remember one method of curing it? Taking a snare stick and rolling the shin out......it HURTS just thinking about it.

After the splints disappeared, I wasn't injured again, although I do remember putting "new hips" on my Christmas wishlist for 2007 and 2009....new hips would have been so nice. :tongue:

My seat partner in 05 had shin splits so bad he had to lay down in the aisle at night to sleep

DOUBLE BUS SEAT FOR ME!!!! :tongue:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My seat partner in 05 had shin splits so bad he had to lay down in the aisle at night to sleep

DOUBLE BUS SEAT FOR ME!!!! :tongue:

I had terrible foot pain all summer, but that didn't keep me out of rehearsal. What did keep me out for two days was an infection in my foot which started creeping up my leg. I'm still not sure what happened, but I had a gash on my ankle that wouldn't heal and a very swollen foot. I let it go for a few days until we got back to WI for some rehearsal days at the Land then went to the ER where they told me it was infected. I'm not thrilled that I missed those two days, but it is what it is.

I had terrible foot pain all summer, but that didn't keep me out of rehearsal. What did keep me out for two days was an infection in my foot which started creeping up my leg. I'm still not sure what happened, but I had a gash on my ankle that wouldn't heal and a very swollen foot. I let it go for a few days until we got back to WI for some rehearsal days at the Land then went to the ER where they told me it was infected. I'm not thrilled that I missed those two days, but it is what it is.

Yeah, while I was lucky, my friends were not. My girlfriend pulled her groin on the same day she was dealing with a stomach virus that was going around (anyone that marched cadets06 remembers it). Oh, she also had an emergency root canal done the day before. She was just laying in her sleeping bag for most of the day....we had to poke her to see if she was alive. My sister hurt herself in multiple ways in 08, as well as reinjuring her back in a place that i damaged when we were playing as kids :tongue: . And lastly, girlfriend's cousin was in and out of the first years she marched, but finally finished up her "age out" this year without any major issues. Like i said, I count my blessings on that front.

They also both had to be carted off the field and back to the buses after the finals show....they couldn't even walk. And people make excuses for that bd mello that hurt her foot in 07 and missed the stepoff....pshhh (I kid, I kid, sort of :tongue: )

And it was fun standing next to you for most of may and june in 06 when you were on drugs....

They were carted from warm-ups to the gate too! Ah, the memories haha.

And yeah, 06 was a fun year in horn arc hahahaha. I didn't know what was going on half the time.

And yeah, 06 was a fun year in horn arc hahahaha. I didn't know what was going on half the time.

No, no you didnt :tongue: . I just remember the day in spring training when chris had to go do something, and you decided to tell the baritones that we should all hide in the bushes before he came back(or maybe it was just the leads). Ahhhh.....i cherish those times when the cadets didnt act like the cadets...... :tongue:

The back pain you're referring to is a pinched nerve. I had the same thing happen this past summer. Its pretty much impossible to try and get rid of.

that's kind of what I thought it felt like... and by that, I mean, that's what I thought a pinched nerve might feel like, as I'd never experienced it before. But then I was thinking "that's a weird place for a nerve"... of course, I have no background that would provide me with any kind of knowledge of where nerves are in the body, lol. I was pretty sure the trainer was wrong though... anyone who has marched drum corps has been sore all over at one point or another, and I was 100% sure this was different pain. I was just happy it went away magically.

Oh, speaking of pinched nerves, I definitely got one in '08 in my arm. Towards the end of the season, too. I'd be holding my horn up, and out of nowhere, my right arm would flare up in pain, to the point where I couldn't even hold it up (and remember, this is the right arm, the arm NOT supporting the weight of the horn). We'd do a full run-through of the show, and as it went on, my right arm would gradually start to slink down until it was practically tucked into my chest...then my chest would tighten up and for some reason I couldn't even hold my horn at parallel, and then I had trouble breathing...the weird thing was, as soon as we finished the run-through, it all went away, and I was fine. I had to march 2 shows like this (and I got a nosebleed as well at one of those shows), and then one of our staff popped my back, and although it didn't help right away, it did mysteriously disappear the next day. Weird.

This post was brought to you by Wall-O-Text.

that's kind of what I thought it felt like... and by that, I mean, that's what I thought a pinched nerve might feel like, as I'd never experienced it before. But then I was thinking "that's a weird place for a nerve"... of course, I have no background that would provide me with any kind of knowledge of where nerves are in the body, lol. I was pretty sure the trainer was wrong though... anyone who has marched drum corps has been sore all over at one point or another, and I was 100% sure this was different pain. I was just happy it went away magically.

Yeah, anywhere in your body that you can feel, you have nerves. Mine happened to be in the center of the left portion of my upper back. It was a totally random pain, nothing in particular seemed to cause it, and nothing particularly seemed to fix it either. It felt like someone was stabbing a knife into a very small spot on my back. I just kept marching. Its okay though because I got another injury later that same week that took me out for the season.

Edit*- by "okay" I mean that it was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do...leave drum corps, that is.

Edited by jamesjones0611