Drum Corps Injuries

Speaking of injuries and members marching through them, or the staff telling the members that the injury was not serious, I know a guard member who fractured her hip around San Antonio a few years ago, was told that it was nothing by the visual staff, the guard staff and her captains and that she needed to keep marching; which she did, for TWO weeks. She finally went home just before championships to have surgery. At what point should the staff have listened to the medical opinions given by doctors and done the right thing, instead of hurting this girls drum corps experience and her in the process?

That's a good question, and I don't think there is a definate line where a staff member can say either "yes" or "no" to a member to tell them weather or not they can march due to an injury. If it's a sore muscle, or even a pulled muscle, that will completly heal in a day or two with the right care, then the marcher cn still march. But if it's a fracture, that's too serious of an injury, my opinion, and it should of been taken care of properly when it first happened.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I didnt want to read 9 pages. So here goes.

Most common injuries: Pulling muscles in the groin, hamstring, or anywhere on the legs really. For guys and gals who march for 3 or more years, knee problems tend to pop up, but usually not a huge problem with a good brace and some Advil.

I've never been really horribly injured, but thats because I took time off when I needed to to prevent it. If you know your body, and listen to it, USUALLY you will be fine. BUT #### happens, as we all know.

Also, shin splints are a #####, especially after 3 consecutive weeks of them. Thank god for free days!

I find that a members health is the most important part of each and every day. If a person becomes injured or seriously ill, then you can't use them! So why push them to injury and sickness because they HAD to be there for those couple hours of rehearsal? I don't understand it, and never will.

I choked on a post show french fry.

Don't worry, I fully recovered....

I choked on a post show french fry.

Don't worry, I fully recovered....

Pizza rolls always burned my tongue. I never wanted to wait for them to cool to eat them. :tongue:

I broke my the top knuckle in my pinky on my right hand about 3-4 days before March camp in 2007. Went through the whole camp with my pinky and ring finger taped together. Not too bad since I played trumpet. Never did get it fixed. Still broken to this day...

I wish that was the case....my maternal grandfather had all of his hair when he died at 93....my brothers and I? Not so much (thanks for the genes, Dad!)

That would still make sense because your mother is equally likely to become a carrier thanks to her mother. The x-linked gene in question could only be passed to you from your mother, though there are other causes of baldness out there so it's no way 100% accurate.

That would still make sense because your mother is equally likely to become a carrier thanks to her mother. The x-linked gene in question could only be passed to you from your mother, though there are other causes of baldness out there so it's no way 100% accurate.

Shhhh....work with me here... :thumbs-up:

Shhhh....work with me here... :thumbs-up:

Science works with nobody! Especially gravity... and now I cleverly segue back on topic!

When I marched my pit section leader had the case with our mixing board etc. inside it fall on her foot and subsequently had this golfball size swell sticking out. A trip to the hospital later and she was back but on crutches. Luckily the days of mallet players having to switch keyboards in the middle of shows are almost gone and she played xylo so she didn't have to move much so I don't think she missed any shows.

I remember our instructor being mad because it had been an often ignored rule that we had to wear shoes when loading/unloading the truck. There was also the time when we had to empty our mallet bags of the crap we kept in there all summer after an empty box of nerds fell out on the field in Allentown but that's a story for another time...

We had a tuba player whose arm broke while he was opening a water jug. Seriously.