DCI Article addressing sound issues

Corps Scoring (music writing; not points)  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that corps rethinking their musical scoring will create better acoustic sound in LOS?

• Yes
    • No

the problem is adjusting for this inside venue means all but 3 venues this year wont sound as good.

because only 3 are inside..and for OC corps, 1 venue unless lucky enough to perform in Atlanta or SA

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure where this got off track with pages about electronics. But, yes work needs to be done, regardless of the venue, to improve the balance, etc. of the electronics. But this is not the biggest part of the issue here.

The issue is that the DRUMS AND HORNS will need to be arranged differently or, let's be frank here, "stupided down" for LOS. You'll hear a lot less intricate articulations in the hornlines since "lots of notes" will get jumbled/muffled in the dome and lose points because it "sounds" like the hornline is not together. Drumlines will get smaller or play softer to limit the reverb. etc. etc. etc.

Even if we could revert to the days of 100% accoustic sounds, the music will have to be too negatively affected if it has to be written to sound good in LOS!!!

Ding ding ding!!! They are not suggesting that corps change their approach on a show to show basis, they are suggesting (and this is what SCV did in 2009) that corps design their shows with more exposed parts, less rimshots, less "lots of notes".

And to answer the OPs question, Yes, I do think changing scoring will make acoustics better, but no, I do not think it is the right option.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky

Look having DCI in a domed stadium, is nothing new. Montreal was domed and had a helluva an echo. The thing is if DCI can do something they should however, corps should also learn to deal. I am not saying write the whole season for one set of acoustical settings, but certainly adjust towards the end for the final outcome. I mean isn't part of the drum corps experience learning to cope with adverse conditions wind, rain, bad fields, mile high press boxes, overwhelming heat and humidity, and even stadiums with #### poor acoustics?

i dunno about you , but learned how to sleep on buses and gym floors, take showers so cold it would give you an ice cream headache, and survive off iced tea as a food group...if you can do that adjusting your accoustics for a new stadium should be gravy

Look having DCI in a domed stadium, is nothing new. Montreal was domed and had a helluva an echo. The thing is if DCI can do something they should however, corps should also learn to deal. I am not saying write the whole season for one set of acoustical settings, but certainly adjust towards the end for the final outcome. I mean isn't part of the drum corps experience learning to cope with adverse conditions wind, rain, bad fields, mile high press boxes, overwhelming heat and humidity, and even stadiums with #### poor acoustics?

i dunno about you , but learned how to sleep on buses and gym floors, take showers so cold it would give you an ice cream headache, and survive off iced tea as a food group...if you can do that adjusting your accoustics for a new stadium should be gravy

Montreal was NOT domed in 81 and 82, the roof didnt go on til later...87 i believe, then they found it couldnt retract, and ripped it back out later

Montreal was NOT domed in 81 and 82, the roof didnt go on til later...87 i believe, then they found it couldnt retract, and ripped it back out later

Ummm I beg to differ I remember a roof... I think they were not able to Retract the roof as originally designed until 1988

Ummm I beg to differ I remember a roof... I think they were not able to Retract the roof as originally designed until 1988

it was not a full dome until later in the decade.

The issue is that the DRUMS AND HORNS will need to be arranged differently or, let's be frank here, "stupided down" for LOS. You'll hear a lot less intricate articulations in the hornlines since "lots of notes" will get jumbled/muffled in the dome and lose points because it "sounds" like the hornline is not together. Drumlines will get smaller or play softer to limit the reverb. etc. etc. etc.

Even if we could revert to the days of 100% accoustic sounds, the music will have to be too negatively affected if it has to be written to sound good in LOS!!!

Wow, thanks for clarifying that one for me. I always suspected that "lots of notes" and loud playing were valued more than just superior musicality.

Jeez....wasn't sure which thread about LOS to post on.

So DCI has this "contract" with LOS for finals to be there for the next decade. What would happen if DCI just decided they weren't happy with the venue and left? Lawsuit?

"When life give you lemons, say eff the lemons and bail"