Why Academy, Colts, etc can't win next year

:grouphug: EXACTLY the point. Its too bad that DCI has become this way with a few elites and a few upper echelon and a bunch of 13ths on down. Lack of available corps to join has made this the case. Top talent chasing rings and then the rest fighting for position.

um...DCI has been this way since...well 1972. The only reason names changed is because of many corps going under.

sure in the 70s and 80's DCI had some one hit wonders in the standings. But for 30 years now, it's pretty much been many of the same names, and it goes in spurts as to who wins when.

:grouphug: EXACTLY the point. Its too bad that DCI has become this way with a few elites and a few upper echelon and a bunch of 13ths on down. Lack of available corps to join has made this the case. Top talent chasing rings and then the rest fighting for position.

The first sentence is fine, and opinion. The second, while also opinion, is complete BS in most cases....

Yes, and lets not forget that the Toronto Blue Jays DID finish ahead of the Yankees before too ( last time... 1993 )

I find it instructive that out of the 7 Corps that were in " The Combine " that together started DCI back over 35 years ago..... more than half of those 7 Corps are still in existence today, and finishing in the TOP 12 almost every year.. While out of the over 300 Corps not allowed to vote on DCI policy in the 1st year, less than 5 % of those 300 Corps are even still in competition today, and none of them are in the Top 20 today. Some things DO change in DCI. And some things in DCI rarely, if ever change.

Edited by BRASSO

Drum corps is an actitivity where there are only a handful of corps that will ever be scored high. I like the idea of the street clothes show to see what would really go down since only BD, Cadets, Crown, SCV, Cavs, and maybe MAYBE Phantom or Coats ever get up there to have a chance at it. If the top 6 from last year are horrible next year and the Mandarins rock the house, the top 6 would still be scored better. Judging is based almost all on the corps and who they are, BD finishing outside of top 3 in the next 10 years, yea whatever. It's the freakin Blue Devils, judges would be lynched for not having them in top 3 every year.

It's odd how the drum corps breaks down. Next year it will the 2 west coast and 2 east coast corps going for the win cuz of their name. BD, SCV and Cadets, Crown. If that's not your top 4 next year...I would be surprised

um...DCI has been this way since...well 1972. The only reason names changed is because of many corps going under.

sure in the 70s and 80's DCI had some one hit wonders in the standings. But for 30 years now, it's pretty much been many of the same names, and it goes in spurts as to who wins when.

and speaking of " 30 years ago ",.... in 1979, 6 of the 12 Corps that finished in the TOP 12 at Finals, also finished in the Top 12, 30 years later.... in 2009.

Blue Devils : New York Yankees

Colts : Toronto Blue Jays

' Nuff said ?

Hey......not that I'm bias or anything, but since I'm from Toronto......... I seem to remember driving downtown screaming out of the window of my car at the top of my lungs for a certain Toronto team that won the World Series......um..... twice I think.

Perhaps a different comparison.

Since this is a silly thread I thought I would add my two cents anyways.

I'm wondering how many people posting have actually been inside the machines that make up the top 5. Just a thought, but I think there is a difference.

Just don't talk about the Leafs :grouphug:

Edited by jmackay

There are several corps that have systems in place both organization wise and instruction wise that they will never fall very far in only one year. Those are the type corps that have a "bad year" and finish still in the top 5. Now IF one of those corps had back to back "off seasons" you might see a more precipitous drop over the course of a couple of years.

Stability of their organization and their staff keeps them at the forefront of the activity. In my opinion, we are watching Crown develop that kind of organization and I think you will see them taking their place among "the elite" because of it in the next decade.

Any Corps that hopes for longevity, really,... REALLY... should pull out all stops to have just one year... one year... that they win it all.

Here's a stat for those that like stats:

A) in DCI, out of the 8 Corps that have won at least one Title, 7 of the 8 are still competing.

B) In DCA, out of the 9 Corps that have won a title since DCA's inception in 1965, 8 out of the 9 are still in competition.

Edited by BRASSO

The first sentence is fine, and opinion. The second, while also opinion, is complete BS in most cases....

Which part is bs? The ring chasers? The few elites? Tell me there aren't a few elites. Like has been pointed out before 50% of the top 12 from 30 years ago is still top 12. You only stay there if you draw talent in all aspects. Cadets, BD, Crown, Cavies, SCV, Phantom, Bluecoats= Elite. Boston, Glassmen never compete with those first 6-7. So is elite wrong? How does elite stay elite? Ring chasers that leave lower placing corps for that "glory". So is ring chasers wrong? How do lower placing corps stay lower placing? Ring chasers leaving ......... :grouphug:

Which part is bs? The ring chasers? The few elites? Tell me there aren't a few elites. Like has been pointed out before 50% of the top 12 from 30 years ago is still top 12. You only stay there if you draw talent in all aspects. Cadets, BD, Crown, Cavies, SCV, Phantom, Bluecoats= Elite. Boston, Glassmen never compete with those first 6-7. So is elite wrong? How does elite stay elite? Ring chasers that leave lower placing corps for that "glory". So is ring chasers wrong? How do lower placing corps stay lower placing? Ring chasers leaving ......... :grouphug:

It really is not fair to the accomplishments of Blue Devils, Cavs, Cadets to put Crown and Bluecoats in their mix.

If Crown or Bluecoats win just one Title, perhaps one could put them in the mix with Blue Devils, Cavs, Cadets. But really, a Corps has to win at least ONE title to realistically be put in the same mix of these 3 elite Corps that have won many multiple titles... and over a course of decades to boot. These 3 Corps alone make up 80% of all the DCI Titles won since DCI's inception over 35 years ago. Crown is not yet in this mix. Neither are the Bluecoats, as fine as these Corps are of late.

Edited by BRASSO

Blue Devils : New York Yankees

Colts : Toronto Blue Jays

' Nuff said ?

But Toronto has won the World Series...