Why Academy, Colts, etc can't win next year

No one on your list has "survived" longer or through more trials and tribulations than Blue Stars have, so I guess they're in the elite list by that logic.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN to that brother............as a '74 alum I know the pain.......

Who knew how cutthroat DCI could be? A handful of corps systematically manipulating the vote to destroy so many noble corps. Who was the brains behind this nefarious conspiracy given that it started way before Hopkins? Was it Warren? Moxley? Royer? Bonfiglio? This is like Saddam Hussein purging potential dissenters and rivals from the Iraqi government when he came to power. I had no idea.

HH

You have history. Obviously. That is one heck of a perspective you have. I knew all those guys (Don still lives) sorta' and you have some truth there. Sad as it may seem.

Could it be Don P? The originator? How is that MLB expands and DCI contracts? $$ might figure but it's more than that. Power. I always forget about power. Being a person that does NOT want to tell others what to do, it escapes me sometimes.

But if you look at it, it seems like the dragon eating it's tail.......

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

Who knew how cutthroat DCI could be? A handful of corps systematically manipulating the vote to destroy so many noble corps. Who was the brains behind this nefarious conspiracy given that it started way before Hopkins? Was it Warren? Moxley? Royer? Bonfiglio? This is like Saddam Hussein purging potential dissenters and rivals from the Iraqi government when he came to power. I had no idea.

HH

No,... there was no " conspiracy " at work at all.... just " self interest " more than anything else..... and a need to get more of the gate receipts ( ie money ), and standardize the judging sheets. The Combine was not out to destroy the other Corps either. They frankly never even considered them one way or the other. It wasn't on their radar screen..

And " no"...." The Combine" ( the term THEY used themselves ) did not have Corps Directors whose actions were akin to" Saddam Hussein purging dissenters and rivals from the Iraqi government ". And of course noone on this thread has stated that devilish designs to destroy all the other corps was the motivation behind The Combine Directors who formed DCI either.

Edited by BRASSO

Why couldn't a 8-14 place corps win it all...?

You can go on all you want about slotting, seeding, judging, whatever. But the reality of the situation is that the concentration of ability and experience in the upper tier corps is too strong for a 8-14th place corps to blow past them all and skyrocket into 1st place. Someone (more likely several, at least) would figure out a way to take them out on Saturday night. The romantic notion of a Cinderella DCI champion is unlikely ever to be realized.

Peace - holiday regards to all,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

You can go on all you want about slotting, seeding, judging, whatever. But the reality of the situation is that the concentration of ability and experience in the upper tier corps is too strong for a 8-14th place corps to blow past them all and skyrocket into 1st place. Someone (more likely several, at least) would figure out a way to take them out on Saturday night. The romantic notion of a Cinderella DCI champion is unlikely ever to be realized.

Peace - holiday regards to all,

Fred O.

But it would be so cool. So, I'll hold out hope that I'll get to see this happen within my lifetime, but if I don't at least I'll watch some great drum corps while I wait.

Why all these comparisons to sports? Especially professional sports? Drum Corps and team sports are quite different.

A baseball team is playing only one other team at the time. Drum corps compete against each other in groups.

It isn't the same game over and over like a show.

Sports stars get drafted or change teams based on getting paid insane amounts of money, not the other way around. Even in college, there is a lot of money going around.

Top talent in players is spread around. It isn't concentrated in a few areas.

The similarity I see to sports is that there are a few key teams which do well consistently. Alabama, Florida, and USC do well in football a big percentage of the time. NC, Duke, and Kentucky do well in basketball a big percentage of the time. They have good coaching, a lot of money, and attract top talent. Just like BD, Cadets, and Cavs.

...The similarity I see to sports is that there are a few key teams which do well consistently. Alabama, Florida, and USC do well in football a big percentage of the time. NC, Duke, and Kentucky do well in basketball a big percentage of the time. They have good coaching, a lot of money, and attract top talent. Just like BD, Cadets, and Cavs.

Agreed. I would add the sports with the most in common with drum corps are the judged sports such as figure skating, diving and gymnastics. And guess what? The few elite skaters, divers and gymnasts win all the time.

HH

But it would be so cool. So, I'll hold out hope that I'll get to see this happen within my lifetime, but if I don't at least I'll watch some great drum corps while I wait.

I think the best we can realistically hope for is a new name on the trophy. Here's the first-time honor roll (as if we all didn't know them), each and every one a fantastic, exciting performance, and a DCI landmark event: Kingsmen '72 (hey, someone had to be first, and weren't they something of a dark horse, iIrc?), SCV '73, Scouts '75, Blue Devils '76, Cadets '83, Star '91, Cavaliers '92, Phantom '95 (peace to all you anti-tie purists; become a judge, and make sure no one ever gets the same score :thumbdown:).

Who will be next: Crown? BAC? Name your fave - and good luck to all!

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5