Why Academy, Colts, etc can't win next year

you also have people loyal to certain staff members. If their staff goes elsewhere and they love that staff, they'll follow. it happens in DCI and DCA, I know, I've been on both sides of that issue.

but they didn't leave for a ring. They left because they love that staff.

Which has happened pretty much forever. When Garfield fired drum instructor George Tuthill after the 71 season, much of the drumline left and a bunch moved to the Cabs where he was also teaching, as one example. I did that, but I went back to Garfield..but played baritone, not tri-toms as I had done in 71...after all..

...why would I want to play in a drumline taught by someone other than George.....Fred Sanford! :tongue:

There's surprisingly little parity in the activity if you look at its history. Don't know how we can fix that (obviously you can't have "playoffs" in drum corps :tongue: ) but like you said we know way too early in the season who's going to be vying for the title... and most of the time we're right.

It was refreshing to see a Corps win the Finals in '08 that did not win Quarters or Semi's. It gives all other Corps more genuine hope at Championships now. For way too long, it became almost a fait d' accompli that whoever wins Semi's is at least assured a piece of the Title at Finals no matter what happened performance wise on Finals Night. I was glad to see that upset take place in '08.

Edited by BRASSO

What I feel is the biggest single factor is money. And the single thing that money brings to a corps is superior staff, including both design and technical staff. If you don't have the staff who can design/tweak a winning show and teach/clean the execution, you ain't going to move up. And the first thing you need to attract and retain a staff of that level is money.

a piece of crap with whipped cream on top is not going to taste like a piece of chocolate cake with whipped cream on top... if you dont have the talent coming into a corps, u cant just hire the greatest staff and expect things to change... if they are getting paid the highest of any staff in DCI and the corps members want decide their work ethic is going to be mediocre, the staff can only do so much.

the biggest thing money would become involved in is hiring a design team who understands what the judges want/look and how to translate it so it appeals to both audience and judges (it also helps when you dont need a brass arranger because your composer has never been to a drum corps rehearsal or show and only nows how to write for synthesizer midi files.. still bitter from 08 and sad the corps doesnt listen to its, now getting out before it gets any worse, corps members)

Edited by wcutuba

OK, this part makes sense, and well put...

a piece of crap with whipped cream on top is not going to taste like a piece of chocolate cake with whipped cream on top... if you dont have the talent coming into a corps, u cant just hire the greatest staff and expect things to change... if they are getting paid the highest of any staff in DCI and the corps members want decide their work ethic is going to be mediocre, the staff can only do so much.

...but I'm a little lost here.

the biggest thing money would become involved in is hiring a design team who understands what the judges want/look and how to translate it so it appeals to both audience and judges (it also helps when you dont need a brass arranger because your composer has never been to a drum corps rehearsal or show and only nows how to write for synthesizer midi files.. still bitter from 08 and sad the corps doesnt listen to its, now getting out before it gets any worse, corps members)

Some hidden, or personal, agenda/editorial pov mixed in there, I suppose? Plus, wen u combine it w/txtmsg spelling grammar and punctu8tion (or lack thereof), it's a little hard to follow :tongue:.

Holiday regards - no personal disrespect intended,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

Yes, the marching members do ultimately decide whether or not to work hard enough to be successful. However, the corps with more money do tend to hire the more sought-after (by both the corps and its members) instructors who often make higher salaries because they are able to inspire the members of the corps to work hard. In addition, these instructors are better able to bring the best out in the talent they have. And that money does bring in the better designers. So you typically don’t end up with a piece of crap design and you typically don’t end up with an “underperforming” corps if you have the bucks to bring in the better instructors and designers – the kids do follow.

Of course, your first move with that money needs to be hiring the “vision” person who makes smart decisions in hiring the rest of the staff and then does a good job at getting the staff to work together.

Yes, the marching members do ultimately decide whether or not to work hard enough to be successful. However, the corps with more money do tend to hire the more sought-after (by both the corps and its members) instructors who often make higher salaries because they are able to inspire the members of the corps to work hard. In addition, these instructors are better able to bring the best out in the talent they have. And that money does bring in the better designers. So you typically don’t end up with a piece of crap design and you typically don’t end up with an “underperforming” corps if you have the bucks to bring in the better instructors and designers – the kids do follow.

Of course, your first move with that money needs to be hiring the “vision” person who makes smart decisions in hiring the rest of the staff and then does a good job at getting the staff to work together.

re... Money and Resources :

BD, Cadets, Cavs : NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox.

Academy, Colts : Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres

' Nuff said ?

Edited by BRASSO