Ban synths or bail on Lucas

Synths or Lucas - which goes?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Would DCI make more of it's current fans happier by repealing the rules allowing the use of synthesizers or by moving the world championships out of Lucas Oil Stadium?

• Ban synths
    • Bail on Lucas Oil Stadium

Why is it a lame poll? We had several examples of horrific synth use last year, and the accoustics at Lucas Oil suck the holy bag of sheehat. Imagine as a current MM having to work all summer to perfect a show only to have your last and most important performances of the season in an echo box.

GREAT FREAKIN POLL!

Sure, but we also had some (admittedly, only a few) *phenomenal* uses of electronics as well, you just didn't see 'em in the Top 12. Additionally, LOS provides some pretty cool acoustic opportunities once the corps take advantage of them. To throw out one example, you could do some pretty wild things with releases.

I will say this...I really believe that a lot of the most vehement complainers probably weren't even there in August. I watched several performances in LOS, including Open Semis, Open Finals, and World Finals from different vantage points, and it's not nearly as bad as some folks claim. It's unfortunate that no one considers that LOS is without question the nicest, most comfortable facility DCI has ever been in, with very reasonable prices (especially considering it's an NFL facility). Yes, there are acoustic challenges, but that is exactly what they are...challenges. We're going to see who rises to the occasion in 2010.

So no, it's not a good poll. It's trolling.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you would have had a "ban the use of speakers", I would have been all over that choice...

Ditch the Oil Can for reasons other than the acoustics. I think it is ######## to have finals in the same lame ### town (Indy) for 10 years.

Both. But moving out of LOS is more important to me. I for one won't be back at finals until that happens. Not out of spite but I just didn't enjoy the experience in Indianapolis. I prefer the rotating venue format, even though I understand the logistical difficulties for the organizations. I'd rather pay more to see it go back to this format.

I think there will be a significant difference in the ## of long-time (i.e. not parents of CMM or local band students) attendees this year vs. last year based on the acoustics at LOS. Hate it for DCI, but the decision of Indy for a long-term contract was not the best IMO-

It looks like Mr. Dorritie’s article is doing a good job at confusing the LOS sound issue. Gee, is this what DCI was hoping it would do? I can just hear them around the table at the last DCI meeting on the subject:

Person #1 – What can we do to distract fans from the real problems at LOS?

Person #2 – I know, let’s trick longtime fans into connecting fond memories of places like Franklin Field to the echo effect in LOS.

Person #3 – We could also use the anger some fans still feel about amplification and electronics by blaming a lot of the LOS sound issues on synths and the like.

Person #1 – I like both ideas. We can use them to distract the fans and divide them over how bad LOS is and what can be done to fix it.

Person #2 – Let’s have someone write an article on DCP – those DCP’ers will certainly take the bait and assist us in diffusing the issue.

It looks like Mr. Dorritie’s article is doing a good job at confusing the LOS sound issue. Gee, is this what DCI was hoping it would do? I can just hear them around the table at the last DCI meeting on the subject:

Person #1 – What can we do to distract fans from the real problems at LOS?

Person #2 – I know, let’s trick longtime fans into connecting fond memories of places like Franklin Field to the echo effect in LOS.

Person #3 – We could also use the anger some fans still feel about amplification and electronics by blaming a lot of the LOS sound issues on synths and the like.

Person #1 – I like both ideas. We can use them to distract the fans and divide them over how bad LOS is and what can be done to fix it.

Person #2 – Let’s have someone write an article on DCP – those DCP’ers will certainly take the bait and assist us in diffusing the issue.

I like that DCI is playing nice and giving DCP a nice little article to make it feel really involved. DCP = srs bsns?

Edited by DrillmanSop06

One of those issues negatively affects one performance venue. The other ruins all of the rest.

well both would be preferable, but neither realistic. we can just hope the corps finally master amplification balance. i mean it's only been since 2004 and we still see issues and hear excuses.

and they won't bail on LOS. No matter how much people complain, unless ticket sales fall to under 10K, which is possible.

My tastes run to percussion, brass and color guard.

There's nothing cooler than the sound of pure brass.

I don't want to go see/hear synths or electric guitars or woodwinds mixed in some hybrid form.

I'm not interested in experimentation: I like the sound of a drum corps, not marching bands (who I equate with using every gadget under the sun).

I'm not interested in the sounds synths can make on a football field.

I don't hate synths-I have about five of them that I enjoy playing with and like future pop, ebm and other types of electronic.

I'm just not interested in seeing and hearing my brass diluted with synths (or guitars)

Therefore I only spend money on DCA shows these days. I go to every DCA show I can possibly attend, and I did go to DCA championships.

In it's current synth-toting, electric guitar wielding format, I wouldn't go to see a DCI show if it was free and in my backyard. So I guess DCI and the stadium issue is moot for me. The hybrid form of music that DCI produces just doesn't interest me.

On the other hand, I'll put in the miles and dollars to see DCA or an alumni corps.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77