Ban synths or bail on Lucas

Synths or Lucas - which goes?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Would DCI make more of it's current fans happier by repealing the rules allowing the use of synthesizers or by moving the world championships out of Lucas Oil Stadium?

• Ban synths
    • Bail on Lucas Oil Stadium

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . .fat chance of that happening, either. Synths will be to 11 next year; no one got slapped down for it in 2009.

Thats pretty cool....you must have gotten to hear all the corps judges tapes.....i mean, how else would your comment have any validity.

I voted to ditch the synths. Granted LOS is no bowl of blueberries either, but given the option I would rather hear echos than some electronic geek talking over the brass line.

Ya, because so many corps used narration in LOS :thumbdown: ......lets not confuse the trendy Cadets narration complaints with the 2009 in LOS issues some may have had

Thats pretty cool....you must have gotten to hear all the corps judges tapes.....i mean, how else would your comment have any validity.

well..by logical progression, you could see which ones were still way too loud at finals, and theorize that they hadn't been judged down yet...

and the ones that were way too loud were...well....a lot of them.

If DCI can fix Lucas Oil and make the acoustics a lot better, I'm all for lucas oil. I also like how some of the corps used electronics, like Boston for example. It does kinda suck that it's in the SAME spot for so long, because it'd be cool to have completely different tours every year. But I'm not gonna whine that much.

2013 is the one year that it won't be at lucas oil, right?

It looks like Mr. Dorritie’s article is doing a good job at confusing the LOS sound issue. Gee, is this what DCI was hoping it would do? I can just hear them around the table at the last DCI meeting on the subject:

Person #1 – What can we do to distract fans from the real problems at LOS?

Person #2 – I know, let’s trick longtime fans into connecting fond memories of places like Franklin Field to the echo effect in LOS.

Person #3 – We could also use the anger some fans still feel about amplification and electronics by blaming a lot of the LOS sound issues on synths and the like.

Person #1 – I like both ideas. We can use them to distract the fans and divide them over how bad LOS is and what can be done to fix it.

Person #2 – Let’s have someone write an article on DCP – those DCP’ers will certainly take the bait and assist us in diffusing the issue.

Yes, exactly......because the DCI board doesn't have anything more important to discuss than people who complain on DCP and other forums.

well..by logical progression, you could see which ones were still way too loud at finals, and theorize that they hadn't been judged down yet...

and the ones that were way too loud were...well....a lot of them.

But synths can be used as a supportive role and there are other times when the corps might want it to be more prominant......it is all based on the design choice. I have been working with electronics in indoor drumline and marching band.....my groups have been judged by some of the same people that judge DCI....and I can tell you first hand....i know from actually judges tapes of my groups that we have been nailed for electronics being to loud.......Frank Dorritie being one of those judges who didn't like our use of if........and just as if we had a battery that was to loud, we had to make an adjustment and balance.

If DCI can fix Lucas Oil and make the acoustics a lot better, I'm all for lucas oil. I also like how some of the corps used electronics, like Boston for example. It does kinda suck that it's in the SAME spot for so long, because it'd be cool to have completely different tours every year. But I'm not gonna whine that much.

2013 is the one year that it won't be at lucas oil, right?

For the next years, yes. I know there was one year that wasn't going to be at Lucas Oil, because there was already something planned for that time before DCI signed the contract, and I do think it's 2013. I'm pretty sure.

I just haven't heard of where it's going to be that year, though... :worthy:

Even though I liked the stadium itself, I wasn't a fan of the acoustics. I kinda hope that they do open the roof next year, just to see if it'll help. Although... when I went to World Class Prelims, and sitting at the top and hearing the echo from there, then being on the field performing in Open Class Semi-finals and Finals, the echo didn't bother me as much as I would have thought. And since I'm in the pit and have to listen back, listening to the corps (and the echo is a big deal.)

I say we (as DCP posters, DCI marchers, and anyone else who wants it change) fight the Board of Directors of DCI to somehow change the location of finals so it's better for everyone! Weather it's a new location, or the echo at Lucas Oil is better! And we fight to the death! :thumbdown:

Who's with me!!?

:worthy:

. . .you're right, I guess I need the green shirts to tell me my opinion on who has their synths too loud and who doesn't.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbdown: