Ban synths or bail on Lucas

Synths or Lucas - which goes?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Would DCI make more of it's current fans happier by repealing the rules allowing the use of synthesizers or by moving the world championships out of Lucas Oil Stadium?

• Ban synths
    • Bail on Lucas Oil Stadium

Thats pretty cool....you must have gotten to hear all the corps judges tapes.....i mean, how else would your comment have any validity.

well I was at Allentown. Please explain to me Crowns 19.2 in Ensemble Music when three blocks away couldn't hear the corps over the electronics

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this...I really believe that a lot of the most vehement complainers probably weren't even there in August. I watched several performances in LOS, including Open Semis, Open Finals, and World Finals from different vantage points, and it's not nearly as bad as some folks claim. It's unfortunate that no one considers that LOS is without question the nicest, most comfortable facility DCI has ever been in, with very reasonable prices (especially considering it's an NFL facility).

I disagree completely with this. It really is as bad as some folks claim. I can appreciate your wanting to live on the positive side of life, but IMO you go too far.

All of which you speak (nicest, most comfortable facility, ... reasonable prices) is, of course, your subjective view and opinion, which you are certainly entitled to. However, I don't recall even remotely as much overwhelming criticism for any previous World Championships facility such as LOS has received. Nor has DCI ever made such a concerted effort to respond to fan criticism as they are in this case. They know something is really rubbing fans the wrong way, causing many people to seriously consider skipping Indy and going to the theater, a regional, or the Fan Network.

I can appreciate your looking on the bright side, but there's a real outcry going on here, particularly considering how we’re talking about a truly "state of the art," almost brand new venue that we had to wait in anticipation for for two years to finally be able to “enjoy.” The exact opposite of what was hoped for has occurred, and unlike other venues in the past, we're stuck with this one for years to come.

I think it all depends on what one is inside LOS to observe and enjoy. I can imagine that your description would be accurate for enjoying a football game, which is what it was clearly designed to enhance the experience of (unless you're a Packers Fan and know what a real NFL stadium should be like). However, when it comes to meeting the unique challenges presented for viewing and listening to live drum corps, LOS falls far short of ideal, or perhaps even being adequate... IMO.

I vote to bail on the facility, though it's clear that that won't/can’t happen.

Edited by nemesiscorps

well I was at Allentown. Please explain to me Crowns 19.2 in Ensemble Music when three blocks away couldn't hear the corps over the electronics

I won't speak for that specific situation.....but i would be willing to bet that Crown balances out their sound from the top of a stadium not three blocks away, different sound frequencies travel differently.

If a battery is warming up in the lot, in most cases the bass drums are heard from a further distance, then, as you get closer you begin to hear the tenors and snares more clearly

there have been some shows where a snare drummer has had an individual solo on the field.......im willing to bet that you wouldn't hear that from 3 blocks away, but that doesn't mean it was heard and effective inside the stadium from where it was designed to be heard

even if some one is standing in the endzone you won't get the correct sound of how the balance is intended

. . .you're right, I guess I need the green shirts to tell me my opinion on who has their synths too loud and who doesn't.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbdown:

Your opinion is totally valid, so nobody got slapped down then from your opinion.......some may have been slapped by the judges also....but unless any of us have heard the judges comments we wouldn't know whether they did or not. it is all assumption at this point

I won't speak for that specific situation.....but i would be willing to bet that Crown balances out their sound from the top of a stadium not three blocks away, different sound frequencies travel differently.

If a battery is warming up in the lot, in most cases the bass drums are heard from a further distance, then, as you get closer you begin to hear the tenors and snares more clearly

there have been some shows where a snare drummer has had an individual solo on the field.......im willing to bet that you wouldn't hear that from 3 blocks away, but that doesn't mean it was heard and effective inside the stadium from where it was designed to be heard

even if some one is standing in the endzone you won't get the correct sound of how the balance is intended

well sitting towards the top, the pit was louder than the hornline.

by a lot.

Sure, but we also had some (admittedly, only a few) *phenomenal* uses of electronics as well, you just didn't see 'em in the Top 12. Additionally, LOS provides some pretty cool acoustic opportunities once the corps take advantage of them. To throw out one example, you could do some pretty wild things with releases.

I will say this...I really believe that a lot of the most vehement complainers probably weren't even there in August. I watched several performances in LOS, including Open Semis, Open Finals, and World Finals from different vantage points, and it's not nearly as bad as some folks claim. It's unfortunate that no one considers that LOS is without question the nicest, most comfortable facility DCI has ever been in, with very reasonable prices (especially considering it's an NFL facility). Yes, there are acoustic challenges, but that is exactly what they are...challenges. We're going to see who rises to the occasion in 2010.

So no, it's not a good poll. It's trolling.

I have my doubts that you were really there

I have my doubts that you were really there

he was. he works with an OC corps

Ok, so my thoughts on the synths is its the same thing as using vocals. You either over use it and annoy the audience with it (Blue Devils 05, Cadets 07-08) or it's very fitting for the show and doesn't over balance the theme (Pacific Crest, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown 07. Cadets 05. Blue Devils 06).

I also think the synths will help corps out financially and here's why. In 2008, Cavaliers had a sitar or goujang in the pit (the string instrument). How much did it cost to buy it? And how much did they get back after selling it? Now this season Boston used their synth to create a similar sound this past season. Sure it sounded a little electronic but it helped the show theme and they can keep the synth. Here's another. The bluecoats used their synth as a harp in their preshow and an accordion in hunting wabbits. And they have a xylosynth that made different mallet instrument sounds with out having to purchase the extra equipent.

But I think that they should only be used if really needed to make sounds along those lines and not techno music noises (Glassmen, Spirit, Cascades early season). That's just annoying for drum corps. If i'm in a club however, I dont mind those sounds at all.

As for Lucas Oil Stadium, it's both good and bad. Good cuzz it'll save DCI the hassle of trying to find next years finals site and i&e site. And the dome gives everyone an equal opportunity to have their best performance in air conditioning and not be at a crutch to the elements. ex:sun in the eyes, wind for the guard, rain (it did rain semifinals if i remember correctly), a football coach blowing an air horn, a plane/helecopter flying overhead. So it's not so bad if you think of it in that perspective. But acoustically it's not the greatest. But i never hear anyone complain about the Alamo or georgia dome.

Just my 2 cents

But i never hear anyone complain about the Alamo or georgia dome.

Whhaaaaaa????? :thumbdown:

I disagree completely with this. It really is as bad as some folks claim. I can appreciate your wanting to live on the positive side of life, but IMO you go too far.

All of which you speak (nicest, most comfortable facility, ... reasonable prices) is, of course, your subjective view and opinion, which you are certainly entitled to. However, I don't recall even remotely as much overwhelming criticism for any previous World Championships facility such as LOS has received. Nor has DCI ever made such a concerted effort to respond to fan criticism as they are in this case. They know something is really rubbing fans the wrong way, causing many people to seriously consider skipping Indy and going to the theater, a regional, or the Fan Network.

I can appreciate your looking on the bright side, but there's a real outcry going on here, particularly considering how we’re talking about a truly "state of the art," almost brand new venue that we had to wait in anticipation for for two years to finally be able to “enjoy.” The exact opposite of what was hoped for has occurred, and unlike other venues in the past, we're stuck with this one for years to come.

I think it all depends on what one is inside LOS to observe and enjoy. I can imagine that your description would be accurate for enjoying a football game, which is what it was clearly designed to enhance the expience of (unless you're a Packers Fan and know what a real NFL stadium should be like). However, when it comes to meeting the unique challenges presented for viewing and listening to live drum corps, LOS falls far short of ideal, or perhaps even being adequate... IMO.

I vote to bail on the facility, though it's clear that that won't/can’t happen.

WORD!