Ban synths or bail on Lucas

Synths or Lucas - which goes?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Would DCI make more of it's current fans happier by repealing the rules allowing the use of synthesizers or by moving the world championships out of Lucas Oil Stadium?

• Ban synths
    • Bail on Lucas Oil Stadium

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. synths can do a lot more than just spoken word. they'll be here for a while

While this is true, it's still my dream that a corps of championship potential will not use synths in the next couple of years and DARE the judging community to drop them for not playing that game.

While this is true, it's still my dream that a corps of championship potential will not use synths in the next couple of years and DARE the judging community to drop them for not playing that game.

I love synths. Just NOT in drum corps. Might as well add guitars and stuff--piccolos and oboes and kotos---will Buchla get into this? I hope not. (google it) I am with T Troop on this one.............dare to be better without!!

If DCI can fix Lucas Oil and make the acoustics a lot better, I'm all for lucas oil. I also like how some of the corps used electronics, like Boston for example. It does kinda suck that it's in the SAME spot for so long, because it'd be cool to have completely different tours every year. But I'm not gonna whine that much.

2013 is the one year that it won't be at lucas oil, right?

A little off topic for this thread but -

just because the tour ends in Indy does not mean that the tour will be the same every year.

oh i'm with you 100% on that dream.

But I'm also realistic

I think they should work with LOS to try to modify the acoustics. If LOS wants to be difficult, DCI has a whole list of other venues ready for the $ championships will bring their local economies.

As far as the synthesizers, what I heard coming from those speakers was not drum corps. I think the sounds the synthsizers were making was embarassing, and I hope that 2009 was an experimenting year that most corps have learned their lesson from.

If you notice when amplification was legalized, all the corps had some form of narration. Some corps made their whole shows just blabbering with pointless impacts. But, last year they all seemed to steer away from that, and I'd be willing to bet that before long, drum corps will start reverting back to what really works.

I love synths. Just NOT in drum corps. Might as well add guitars and stuff--piccolos and oboes and kotos---will Buchla get into this? I hope not. (google it) I am with T Troop on this one.............dare to be better without!!

The guitars are already here...see Spirit and Teal Sound.

have people asked the performers what they think of LOS, or is this all from the audience perspective?

Yup, I forgot.

I just don't get whats wrong with using synths, guitars, strings, woodwinds, etc.

Everywhere else in the MUSICAL WORLD they are acceptable, except for drum corps because the stingy old dinosaurs ##### and whine and moan all the time about them. Many old alumni even claim they will stop supporting DCI financially if these changes keep occurring. That is the most childish thing I've ever heard.