Ban synths or bail on Lucas

Synths or Lucas - which goes?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Would DCI make more of it's current fans happier by repealing the rules allowing the use of synthesizers or by moving the world championships out of Lucas Oil Stadium?

• Ban synths
    • Bail on Lucas Oil Stadium

Synths kinda take away from it being a drum and bugle corps. I like my music to be real.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Synths kinda take away from it being a drum and bugle corps. I like my music to be real.

I agree. I don't want to pay to see a marching band, synth, electric guitar and bass fusion experience. To me that is not drum corps-it's marching music, but not drum corps. I can see how some people may enjoy what DCI has to offer, but it's no longer my bag of tricks. After becoming disillusioned over several years I only saw one DCI corps last year at a DCA show and was underwhelmed by the synths and rock band accompanyment or was it the other way around?

Anyhow, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed every DCA/Alumni show I attended this past season, and plan to attend many more. I just love that pure brass sound!!!! Yeah, it may not all be in the key of G, but at least I know people are producing the music and not some circuits. If I want to hear guitar and brass then I'll go see Brian Setzer!

I agree. I don't want to pay to see a marching band, synth, electric guitar and bass fusion experience. To me that is not drum corps-it's marching music, but not drum corps. I can see how some people may enjoy what DCI has to offer, but it's no longer my bag of tricks. After becoming disillusioned over several years I only saw one DCI corps last year at a DCA show and was underwhelmed by the synths and rock band accompanyment or was it the other way around?

Anyhow, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed every DCA/Alumni show I attended this past season, and plan to attend many more. I just love that pure brass sound!!!! Yeah, it may not all be in the key of G, but at least I know people are producing the music and not some circuits. If I want to hear guitar and brass then I'll go see Brian Setzer!

:tongue:

I had to finally comment. Ban synthesizers. It is taking drum corps (farther) down a road I'd rather not follow. Finals will eventually be held outdoors again, even if it takes a few years. It will be even sooner if people stop showing up at Indy though. I hope that doesn't kill DCI though, I do enjoy the music.

I had to finally comment. Ban synthesizers. It is taking drum corps (farther) down a road I'd rather not follow. Finals will eventually be held outdoors again, even if it takes a few years. It will be even sooner if people stop showing up at Indy though. I hope that doesn't kill DCI though, I do enjoy the music.

If DCI dies or fades away like the VFW/AL may not be a bad thing. If there is a need, and demand, another group will carry it forward just like DCI did after the VFW years. Nature abhors a vacuum.

If DCI dies or fades away like the VFW/AL may not be a bad thing. If there is a need, and demand, another group will carry it forward just like DCI did after the VFW years. Nature abhors a vacuum.

A major difference was that it was the corps directors who formed DCI, not an outside organization like the VFW. If DCI dies it means that the junior corps themselves have died.

A major difference was that it was the corps directors who formed DCI, not an outside organization like the VFW. If DCI dies it means that the junior corps themselves have died.

Well, so many (HUNDREDS!!!) of corps have already died under DCI's oversight, I suspect that the last few remaining would either adjust to new circumstances or follow so may other great corps into oblivion. The marching major leagues concept is not working for junior corps and the new fusion of synths, electric guitars, basses, etc., is further alienating the core paying audience. IF DCI wants to make some positive moves to rebuild the junior activity, they could do the following:

1. Immediately get out of the current championships venue because it's divisive.

2. Eliminate the synths, guitars, etc because it's divisive-most pro-synth people will go if there are no synths, but many anti-synth people will not patronage DCI as long as this format continues.

3. Begin to deemphasize the national touring schedule (marching major leagues)and encourage more ties with local communities. This would both lower operating costs, make for more fiscally sound organizations, and perhaps draw more kids into the drum corps activity.

4.Promote the activity as a summer fun thing for kids looking for musical instruction and FUN! You don't have to be a 'major leagues member' to put on a fun and entertaining show. Also, start targeting recruiting people 15-18 again. Take a look at the folks in the historical pics thread: A lot of us were very young, but still got the job done!!!!

Barring this route, dci just needs to add the woodwinds, and come out of the closet as Summer Music Marching Semi-Pro Olympics or whatever.... Maybe they can specifically begin to target college band woodwinds or something... That seems the direction DCI is intent on taking, so let's just get it over with...

Well, so many (HUNDREDS!!!) of corps have already died under DCI's oversight, I suspect that the last few remaining would either adjust to new circumstances or follow so may other great corps into oblivion. The marching major leagues concept is not working for junior corps and the new fusion of synths, electric guitars, basses, etc., is further alienating the core paying audience. IF DCI wants to make some positive moves to rebuild the junior activity, they could do the following:

No, they did not die under DCI's "oversight". They died out because of many economic and social changes, but DCI was in no way responsible for the hundreds of little corps that could not survive.

That's like saying MLB is responsible if a town's Little League teams fail.

1. Immediately get out of the current championships venue because it's divisive.

How is it 'divisive'?

Is it perfect? No...but no venue is. Hopefully they will address some of the issues with sound as best they can.

One year is hardly enough time to pass judgement on the entire contract.

2. Eliminate the synths, guitars, etc because it's divisive-most pro-synth people will go if there are no synths, but many anti-synth people will not patronage DCI as long as this format continues.

As long as numbers remain strong enough to the management of DCI and show sponsors...that won't happen, thankfully.

3. Begin to deemphasize the national touring schedule (marching major leagues)and encourage more ties with local communities. This would both lower operating costs, make for more fiscally sound organizations, and perhaps draw more kids into the drum corps activity.

Drum corps participation in World class is a national activity. Kids don't come primarily from the local area of a corps. That model is long gone.

There are local Open corps that cannot survive and draw members, so such a radical change would just kill off the rest of the junior activity IMO.

4.Promote the activity as a summer fun thing for kids looking for musical instruction and FUN! You don't have to be a 'major leagues member' to put on a fun and entertaining show. Also, start targeting recruiting people 15-18 again. Take a look at the folks in the historical pics thread: A lot of us were very young, but still got the job done!!!!

Most of the national corps in my day were not made up of primarily kids of those ages. Some were younger than others, but most had average ages older than, say 16 1/2, the middle of your range.

Barring this route, dci just needs to add the woodwinds, and come out of the closet as Summer Music Marching Semi-Pro Olympics or whatever.... Maybe they can specifically begin to target college band woodwinds or something... That seems the direction DCI is intent on taking, so let's just get it over with...

No problem doing that to me. Good idea.

look, it's time to stop blaming DCI for the death of many corps. so many of those corps tried to be more than they could be, and killed themselves.

now, as time went on, sure some DCI decisions didnt help, but to lay it all at DCI's feet is wrong to do, and this from a guy who usually calls DCI out on everything