Everything but "some old drum corps photos"

I think I might have missed the DCI National when the Hawthorne Caballeros were one of the 48 entrants.

Could it be a typo? Maybe it should read Muchachos?

Garry in Vegas

1983 Open prelims

83-open-pre2-a.jpg

Wow. That's the first time in all my years on this forum to see my first corps in print. At 10:55am, the Buccaneers. We would have gone on after Florida Wave?! Yeeesh. We would've got creamed. All for naught, as our bus driver got arrested a few days prior to departure and we couldn't get a replacement so we never made the trip to finals. A bummer. I jumped ship from there and went to Alliance in '84 which didn't field a corps, and eventually to Garfield in '85. Seeing the name Buccaneers in this context is a blast from the past! Thanks.

Wow. That's the first time in all my years on this forum to see my first corps in print. At 10:55am, the Buccaneers. We would have gone on after Florida Wave?! Yeeesh. We would've got creamed. All for naught, as our bus driver got arrested a few days prior to departure and we couldn't get a replacement so we never made the trip to finals. A bummer. I jumped ship from there and went to Alliance in '84 which didn't field a corps, and eventually to Garfield in '85. Seeing the name Buccaneers in this context is a blast from the past! Thanks.

oh my, what a bummer! Honestly, I've been trying to piece together the jigsaw puzzle of my drum corps experiences. I have my little old 1974 week-at-a-glance, 2 photos and 2 tentative summer schedules of 74 and 75 and with the assistance of dcpers it's coming together...and then I get side tracked. I found this today http://www.emass.org/4.html

I remember seeing a thread from someone asking about Sir Thomas More Cadets, so I posted. Historical Junior Corps Discussions may have the only photo of a corps at a point in time. Thanks for reminding me it's about the memories :-) http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2645982

1983 Open prelims

83-open-pre2-a.jpg

To escape the Miami heat and daily afternoon thunderstorms, DCI held evening prelims.

Note Pio's stepoff time !!!

Of course you could give us the details or start a bus driver stories thread if one hasn't already been started. There's gotta be a hundred bus driver stories out there.

DrumCorpsDigest0013.jpg

I performed with the Chicago Royal-Airs at this performance. We have not to this day found anyone that has a recording of our performance there. If anyone does have or know where such a recording can be found and or be obtained please e-mail me at royalaircanada@hotmail.com thank you in advance.

"I think I might have missed the DCI National when the Hawthorne Caballeros were one of the 48 entrants.

Could it be a typo? Maybe it should read Muchachos?"

A typo, yes, but not a mistake in the corps name. The simple fact is we did have Slingerland TDR 100's and a full complement of Slingerland percussion equipment, hence our appearance in the Slingerland ad. But of course we should not have been list as 'DCI.' We were, in fact, the reigning undefeated DCA champs at the time of the ad's appearance.

And for the record, the Muchachos were using red Ludwig Vistalites at the time, not Slingerland TDR's.

By the way, the photo of the Cabs in the ad looks to be from 1973, my last year. It's a bit fuzzy when enlarged, but I believe I am the second snare from the right. (If it's a 1974 photo, it's not me!)