Everything but "some old drum corps photos"

The orange Vistalite snare on the bottom right looks familiar. I'm so glad we didn't have the stripes though. Were they lighter in weight, my shoulder didn't think so. Wish we had the harnesses they have now.

The orange Vistalite snare on the bottom right looks familiar. I'm so glad we didn't have the stripes though. Were they lighter in weight, my shoulder didn't think so. Wish we had the harnesses they have now.

Knowing we had a 2 ½ month tour of Europe ahead of us, we were hoping the word lite would help. I put together a few stats of our 1977 tour, 12 countries, 75 days, approx. 50 performances, travel by bus with the exception of 2 days by air and 4 days by ferry and yes, we were awesome!

9 of us went to DCI finals 2010. Brenda D (AAG Jr 72, AAG Sr 73-75 drumline) and I spent most of the day Friday watching drum corps warm up. She took a lot of photos and videos to show her school’s new drum line that had their first performance at the 2010 Grey Cup parade and yes, the new harnesses are awesome!

I attended the March 1971 colour guard and individuals contests in Ottawa (as below) sponsored by La Salle Cadets. We saw and heard a lot of awesome talented performers. The flyer is printed on newspaper in a newspaper format. Here’s the first half of the first page. I’ve been attending local winter guard contests over the past 3 years. As much as it was a privilege to be a DM for 7 years, guard is my happy place but please don't misinterpret me; I'm still a fan of drum corps!

71-01_zps803d585a.jpg

Knowing we had a 2 ½ month tour of Europe ahead of us, we were hoping the word lite would help. I put together a few stats of our 1977 tour, 12 countries, 75 days, approx. 50 performances, travel by bus with the exception of 2 days by air and 4 days by ferry and yes, we were awesome!

9 of us went to DCI finals 2010. Brenda D (AAG Jr 72, AAG Sr 73-75 drumline) and I spent most of the day Friday watching drum corps warm up. She took a lot of photos and videos to show her school's new drum line that had their first performance at the 2010 Grey Cup parade and yes, the new harnesses are awesome!

Those are some stats, Linda. The schedule of a rock group! cool.gif Do any of your stats indicate how many autographs we signed along the way?

That 24 hour ferry from England to Ireland (was it?) is still remembered by my stomach. Ugh.

Those are some stats, Linda. The schedule of a rock group! cool.gif Do any of your stats indicate how many autographs we signed along the way?

That 24 hour ferry from England to Ireland (was it?) is still remembered by my stomach. Ugh.

Pam, Pat and I (spokespeople) were on BBC radio at least twice and on Radio CFNS once. We left Le Havre on August 29 1977 and boarded St Patrick ferry for a 12 hour trip to Rosslare Harbour (according to my travel log). On September 2 1977 we boarded Innisfallen for a 10 hour ferry trip to England. 12 + 10 = 22 which is close to 24.

The ship’s crew said “The North Sea waves are unusually high for August”. Got tired of eating on the ferry and saying goodbye to lunch over the rails, fell asleep on my stomach on the deck, arms and legs stretched like a starfish and it worked! Go with the flow.

Good memories, good times, thanks DL : )

195058drumcorpscapital_zpsffe35eaa.jpg

Racine Journal Times, May 8, 1950

Just a note to remind people that Racine, WI was once the hotbed of drum corps.

Edited by alankarls

• 3 weeks later...

Before our 2006 reunion, the committee did a great job scanning photos on a CD. Our former directors took our audio and got a CD done by professionals. I have the only 1977 recordings of AAG that are on the CD. Bob came to my office before 2006 to pick up my cassette tape. Very cool!

Before our 2011 reunion, Brenda put together a wonderful DVD. She said it took a while to burn. I watched the DVD and used Snipping Tool to capture a moment in time; uploaded to photobucket today and tried to figure out where my capture went? Copy/paste the URL or IMG to show you an image of our DVD. Someday I’ll figure out how to put music to a slide show of personal photos and upload to youtube ; )

z-aag-dvd-4_zps21444373.png

Osage Precisionaires and Oswego Black Knights played Vistalites if my memory serves me correctly.