Everything but "some old drum corps photos"

ph34r.gif

WOW !!! Now THERE is a collectors item..If that's legit (do you actually HAVE this?)then I know folks who might make you an offer for that case..Looks like it's in really nice shape too! worthy.gif

That's better than most artifacts except if you had one of the old head dresses...as if.

Pat

In 1962, Hamms Indians came to Racine for a senior show. I lived in the neighborhood where all the corps practiced and the Hamms indians stayed. We hung out, watching the corps arrive and practice. When Hamms Indians arrived, the first thing that came was a Hamm's Beer truck. it parked outside the hall, and they set up a human chain passing in cases of beer. It went on for some time. Later, the corps arrived. I'll never forget that. They must have had over 50 cases of beer go into the hall.

2 pages from 1971 Drum Corps America magazine. I picked it up for this article. I enjoyed being a DM for 7 years and got to feel the music. My roots are color guard, spent 20 years spinning in the gym. This is the time of year when I miss the activity the most, the rehearsals.

1971-DCA-2-a.jpg

Wow. I forgot that article. Drum Corps America was published by Ed Porcaro in Racine for a year or so. Thanks for posting this.

This has pics, but it is a 1956 article that explains judging at the time. From the Racine Journal Times, June 10, 1956

I believe that this is the Madison Scouts, and either Evanston Lancers or Norwood. The article does not say.

56610picsdrumcorpsjudging_zpsc8833fed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

An advertisement with a member of Etobicoke Crusaders wearing a uniform from Chessman of St. Catharines.

IMG_0019-20_zpsf0038d52.jpg

150 or so record albums were in my garage for over 3 decades until last year, all are in pristine shape except Beatles Abbey Road : ( none are drum corps albums but many have music that drum corps played, from Elis Comin to Send in the Clowns. Drum corps gave me an appreciation of music and for that, Im grateful :music:/>

Edited by lindap

Since I have my photobucket password reset...

Time for the Capt'n (photo from DCW ca 1978)

Captainkangeroo-2.jpg

And the Schmidt Indians greeting the King and Queen (pre WWII IIRC).

16_098.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a question about Drum and Bugle Corps buttons:

Who was the First Drum and Bugle Corps to start selling buttons, and what year?

I do not know the answer. I just like learning about Drum and Bugle Corps History.

Thank You

Dean

Buttons, at least at east coast contests, were initially sold by the kind of concessionaires you see along parade sites selling balloons and plastic toys on sticks.

The first corps-generated button sold by an eastern drum corps, to the best of my knowledge, was the GARFIELD button sold by the Cadets. It was in an oval shape, maroon, with a white stripe across the center. In the white stripe was simply GARFIELD in maroon letters. As I recall they sold them for a quarter. The year they were introduced was 1959.

I can't speak for the corps in other parts of the country, but if they did have buttons available prior to that date, I never saw one.

The first full-scale souvenir operation was introduced by The Troopers at a contest in Dubuque, Iowa. It was a real covered wagon that they brought to shows on a trailer. At the very first show when they began souvenir sales they made more money with the souvenirs than they did with contest prize money. That was absolutely the beginning of the large scale souvenir operations that all corps now operate.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...