[French] Horn Pieces

BMBob

First off, I need to say that it hurt to include the word "French" in the title, even though it's in brackets.

Now, to the point. With the job I'm working now, I'm not able to play in as many ensembles as I have in the past. In order to keep myself in good playing shape, I've been working on solo rep, but have trouble picking one and sticking with it without somewhere to perform. I figure if a good piece is suggested to me, I can focus on that, eith the pretext that it was requested of me.

I've played most of the standard horn rep, but am not at all against revisiting any of it.

Thanks, guys!

First off, I need to say that it hurt to include the word "French" in the title

Don't be a nob. Call it a French Horn, so the rest of the underprivileged world knows what you're talking about.

Don't be a nob. Call it a French Horn, so the rest of the underprivileged world knows what you're talking about.

Lol - I do, depending on who I'm talking to. I usually just say horn first and then add it when I get questioning looks. I realize that when you just say horn, the majority of people don't know whether you're talking about a trumpet, saxophone, tuba, or what.

And it's not being a snob. It's just that I don't understand how US English is somehow the only language that uses French as part of the name, especially when it doesn't truly apply.

I'm a BIG fan of the Rheinberger Sonata. If you've ever wished that Brahms had written a sonata, then the Rheinberger is for you - very Brahmsian and Romantic. It's also quite reasonable with plenty of rest and reasonable range (Bb is the top note, if memory serves...).

Alec Wilder is also a favorite of mine - especially Sonatas 1 and 3, and the Suite for horn and piano -

I LOVE Wilder, too!

I have not played the Rheinberger, and I'll look into it. The Brahms comparison has me EXTREMELY interested. Range shouldn't be an issue with anything, but it's always good to have something to play where you aren't necessarily focusing on hitting the outer pitches and can really hone in on the music.

It's just that I don't understand how US English is somehow the only language that uses French as part of the name, especially when it doesn't truly apply.

By the same token, for the last 80 years US English has called a valved instrument in G a bugle.

By the same token, for the last 80 years US English has called a valved instrument in G a bugle.

This is true. Neither makes much sense.

At least french fries have a reason to be called french (due to the traditional style of cut, like french cut green beans).