Best World Champion...

Best World Champion of the 2000s?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Here we are everyone. The Best of the Best World Champion from the past ten years. Make your vote count:

• 2000 - The Cadets (We Are the Future)
    • 2000 - The Cavaliers (Niagra Falls)
    • 2001 - The Cavaliers (Four Corners)
    • 2002 - The Cavaliers (Frameworks)
    • 2003 - Blue Devils (The Phenomenon of Cool)
    • 2004 - The Cavaliers (007)
    • 2005 - The Cadets (The Zone: Dreamscapes in Four Parts with a Door)
    • 2006 - The Cavaliers (MACHINE)
    • 2007 - Blue Devils (Winged Victory)
    • 2008 - Phantom Regiment (Spartacus)
    • 2009 - Blue Devils (1930)

NOTE: PR 2009 designers heard it and it sure worked out swimmingly for them. :tongue:

. . .no, PR's designers came up with a weak show concept that was supported by a subpar visual program last year and suffered heavy rewrites all throughout the season. If that had happened to any of the "big 3" (as we're terming them in this thread), the drop off might not have been as far down the standings, but it would have just been as noticeable.

PR tried to perform "variations on a theme" utilizing a theme that wasn't able to hold and captivate the judges or the audience, and their numbers suffered. I'd have to go back to the mid-80's to find a PR show that failed to engage me as much as last year did.

Much like the championship missteps that Cadets 2006 took in trying to program and push too much, Blue Devils took in 2005 by attempting to take a winterguard show and move it whole cloth into the drum corps idiom, and the Cavaliers had last year with a show that was extremely sterile in its execution. . .every designer can drop the ball occasionally.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . .no, PR's designers came up with a weak show concept that was supported by a subpar visual program last year and suffered heavy rewrites all throughout the season. If that had happened to any of the "big 3" (as we're terming them in this thread), the drop off might not have been as far down the standings, but it would have just been as noticeable.

PR tried to perform "variations on a theme" utilizing a theme that wasn't able to hold and captivate the judges or the audience, and their numbers suffered. I'd have to go back to the mid-80's to find a PR show that failed to engage me as much as last year did.

Much like the championship missteps that Cadets 2006 took in trying to program and push too much, Blue Devils took in 2005 by attempting to take a winterguard show and move it whole cloth into the drum corps idiom, and the Cavaliers had last year with a show that was extremely sterile in its execution. . .every designer can drop the ball occasionally.

Yes but the difference between the "Big 3" and Phantom (unfortunately) is that they have shown they know how to come back from that. It may not have given them Championships every time, but they have gotten themselves back into the top three each time. I hope Phantom can do the same thing next year because it was sad to see the so low in placements after such a phenomenal year.

Agreed. Now here's a question. Did BD's team in 2009 drop the design ball but win anyway?

They win in '07, so close in '08 and return in '09 with a design that seems to have a lot more in common with the failed design of '05 than any year since. They had to know that the most prominent design element, the chairs, would be controversial, distracting even. So BD emerged from a near win in '08 with a show design reliant in no small respect on something sure to raise doubts. PR emerges from a narrow win in '08 with a 2009 design similarly handicapped. One corps excels; the other doesn't. Maybe 2009 indicates a weak design can be offset by talent, execution, hard work - you name it - to make a champion. Or not?

HH

As 2000Cadet has already suggested, the DCP voters should know that BD (and I'm sure the other 2 corps) find this poll about as surprising and illuminating as the outcome of Sarah Palin running for President of Iran. :tongue:

NOTE: PR 2009 designers heard it and it sure worked out swimmingly for them. :united:

The maturity of this statement is astounding. The smiley faces really pull it all together.

Because we all know that the only reasons people have for designing shows are placement, scores, and winning...and nobody has ever missed the mark before 2009. That's what makes it such an epic fail.

All very interesting. Point is....any outcome "cooked up" from a poll taken on this little cyber encampment of lost boys known as DCP should be viewed about as "trend setting" and meaningful as a leisure suit at a 2009 Whitehouse State Dinner. Apologies to Boo, as he probably has one hanging in his closet right now, ready to go! :tongue:

Yes but the difference between the "Big 3" and Phantom (unfortunately) is that they have shown they know how to come back from that. It may not have given them Championships every time, but they have gotten themselves back into the top three each time. I hope Phantom can do the same thing next year because it was sad to see the so low in placements after such a phenomenal year.

Well, I look at it like this: Phantom (much like SCV for a while) was in flux regarding design staff, especially visual staff. Regiment seems to have a revolving door of drill writers: some hitting the mark, and some out in left field. That certianly doesn't help consistency . . .if we saw other top corps with that kind of turnover, it would hurt them as well.

However (and this goes into the DCI wayback machine a little), Regiment also has the uncanny ability to rebrand themselves after a difficult year: in 1986, the corps was in 10th place at Finals . . .enter new uniforms, a new visual tweak (gone were the hardcore guard unis and demeanor, replaced by the guard as princesses in white) and a re-dedication to the classical roots that propelled them to such strong finishes in the late 70's . . .and the corps was right back where they needed to be, coming close to winning again in 1989.

I don't think 2010 will be quite the 180 that 1987 was (the Kamen stuff seems like a good, safe kind of "rebound" show, since it's been run through the BOA machine already), but if they can hold on to Rosander, Shaw and other pieces for a few years, they'll be back up there.

All very interesting. Point is....any outcome "cooked up" from a poll taken on this little cyber encampment of lost boys known as DCP should be viewed about as "trend setting" and meaningful as a leisure suit at a 2009 Whitehouse State Dinner.

Yep, and any poll or sampling can be skewed a certain way . . .look at DCI's top downloaded shows (Fan Network tab on dci.org):

-2009 Carolina Crown

-2008 Phantom Regiment

-2009 Santa Clara Vanguard

-2008 Phantom Regiment

-2009 Blue Devils

-2002 The Cavaliers

-2004 Santa Clara Vanguard

-2008 Carolina Crown

. . .not a lot of BD, Cavaliers . . .and no Cadets in that list. Could we infer from that download list that Carolina Crown is the most popular DCI corps, based on downloads? Possibly. Could we infer that more people like Phantom Regiment 2008 than BD 2009? Perhaps.

Meh. It is what it is. . .discussion fodder and nothing more.

Well, I look at it like this: Phantom (much like SCV for a while) was in flux regarding design staff, especially visual staff. Regiment seems to have a revolving door of drill writers: some hitting the mark, and some out in left field. That certianly doesn't help consistency . . .if we saw other top corps with that kind of turnover, it would hurt them as well.

However (and this goes into the DCI wayback machine a little), Regiment also has the uncanny ability to rebrand themselves after a difficult year: in 1986, the corps was in 10th place at Finals . . .enter new uniforms, a new visual tweak (gone were the hardcore guard unis and demeanor, replaced by the guard as princesses in white) and a re-dedication to the classical roots that propelled them to such strong finishes in the late 70's . . .and the corps was right back where they needed to be, coming close to winning again in 1989.

I don't think 2010 will be quite the 180 that 1987 was (the Kamen stuff seems like a good, safe kind of "rebound" show, since it's been run through the BOA machine already), but if they can hold on to Rosander, Shaw and other pieces for a few years, they'll be back up there.

Oh, I have no doubt about that. We can also use the past few years as an example. After 2002 (I think), they've made a steady climb back to the top; hell we can just look at 2008 within itself. From 4th to 1st in a couple weeks. I just think people on this forum should not regard the top three as the red-headed stepchildren of drum corps just because they have been very successful at putting out shows that have the ability to win, regardless of how fan-unfriendly some people here may think those shows have been.

While the 2008 Regiment show was incredible, and the 2005 Cadets were unbelievable, I had to go with the 2002 Cavaliers based purely on the overtones I heard coming from the hornline at Murfreesboro that season. :tongue: