Blue Devils switch to Pearl

LuvsPAisTe

Nobody else find this interesting?

Not really... Dynasty still has Phantom and Rhythm X. They won't suffer.

The only thing I want to know is if RCC will be switching as well, seeing as they are basically composed of the Blue Devils.

Edited by wturner901

Not really... Dynasty still has Phantom and Rhythm X. They won't suffer.

The only thing I want to know is if RCC will be switching as well, seeing as they are basically composed of the Blue Devils.

They're going to King brass as well, I think.

The only ting I can think of that would drive away such a consistently competitive corps like BD from the entire Dynasty product line would be some issue of lack of service or responsiveness to BD's needs. Only the BD staff knows for sure, and I highly doubt you'd get an answer out of Gibbs, Downey, or Johnson (in fact, I don't think ScoJo gave any hint of why when this was posted on the BD board)

I don't know for a fact, but when this happened the best reason that was brought up was that BD is trying to make the most money from their System Blue or whatever their program is called. They've switched now from Vic Firth and Dynasty, former main stays of the organization. If Dynasty wasn't willing to give them a cut of their own line or drums, maybe Pearl was. Vic Firth wasn't, but Pro-Mark was and I've heard they're making a decent profit from it. It's a great business idea really. Trying to capitalize the bando market by their name.

Hopefully the System Blue proceeds will sufficiently offset the drop in bingo revenue in the last few years. When I marched, BD had the only bingo hall in Contra Costa County. In more recent years, tho, more halls have cropped up, and then there was the Indian gaming that further cut into revenues.

They've switched now from Vic Firth and Dynasty, former main stays of the organization.

Before Dynasty was a Blue Devils "mainstay", Yamaha was. Before Yamaha, Ludwig was. Before Ludwig, Slingerland was. The only constant is change.

It's not just the Blue Devils. Off the top of my head, here are some of the changes I've seen since the 1990s:

• BD from Yamaha to Dynasty to Pearl.
  • Phantom Regiment from Pearl to Premier to Pearl to Dynasty.
  • Bluecoats, Crown, Cavies, and Cadets from Pearl to Yamaha.
  • Colts from Premier to Yamaha.
  • Blue Knights from Premier to Pearl.
  • Crossmen from Premier to Pearl to Yamaha.
  • Boston Crusaders from Ludwig to Dynasty to Pearl.
  • Blue Stars from Premier to Yamaha to Ludwig to Pearl

With change being so frequent, it's hard to be shocked when the Blue Devils or other corps switch percussion manufacturers. Or brass manufacturers for that matter.

Edited by SkyDog

It's all about who's giving the sweetest deal at the time and how bad a company really wants a corps to be playing their product. And as to offsetting the bingo stuff, I hope so for them. It seems like a good idea that they're trying to cash in on the Blue Devil name and staff name.

"It's all about who's giving the sweetest deal at the time and how bad a company really wants a corps to be playing their product. And as to offsetting the bingo stuff, I hope so for them. It seems like a good idea that they're trying to cash in on the Blue Devil name and staff name."

As soon as I saw the story, this was my first thought, too. The same thing has been going on for years with the other big-name corps in both DCI and DCA. I believe it's all about the money or the deal, not necessarily the quality. However, I would disagree about the Pearl vs. Dynasty quality issue. My personal experience has been that top-of-the-line Pearl is every bit as good as Dynasty, if not better, but that's more of a personal opinion than anything.

I can speak for some the members of BD who I spoke w/ that marched over the decade including those that marched in 99-01 era who complained about Dynasty drums and how they wish they could play on Yamaha. Specifically how they sound and quality of the equipment. On a positive side, they liked how responsive Dynasty was though. The displeasure among some members never ceased.