Corps duties outside of marching and playing

04 - bus loading

05 - field lining

06 - field lining skeleton crew

07 - scaffolding

08 - scaffolding

09 - FIELD CLEAN UP!!! best tour job ever.

Did you actually ever do that job in '09????

Anyway

08-Scaffolding

09-Scaffolding

I ####### hate the scaffolding... finals week was hell... #### the scaffolding... and #### staff members who think they know how the scaffolding should be, when they know #### about the scaffolding.

Haha, i'm done.

I apologize for the complaining..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I marched...

Baritones - gym cleanup when leaving a housing site.

Sopranos - bus loading of luggage when leaving a housing site.

Contras - pit loading crew for the equipment truck.

Euphs - Scaffolding. Cake. One person could do it (up or down) in an hour. Only 6 to 8 of us, but still. I ended up doing it by myself prematurely a lot my age out year. The advantages of having a CHROME horn. No 1+ hours polishing pre-show on that beast.

I'm not sure what Mello / FH did? Field lining?

Cymbals did sleeping gear loading on the brig. I'm not sure what snares / pit / ?? did. Locker room?

-----

In '93 I did the cooking crew thing. Definitely no harder job on tour. With 2 crews (2 people per crew / 4 total). It was still a 12 hour a day job. And that was with the director doing most of the food runs. And a number of scholarships for working members to take the trash out and whatnot to offset dues obligations. Our little tour prisoners. 24/7 for 2+ months. 4+ meals a day. Even 2+ hour fuel stops had the kitchen open for business. Days off too. There is no harder job. Driving staff gets days off. Kitchen staff, not so much. Although it's amazing the establishments in proximity of schools for those 12 hours (per crew) of not working per day. If only it was so easy to find stuff these days. It's like you walked a block and over this hill (literally) there was a mecca of indulgence. All walking distance from a school. The glory days...

Pit. Unload the truck. Load the truck. Line the field. Rinse, repeat.

I spent a week on tour with Troop last summer. Let me tell you, nobody works harder than the people serving you youngsters your food. NOBODY. You should all bow down and kiss their grease covered feet!

Yikes, you guys had to do field lining too? My condolences. We just unloaded and loaded more times than I could count.

did field lining, mostly was responsible for loading and unloading the equipment truck my age-out year... helped cook breakfast one morning.

before DCI came along to make drumcorps better:

We ate in restaurants.

We stayed in hotels or dorms.

There were no fieldlines, except a 50.

There was no scaffolding.

You put your own stuff on the bus, or checked your bags on the train to Nationals. But nothing was bigger than the 2 bass drums. No contras.

And we practiced at home before we got to the shows, so we had tons of free time on every turnout.

Edited by HornsUp

This last season, definitely had the most tour jobs possible, but they weren't too horrible overall.

Had to do bus loading, which really isn't that bad when your team gets it down to a science, and has enough extra space that certain bus loaders can throw extra stuff under there so we don't have to carry it on the bus. (AKA, water jug, backpack when not needed)

Euphonium section had gym clean-up, which was always easy, and we got to keep any stuff people left behind, or give them crap for leaving it behind. Unexpected perk, I started the season with 2 under-armours for under the uniform, ended the season with 4. Woohoo gym clean-up. Just wash them at the next laundry stop, and they're like new.

Also had control over power strips, which is such an awesome job, cause you get priority to charge your own stuff first.

Rookie trumpets who weren't on scaffolding (the girls, :cry: ) got to baby the sound system everywhere... we got pretty good at finding trash bags for when it rained. The worst part about that though, was finding power at the various back in the middle of nowhere fields we practiced on.

The trumpets as a whole had bus loading. We got it down pretty quick, not too bad. =)

In the Freelancers... the baritone line was ALWAYS in charge of cleaning the gym... and we enforced the "get your stuff out by _____ o'clock" with strict vengeance. We then also were in charge of the "Stuff Left in The Gym Charity Auction" in which all proceeds went to the Baritone "Beverage" Fund.

in 04, I was on field lining

05, it was bus loading

07, back to field lining. The 5 or 6 of us (i can't remember) could a field lined from 20 to 20 in 15 minutes. Thanks to that, we never had to wake up much earlier than the rest of the corps. There was also a drumline and color guard field lining crew for when they needed their own practice fields.

Fielding lining was great because even though you do wake up early, when you are in a rush to leave a housing site, you dont have a job to worry about :cry: