1978 Spirit of Atlanta

1978 was my 2nd year of DCI fandom, and my MOST vivid memory of those early years was at a small field in Greeley, CO, at a small show preliminary to nats in Denver, having my mind completely and unretrievably blown away by the sheer beauty and power of Jim Ott's horn book for Spirit. And to this day, I have NEVER had a show have an emotional impact on me like that one did. The words soulful, uplifting, and emotionally nourishing come to mind, but words truly fail. It was like taking drugs! I made a cassette tape at that show and I listened to it at least 300-400 times and it never got old. I was ALMOST in need of an intervention for rehab! The opening fanfare, the joyful and ebullient Walk Him Up, the soulfully bluesy and (at the up-tempo shift) even more joyful Higher and Higher, then Let It Be Me. Wow! Everyone talks about 1980, but for me 1978 was Jim Ott's greatest masterpiece. I sadly (tragically??) lost my cassette tape and the audio quality on the APD is terrible. Doesn't do the music justice at all. But I still have the memory. And WHAT a memory! Thank you, Mr. Ott. And Mr. Float.

Thoughts?

1978 was my 2nd year of DCI fandom, and my MOST vivid memory of those early years was at a small field in Greeley, CO, at a small show preliminary to nats in Denver, having my mind completely and unretrievably blown away by the sheer beauty and power of Jim Ott's horn book for Spirit. And to this day, I have NEVER had a show have an emotional impact on me like that one did. The words soulful, uplifting, and emotionally nourishing come to mind, but words truly fail. It was like taking drugs! I made a cassette tape at that show and I listened to it at least 300-400 times and it never got old. I was ALMOST in need of an intervention for rehab! The opening fanfare, the joyful and ebullient Walk Him Up, the soulfully bluesy and (at the up-tempo shift) even more joyful Higher and Higher, then Let It Be Me. Wow! Everyone talks about 1980, but for me 1978 was Jim Ott's greatest masterpiece. I sadly (tragically??) lost my cassette tape and the audio quality on the APD is terrible. Doesn't do the music justice at all. But I still have the memory. And WHAT a memory! Thank you, Mr. Ott. And Mr. Float.

Thoughts?

I marched in that show, and in fact The Avant Garde Toured pretty much the same tour as Spirit so we got to see them perform alot that year and let me say that I totally agree with you. They were Massive, they were new and exciting and they were Freakin LOUD!!!!!!!! Not as polished perhaps as 79 & 80, but 100% MORE EXCITING. My ears were almost bleeding after seeing them for the first time in Virginia that year. WOW

Edited by BariBrian

On the recommendation of a good friend, I went down to the front row in Allentown to watch them perform in prelims. Holy cow. It was a hot, hot day and I was covered in goose bumps and grinning from ear to ear throughout the entire performance. Great corps; great memory.

KS

I remember seeing them in Cedarburg that year. At that time, the corps marched in the infield of a race track at old Firemen's Park. There was a roof over the grandstand that trapped the sound, much like the old CNE stadium inCanada. When Spirit has the first big hit in their opening fanfare, I thought the place would come apart! Deafening, yet not crass. Great bottom!! I had much the same feeling I had after seeing 1970 SCV in Milwaukee...Holy mackeral, who ARE those guys??

Edited by Jim Anello

I remember our equipment truck broke down when we got to the housing site that we were sharing with SOA on 1st tour, so Zingali had the us working the " Basic Block" when all of a sudden their hornline started warming up.

To this day I swear they movred the school with their volume and tone & Intonation. One of the greates thing I ever heard.

(second only to their 1980 leaving DCI retreat rendition of Georgia)

Edited by john2780

I had the pleasure of experiencing this horn line up close and personal for two straight years and all I can say is that if you weren't around to witness Spirit of Atlanta live in 78-80 you missed out on something very special. Recordings just can't convey what it was like to stand in front of this corps, be it from the sideline or all the way from the top of the stadium. I'm not even going to try and explain it because I can't, you just had to be there.

I used to get a kick out of watching people's reaction to 78' Spirit in general and the horn line in particular. One memory that stands out in my mind is that by the time the corps would get to the end of the show, many members of other corps would work their way around to the front of the field just to experience the intensity of the ending and they were never disappointed.

Edited by Russellrks

Just listened to Spirit 78 on the Fan Network. An AWESOME hornline. Marching in drum corps when I did (early 90s) I did not understand the reputation of Spirit, as they had slipped a little bit since the late 70s, early 80s. Wish I had seen them in that day.