Did Neil Peart ever march

Didn't he march with Madonna?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could swear that about 20 years ago, Al Murray told me that he marched in a line (somewhere) with Neil. But then again, I may be having a senior moment......

Funny, i hear you on the "senior moment" because i seem to remember asking Al about this circa; 15 years ago and he said he marched w/Neil with the Seneca Optimists...

-

Anyway i asked Al Murray on FB and he seems to think he did march but isn't sure. He said he'd look into it later.

Edited by damjiboo

Wasn't Neil already in Rush by 1976?

Funny, i hear you on the "senior moment" because i seem to remember asking Al about this circa; 15 years ago and he said he marched w/Neil with the Seneca Optimists...

-

Anyway i asked Al Murray on FB and he seems to think he did march but isn't sure. He said he'd look into it later.

I think he joined Rush in 1974 so he was never in Seneca Optimist. If memory serves me correct Peart was from Hamilton. He replaced John Rutsey and joined Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.

he did join in 74 replacing Rutsey, but was from St. Catherines area

Then he went to Bayonne and marched right alongside Madonna :tongue:

Hamilton/St. Catherines...it's all the same aye?

he did join in 74 replacing Rutsey, but was from St. Catherines area

I think he joined Rush in 1974 so he was never in Seneca Optimist. If memory serves me correct Peart was from Hamilton. He replaced John Rutsey and joined Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.

From Wikipedia...

Early life

Peart was born on his family's farm in Hagersville,[3][4] on the outskirts of Hamilton. The first child of four, his brother Danny and sisters Judy and Nancy were born after the family moved to St. Catharines when Peart was two. At this time his father became parts manager for Dalziel Equipment, a farm machinery supplier. In 1956 the family moved to the Port Dalhousie area of the town. Peart attended Gracefield School, and describes his childhood as happy and says he experienced a warm family life. By early adolescence he became interested in music and acquired a transistor radio, which he would use to tune into pop music stations broadcasting from Toronto, Hamilton and Welland, Ontario and Buffalo, USA.[4]

His first exposure to musical training came in the form of piano lessons, which he later said in his instructional video A Work in Progress did not have much impact on him. He had a penchant for drumming on various objects around the house with a pair of chopsticks, so for his 13th birthday, his parents bought him a pair of drum sticks, a practice pad and some lessons, with the promise that if he stuck with it for a year, they would buy him a kit.[4]

His parents bought him a drum kit for his 14th birthday and he began taking lessons from Don George at the Peninsula Conservatory of Music.[4] His stage debut took place that year at the school's Christmas pageant in St. Johns Anglican Church Hall in Port Dalhousie. His next appearance was at Lakeport High School with his first group, The Eternal Triangle. This performance contained an original number entitled "LSD Forever". At this show he performed his first solo.[4]

Peart got a job in Lakeside Park, a fairground on the shores of Lake Ontario, which later inspired a song of the same name on the Rush album Caress of Steel.[5] He worked on the Bubble Game and Ball Toss, but his tendency to take it easy when business was slack resulted in his termination. By his late teens, Peart had played in local bands such as Mumblin’ Sumpthin’, the Majority, and JR Flood. These bands practiced in basement recreation rooms and garages and played church halls, high schools and roller rinks in towns across Southern Ontario such as Mitchell, Seaforth, and Elmira. They also played in the northern Ontario city of Timmins. Tuesday nights were filled with jam sessions at the Niagara Theatre Centre.[4]

[edit] Career before joining Rush

At eighteen years of age, after struggling to achieve success as a drummer in Canada, Peart traveled to London hoping to further his career as a professional musician.[2]

Yeah. I seem to remember him saying in an interview that he was aware of drum corps and admired it, but that he had not marched.

I remember reading the same interview. Modern Drummer maybe?