Best Non-Championship show to follow a Championship Year

piggy back on Cavies79, "Make His Praise Glorious" one of my favorite off the lines productions....

PR 97 The Ring... loved it

Edited by Cop

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD 2000 and BD 2004, hands down. I actually like both of these shows better than the both of the previous years championship shows (99 and 03).

Mike,

That was a difficult season for the corps too. They had just lost Steve Brubaker (drill designer) from brain cancer. The show was dedicated to him. I believe if the drill could have been cleaner in 93, they would have a chance to win it all. But, they I believe it was Michael Gaine's first drill or else Mitch Rogers. Both have become very good writers.

Huh - I did not know that. Thanks for the info!

Mike

If you had to pick a show that followed a championship year, that did not win, but you felt was better, what year/show would it be? For example, I like 2000 BD better than their 1999 show which won/tied for first place. My top two choices would be:

1) 2000 BD - I just think if this show was in 1999, it also would of won. I do like 1999, but the 2000 show is a show still today that I would show to someone who had no idea what DCI was. The show has no weak moments at all. It is close, but a third place in 2000 was a first in a few other years, I guarentee it. Better drill than 1999, and while the drumline may have been better in 99, to me 2000 was an overall more talented corp. (Would love feedback from members who marched both years)

2) 2003 Cavaliers - I am in the minority, but I like this show better than 2002. Give them 2 more weeks and a better drumline, they win hands down. The most difficult Cavaliers show ever, IMO. This is the best visual I have ever seen, dirty musically, but WOW, would of won in 2000-2002, 2004 and even maybe would still win today. 2002 was awesome, but it is second to 2003 for my all time Cavaliers shows.

I agree with both of those. 2000 BD is one of my favorites. I never cared for 2002 Cavies, but 2003 Cavies has some of the best moments in drum corps history, IMO.

I'd also add the following:

BD 1995

Cadets 1999

Star 92.

Outrageous hornline, wonderful drill, pinpoint accurate percussion, beautiful guard. The whole package.

/thread

Star 92.

Outrageous hornline, wonderful drill, pinpoint accurate percussion, beautiful guard. The whole package.

/thread

Opening thread again because the Star 92 show is CRAP. Well-executed crap, but still...

SCV 1975. Best show conceived by drum corps minds up to that time, still holds up well, and the best snareline ever.

I really like Garfield's 1999 Big Apple show. And give them credit for 1986, they did a severely disjointed, two-act,tension-and-release show that had a lot of people scratching their heads, but they sold it really well.

The only one that really pops out to me is Cavaliers 2007. I know I will be in the minority on this but, I liked Billy Joel waaayyyy better than Machine. Cavies 2007 is probably the only show of their decade which relies on the music as the main focus. And the 2006 show is in my opinion, the most reliant on the visual side. Other then the second movement (jazz in 5), that show really seems like simply a musical soundtrack accompanying mind-blowing visual after visual.

Other than that, I probably like Cadets 1991 better than 1990, but not by much. It was dirty, but the musical selections were awesome.

92 Star

95 BD

98 BD

99 Cadets

00 SCV

03 Cavies

04 BD

08 BD