designers

dugg

as a fan [and a fully acredited arbiter of good taste*] i would like to thank those designers who make it a purpose to extend their range from year to year.let us credit those artists who are willing to change,to go beyond the current trends and reward those who are willing to take risks and attempt new approaches to our activity.

*not valid in utah

Edited by dugg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would put santa clara vanguard at the top of this list this year as they are truly "making it new"! :w00t:

Edited by dugg

i would put santa clara vanguard at the top of this list this year as they are truly "making it new"! :w00t:

I'm intruiged that you mentioned SCV...I watched them yesterday on the WGI Fan Network and was not blown away.

I have not seen them live and the video is too far for me to see faces and performance aspects up close. I was buying the string music, then the darn Alleluia song was introduced and they lost me...WHY use that???!!...there is so much music out there that is original and have never been used. It really bothered me that they chose that piece...

On top of that...there are some groups/designers that can just get away with stuff. If any unknown group or designer presented a show that stayed in the back corner of the floor for 45 sec to a minute like SCV does, they would be crucified by the judges...yes I udnerstand that it the intent of their show but it bothers me.

of course this is all my opinion, but it goes to my continual argument that WGI caters to a favored few...until you are on that "list" you have to play by the rules...

Flame away... :flower: but be nice...it is only my opinion

I must admit...I agree with Dugg and reward new things...I too watched the Fan Network s SCV performance and just wasn`t given enough information to give you a truthful response. However ... I was blown away that 3:30 minutes had passed before they crossed past the middle of the floor. From what I can see it looks like the equipment work is very nice....but I will have to wait for the next video and pray its in from the center or right side of the floor. This show is very different if viewed from the right....I will guarantee that. :) I have no doubt it`s stunning.....I can`t wait to see it !

Edited by colorguardbear

I think I'm in the 'have to see it live' camp. I've watched SCV's show numerous times online, and I give them MAJOR kudos for doing something different and trying new approaches. But, for me at least. . something is lost in translation, at least from viewing it online. It could be a very different story when I see it in person. That said, I felt that the overall show lacked clarity. I feel like I need a libretto to understand the intellectual content of what they are trying to convey. But, I know their show is a work in progress, and I'm sure more tweaks are to come. Overall, they are again a very solid group.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

I think I'm in the 'have to see it live' camp. I've watched SCV's show numerous times online, and I give them MAJOR kudos for doing something different and trying new approaches. But, for me at least. . something is lost in translation, at least from viewing it online. It could be a very different story when I see it in person. That said, I felt that the overall show lacked clarity. I feel like I need a libretto to understand the intellectual content of what they are trying to convey. But, I know their show is a work in progress, and I'm sure more tweaks are to come. Overall, they are again a very solid group.

Yes thanks for writing more clearly what I was trying to say. :w00t: I should not be on a conference call and respond to post on this site at the same time!

I hope new and differnt is rewarded. World Class should be pushing the envelope, setting new standards, no more depending on a thousand tosses in a show and calling that new and different. Good or not if you are the top of would class you have a responsibility and should be rewarded for being different.

I love a good toss and catch BUT lets find new ways to wow us please . :w00t:

I don't completely agree that SCV's design concept is completely original or new.

So You Think You Can Dance season 5 there was a contemporary piece choreographed by Mia Michaels between Jeanine Mason and Kayla Radomski. The concept was such that the girls started in one corner and as they progressed to the other they shed layers of skirts until they finally got to the corner and the layers were gone.

Reference

Anyways, I think SCV is borrowing from the concept and just adapting it to better fit a color guard. The concept of corner to corner is a la 'yellow brick road' fashion, and stripping layered skirts is instead done by taking off [very awkward looking] collared shirts.

What I DO like about the show is that it's pretty easy to observe and take in because nothing is too far spread out, and that no member of the ensemble really has any opportunity to hide.

But, I disagree that the concept is 'making it new'.

thanks everyone i love the reply's to this post and value everyone's thoughts and opinions greatly. :flower:

regarding the world classes,who else have you seen this year who you feel has set new standards be it in concept,performance,flag design,movement,costuming,equipment,soundtrack or staging. :w00t:

Edited by dugg

thanks everyone i love the reply's to this post and value everyone's thoughts and opinions greatly. :flower:

regarding the world classes,who else have you seen this year who you feel has set new standards be it in concept,performance,flag design,movement,costuming,equipment,soundtrack or staging. :w00t:

i really enjoy the way Sac uses there "props" that rotate people... very cool!

one show i know i will enjoy is AE... and I really really like Trumbulls show this year!!

I am extremely excited to see Onyx!!!