San Antonio?

The stadium doesn't make the performance....I think even the Cowboys know that by now.

D'OH!

I remember in HS playing in the Astrodome, that was......unique....lol. We counted 7 echoes.

I seriously wonder what Reliant is like, anyone know?

Makes you wonder if DCI is having problems reserving the stadium because of the change in the schedule. That being said, there is something I've had on my chest for awhile... There are so many other texas stadiums that would be more suitable for hosting the Southwestern championship, or even the World Championship.

My shortlist:

The Cotton Bowl (Dallas, TX) - A great historical stadium and recently renovated. Site of the 1991 DCI World Championship. Build in Dallas' beautiful Fair Park. Has advantages of being near DFW Airport and is located on the DART public train system that connects all of the Dallas entertainment districts. Ever since LOS designers HKS build their other great masterpiece down the road, Cowboy Stadium, the Cotton Bowl no longer even hosts the actual Cotton Bowl and has been left without a purpose of sorts. DCI could solve this.

Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (Austin, TX) - The largest outdoor stadium in Texas. On the venerable University of Texas campus. Home of the "Showband of the Southwest" Longhorn Band. This would an amazing site for a regional or world championship event. Austin is also one of the most gorgeous cities in the state and is known as the "Live Muisc Capital of the World" besides actually being the state capital. Definitely offers more in the area of tourism than San Antonio's Creekwalk. It would also be a more efficient and strategic location between Dallas and Houston. You could even talk the university to light up the Bell Tower orange and spellout "DCI" in the windows like they do for other major events. How cool would that be?

My point is Texas has so much more to offer. Why the Alamodome? There are so many more better equipped, sounding, historical, beautiful stadiums just waiting to host something like a DCI event.

Cowboys Stadium and Reliant are indoors...better legroom, too. Cotton Bowl was tiny as a 6'5" high school senior on the other side of 200 lbs. I'm sure it would be pretty uncomfy now. Of course, that's just me!

Good call on Royal/Memorial stadium...can't believe there hasn't been an event there yet!

That being said, the Alamodome is pretty cool...if they're not losing money on the event! San Antonio is a nice trip...good food...good bars on the Riverwalk, etc. Fun running into old friends down there. I even ran into an uncle I saw at a family reunion the week before a couple years back.

Fair Park area in Dallas is a dump. Really a dump. That's why Jerry Jones went over to Arlington...didn't want to build his stadium in a slum. Unfortunately. Would have been a REAL score for redevelopment had City of Dallas torn down the Cotton Bowl and built a new place. Fair Park is a gem, yes. But drastically underutilized. Cowboys Stadium would have solved that problem. And yes, being on the DART rail line would be a distinct advantage over Cowboys Stadium. Oh well.

No Championships have been rained out. Some of the closest are as follows

1993 - Jackson, MI - It started pouring and the Madison Scouts performed in the downpour. It stopped at or near the end of their show.

1994 - Boston. The last 8 corps in Qtrs were automatically seeded into the last 8 spots in semi's. Only the last 3 corps did not perform due to rain.

One of the years in Florida (97 or 98) wasn't one of the shows delayed in the middle due to rain?

2004 - Denver. Semi Finals was delayed due to a storm in the area.

2005 - Boston. One of the shows had a longer break due to bad weather in the area.

Well, I'm sufficiently impressed...knowing that about 94 is pretty detailed stuff! We were the last corps to perform...actually, I think SCV may have gone after us? Memory fades. I thought that was weird at the time because we only lost to SCV once and never looked back after that. 1/4's seems awfully late for that show to be weighing in on start times.

Field was NASTY that night. I mean REALLY nasty. If anyone had fallen they would have gone down in whities and come up looking like a Cavalier (i.e. green paint). Semis and Finals were the first time we beat our cross-state rivals all year. As a matter of fact, I think Phantom beat Cavies at Finals in 96 and semis and finals in 2008...did I miss any in there? Quite a string of success by Cavies, I have to admit.

Edit: Oh, and I am ashamed to admit that I went out for a hot dog before Madison's performance in 93. The rain really affected Cavies and Scouts...Cavies were off...Scouts were ON!! Heard them from the tunnel. Oops.

Edited by silvertrombone

Imagine what Jerry would do if a toss hit his precious TV that's hanging from the roof?

Oh, I doubt a toss would reach that high. But a pre-season smarty pants on a visiting team was kicking straight up into the screen just because he could. Jerry was pretty ticked. If you try to punt downfield like you're supposed to, you shouldn't be able to hit the screen apparently...you know, try to pin the opponent as far down field and in the corner as possible. Well, this punter kicks it straight up. Pretty funny.

Which is why the date for San Antonio changed. My point is that the date changed based on the date of finals not on the TBA convention.

Gotcha

The cotton bowl is not a great place for finals. I was there as a spectator in '91. First and foremost, it was butt azz hot. IMO the energy level of the corps was effected by this. I have many friends from Star of Indiana who marched that show and they stated this to me many times. Second, the parking situation for the cotton bowl is terrible. Lastly, it's in a crap azz neighborhood.

I'm not sure if the show coincides with the Texas Bandmasters' Convention this year, but that was a big selling point when it was first created. DKR wouldn't be a bad option as Austin has almost as many touristy reasons to host such an event but the weather is still a major reason not to have it there. I hate domes from an acoustical point of view but even as a die hard fan, I see no way that I could sit for an entire day in the scorching sun.

The cotton bowl is not a great place for finals. I was there as a spectator in '91. First and foremost, it was butt azz hot. IMO the energy level of the corps was effected by this. I have many friends from Star of Indiana who marched that show and they stated this to me many times. Second, the parking situation for the cotton bowl is terrible. Lastly, it's in a crap azz neighborhood.

I'm not sure if the show coincides with the Texas Bandmasters' Convention this year, but that was a big selling point when it was first created. DKR wouldn't be a bad option as Austin has almost as many touristy reasons to host such an event but the weather is still a major reason not to have it there. I hate domes from an acoustical point of view but even as a die hard fan, I see no way that I could sit for an entire day in the scorching sun.

Here-here! I was there for VFW Finals back in 1971 and it was "Africa Hot". :smile:

Still waiting for tix info on the SA show. Come on DCI, some of us are planning vacations now. What is the hold up????

Ticketmaster still has no idea what's going on either. They originally said Thursday the 21st but now nothing.