DCP No Longer Important?

" The once and great drive- in movie critic Joe Bob Biggs " ? I've never even seen any of original movies that he's been in, let alone his " sequels "

Edited by BRASSO

You quote Jimmy Stewart and Frank Capra who collaborated on what surely was one of the greatest movies ever made. In the half a century since "It's a Wonderful Life" debuted, lots of great movies have been made, many of them with little more than actors, directors and celluoid in common with that masterpiece. Who doubts how miserable movies would seem had Stewart, Capra and all the colleagues who succeeded them limited their vision to sensibilities - and yes the technology - of a single age? Most of the movies since Wonderful Life were worse. Some were just as good, maybe better.

Irony is IAWL wasn't that well received by the critics or the public when it came out. Only later was it received as a "classic". Very seldom does anyone bring up the fact that it was considered a stinkeroo at the time. IIRC, Stewart refused to say anything bad about it at the time since Capra gave him his first big role after returning from Air Corps serive in WWII.

Heh went to college in Jimmy Stewarts hometown and even got the mans autograph. But still bored to tears by some of his movies.....

Which proves what?

The once and great drive-in movie critic Joe Bob Briggs once wrote that the mistake movie studios make isn't that they make sequels, it's that they make sequels that are different from the original box-office success. That's what you and your audience want, right? A sequel just like the original. The same movie with a different name.

You can say DCI (or me) don't care about what the audience thinks, but you'd be wrong. I suspect DCI (like me) believes the audience needs to be led a bit. It's not ignoring the audience. It's challenging the audience to new levels of experience and satisfaction. I believe there is room in the world for Godfather and Godfather II. Godfather III is another story and proof enough why we can't replicate for the formula forever.

You quote Jimmy Stewart and Frank Capra who collaborated on what surely was one of the greatest movies ever made. In the half a century since "It's a Wonderful Life" debuted, lots of great movies have been made, many of them with little more than actors, directors and celluoid in common with that masterpiece. Who doubts how miserable movies would seem had Stewart, Capra and all the colleagues who succeeded them limited their vision to sensibilities - and yes the technology - of a single age? Most of the movies since Wonderful Life were worse. Some were just as good, maybe better.

Movies get worse and they get better; it's inevitable. Drum corps too.

HH

Coke once was arrogant enough to believe their customers needed to be led a bit to experience new levels of satisfaction. Yet unlike DCI they listened to their customers. I may have missed the post, I have not seen one post where someone said they would no longer go to a Show if A/E went away. ( I am sure I will see one now)

Dean

When I was in drum and BUGLE corps thousands of years ago. We actually respected the folks that came before us. Revered them in fact. Because they were able to put quality out year after year, without outrageous budgets, without gimicks, without BIG MONEY instructors. My point here is, it seems to me, that those are the very people that DO know how to run a drum corps and the activity in general.

You speak with scorn about the current DCI activity. If you do not respect those of today, why should they respect you?

You speak with scorn about the current DCI activity. If you do not respect those of today, why should they respect you?

:thumbup: :thumbup:

This ten times over. I have a great deal of respect for those who came before myself. Funny how easy it is to lose respect, eh? I should respect someone who thinks I should respect them because they respected people. While said person sits back and speaks with scorn about the activity I was involved in? Yeah, right. Stick to DCP. It's about as far away from reality as tour.

Edited by DrillmanSop06

GUARDLING, I believe PRUDENT drum corps officials do take this site seriously. As for corps organizations instructing their members and parents to stay away, that decision is mostly based upon fear, NOT the value found at this site. There is no way for any corps organization to guarantee someone, somewhere affiliated with it will not embarrass the group, either on purpose, or by naiveté. I am a bit troubled by such prohibitions, however.

Well, I've seen many a post something like "Oh, you march with so-and-so yet you speak like this? I used to like your corps, but if YOU are an example of their membership, my opinion has really gone down the tubes..."

So I totally understand why a corps does not want it's members posting AS corps members.

After all, they can just post without referencing their corps in their sig or something.

This ten times over. I have a great deal of respect for those who came before myself. Funny how easy it is to lose respect, eh? I should respect someone who thinks I should respect them because they respected people. While said person sits back and speaks with scorn about the activity I was involved in? Yeah, right. Stick to DCP. It's about as far away from reality as tour.

I respect every kid out there. My issue is with too many of the adults

And from the other side (I'm 52) I also have respect for todays members for putting up with the crap we all have/had to do to get the show on the show and refine it. Have seen a few amped shows and it I just don't like it enough to take the money and time to attend WC shows. But have had the chance to talk to some DCI members in person and enjoyed that very much. (OK enjoy the talking better than the shows.)

Edit: Forgot I talked to some Teal volunteers at a parade near Baltimore last year. :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Which proves what?

Those quotes don't "prove" anything....they just serve as a reminder that the audience matters.

And even that isn't a truism....drum corps has existed in several forms without audience support (or with hardly any audience)....but in the case of DCI world-class, a paying audience is essential to $u$tain their operating model.