News From DCI Winter Meetings

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were people in the early 80s as frightened at the rate of change as some of us are now?

I was there, and no, no one was frightened, because the changes in program were largely changes of vocabulary, not changes of language.

The growth that happened in the early 80s was mostly related to the complexity and thoroughness of the music and the heightened demand in visual programs. The activity learned a bunch of new "words" in the same language it already spoke, making the programs more sophisticated.

Between 1979 and 1985, the biggest physical change to the activity was the creation of the pit, but since mallet instruments had been legal since 1974, this was seen as simply being a common-sense reaction to the ridiculous idea of carrying tympani and keyboards, as well as an opportunity to expand the vocabulary of those instruments.

But radically trying to change WHO could march, bringing in whole new classes of instrumentation (some that require electricity to operate, no less), and trying to change the essential sound of the artform by introducing woodwinds are changes of a totally different scale.

Edited by mobrien

I was there, and no, no one was frightened, because the changes in program were largely changes of vocabulary, not changes of language.

The growth that happened in the early 80s was mostly related to the complexity and thoroughness of the music and the heightened demand in visual programs. The activity learned a bunch of new "words" in the same language it already spoke, making the programs more sophisticated.

Between 1979 and 1985, the biggest physical change to the activity was the creation of the pit, but since mallet instruments had been legal since 1974, this was seen as simply being a common-sense reaction to the ridiculous idea of carrying tympani and keyboards, as well as an opportunity to expand the vocabulary of those instruments.

But radically trying to change WHO could march, bringing in whole new classes of instrumentation (some that require electricity to operate, no less), and trying to change the essential sound of the artform by introducing woodwinds are changes of a totally different scale.

Two other big changes from that era - both on the visual end of the activity - were the introduction of assymetrical drill (see SCV 1980) and the speed at which the performers marched (see Garfield Cadets 1983 and on).

Neither of these changes - as big as they were - required rules changes (as far as I know).

Two other big changes from that era - both on the visual end of the activity - were the introduction of assymetrical drill (see SCV 1980) and the speed at which the performers marched (see Garfield Cadets 1983 and on).

Neither of these changes - as big as they were - required rules changes (as far as I know).

What changes were required with assymetrical drill in judging? I know Santa Clara placed lower in 1980 than usual with their talent level. I always heard it was because of using assymetrical drill near the end of their show and the judges were not prepared to evaluate it. So... following rule changes in DCI, Garfield got credit for bringing assymetrical drill to DCI with their 1983 show. Is this not correct?

Those are both what I would consider "vocabulary" changes; they were more sophisticated expressions in a language that already existed.

So by your argument it is syntactically impossible to state that you currently care about something to such a degree that would allow you to care about it less than you already do.

Not impossible, but the grammaticality would be questionable in this specific situation.

IIRC the two big reasons were:

1) Drum lines moving from elevator drills up and down the 50 yard line and tymps and bell players had problems keeping up with the movement.

2) Drum writers were trying out new percussion instruments and/or wanted to add to existing numbers. Having one person play four (grounded) tymps would free up 3 drummers to play other percussion instruments. (Irony of course is how many people are in the pit today.)

What changes were required with assymetrical drill in judging? I know Santa Clara placed lower in 1980 than usual with their talent level. I always heard it was because of using assymetrical drill near the end of their show and the judges were not prepared to evaluate it. So... following rule changes in DCI, Garfield got credit for bringing assymetrical drill to DCI with their 1983 show. Is this not correct?

Looking at the 1980 recap, SCV finished 4th in overall visual, with a 3rd in VA (the precursor to today's Ens Vis) and 4th in GE M&M. It seems it was the 8th place in percussion and 7th in brass that hurt them.