News From DCI Winter Meetings

" No".... I don't think the majority of DCI Directors today would favor woodwinds in their Corps.

That said, do you think the majority of the 1979 DCI Directors were in favor of synths, narration, guitars, singing, etc in 1979 ? .......and 2nd question : do you think the majority of 1979 DCI directors would have believed you back in 1979 if you told them that by 2009 Corps would be approved to have synths, narration, singing, and guitars ?

It's probably not a question of " if " with woodwinds. It's probably more like a simple question of " when ".( lets not forget, we already have woodwinds in DCI competitions ( I&E ). The notion that woodwinds won't eventually find their way onto the DCI field of competition as well really seems a bit naive to me ....but who knows. we'll see)

I just think that adding a marching woodwind section is a much bigger change than electronic instruments. Maybe someday, we will get woodwinds added to the pit, but to add a whole section would fundamentally change the texture of the predominant voice.

Don't get me wrong, I hate electronics, voice, and woodwinds (even though I play one) in drum corps just as much as the next person. I just think adding woodwinds possibly would be that final straw that pushes the fan-base towards DCA. I find it hard to believe that DCI directors would approve such a thing.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the 1980 recap, SCV finished 4th in overall visual, with a 3rd in VA (the precursor to today's Ens Vis) and 4th in GE M&M. It seems it was the 8th place in percussion and 7th in brass that hurt them.

That's what I like about DCP... all you have to do is ask.

Thanks

caring.png

zomg.

This is Win.

:smile::smile::ph34r::smile:

Hey, I marched in drum corps over a decade ago, and I AM entitled to know every minute aspect of DCI. I demand that they publish every shred of information the second that they receive it. I mean, it's not like an organization of DCI's stature has anything better to do, right? They're not planning summer tours for 20+ organizations. Or dealing with any year/quarter ending financial issues. They don't have anything better to do than post their news live, right? I mean, surely they have SOMEONE who's sole job it is to keep me informed. I mean, sure, it's been said already by one of DCI's writers that the specifics on their rules proposals will be up in the near future, meaning they're working on getting us the information in a timely manner. But, come on: me participating in this activity decades ago, and buying merchandise entitles me to full disclosure as events occur in real time, right? :smile:

When you clearly claim yourself to be "Major League".....you better be ready for "Major Scrutiny".

Communication folks.......communication. The world has far more methods of communication now than ever before.....yet communication is clearly one of our weakest areas...as humans.

Like your signature.....Private Pyle.... :smile:

Edited by Triple Forte

I don't know whether or not this is good thing but I would probably agree that eventually woodwinds would be allowed.

BUT I don't think we will ever have to worry about "marching" woodwinds just for simple reason that they are not loud enough on the field. There is the possibility of woodwind solos in the pit played by percussion/brass/guard members who are great at woodwinds, but I think that's the most we can get from that.

Never say never (or ever) in this activity.

Never underestimate the rapacious greed, and short-sighted nature, of those running this activity.

A woodwind section would mean an addition 50 marchers, potentially, for each corps. If your average Top 6 corps charges $2K per year, in fees and dues, then that's an extra $100K in revenue, for these corps. Cha-Ching.

Then consider this: for every 1 kid who makes the "marching woodwind" section, you'll likely get another 3-4 kids who try out during the audition camps. That's an extra $10,000 in revenue from camp fees. That's the cherry on top of the ice cream sundae.

Of course, only the top-tier corps will get these types of additional revenue streams. Your lower-tier WC or OC corps won't get them. This will only further the gap between the haves and have-nots in this profession.

The rich get richer, and poor get poorer, and we get to listen to Malaguena or Channel One Suite on a piccolo. I can't wait! :thumbup::thumbup::blink: Who do send my Friends Of DCI check to? :lol::blink::lol:

Edited by oldschooldbc

I don't know whether or not this is good thing but I would probably agree that eventually woodwinds would be allowed.

BUT I don't think we will ever have to worry about "marching" woodwinds just for simple reason that they are not loud enough on the field. There is the possibility of woodwind solos in the pit played by percussion/brass/guard members who are great at woodwinds, but I think that's the most we can get from that.

I started a few years before pits were allowed and not every corps even had marching bells. Biggest thing I learned over the years was never say never. After all only 10 years ago very few would have thought corps would go Bb, have amps and use vocals as much. IMO, if small wireless mics go down far enough in price I expect a rule change asking for marching instruments to be mic'ed.

IMO, if small wireless mics go down far enough in price I expect a rule change asking for marching instruments to be mic'ed.

Maybe the corps can order in bulk, from the same place as the Secret Service:

secret_service.jpg

I see these guys all the time. They are parked in van across the street, staring at me all night, with their binoculars. They can write what I say on their clipboards, without having to hold the microphone to their ears. Really convenient!

(Maybe I shouldn't have said those nasty things about Obama.......)

(p.s., my psychiatrist says I am paranoid, but I don't trust her. She has a mic just like this.)

Edited by oldschooldbc

Maybe the corps can order in bulk, from the same place as the Secret Service:

secret_service.jpg

I see these guys all the time. They are parked in van across the street, staring at me all night, with their binoculars. They can write what I say on their clipboards, without having to hold the microphone to their ears. Really convenient!

(Maybe I shouldn't have said those nasty things about Obama.......)

(p.s., my psychiatrist says I am paranoid, but I don't trust her. She has a mic just like this.)

If you hold a microphone to your ears, in the words so popular on the internet, "you're doing it wrong".

(Psst. That's not a microphone.)

Never say never (or ever) in this activity.

Sad to say, it's not happening anytime soon.

The rich get richer, and poor get poorer, and we get to listen to Malaguena or Channel One Suite on a piccolo. I can't wait! :thumbup::blink::lol: Who do send my Friends Of DCI check to? :blink::lol::lol:

Piccs, saxes clarinet, etc would be great. I'd love to hear Channel One played by the BD with a nice large sax section playing the sax parts. :thumbup:

Sad to say, it's not happening anytime soon.

Piccs, saxes clarinet, etc would be great. I'd love to hear Channel One played by the BD with a nice large sax section playing the sax parts. :thumbup:

so would I.

when a hot jazz band comes to a club near me