californian marching bands?

While we're on the subject, does anyone know the year that USC burned "USC" into the grass at the UCLA stadium? I remember hearing about this years ago. Apparently there was an LA Marching Band tournament, and it was at UCLA's stadium, co-hosted by UCLA's Marching Band and USC's Marching Band. Both bands played their halftime show as exhibition at the end of the competition. USC's band, probably during the fight song, formed "USC" on the field, and right when they did, every member dropped a small packet of chlorine, burning the grass at their feet. Thus, when they marched off the field, "USC" was burned into UCLA's stadium.

Does anyone know more details, or even if this story is true?

I don't know if the above is true BUT what I do know is that UCLA did that exact thing to USC at the coliseum in the 80's. Gordon won't talk about it if you ask him, but some of us managed to find a document "reprimanding" the UCLA band for it from one of the university officials (if you read the note, however, you'll find gems such as "all offenders should say 100 Hail Marys" and "grass is our friend") .

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Jerry Zullo still announcing the band? I loved hearing him stretch it out when I marched the band in the Harold Warman years:

"The San Diego State University... Marching....AAAaaazzzztecs!"

ha ha he still is... that dood is a legend :inlove: seriously he should announce for corps at the crest here in SD ha ha

I'd choose UCSB #1 in a heart beat. There's no marching band close by, but it's a really beautiful campus and fun town.

Other than that, RCC really is your best choice. You could concurrently enroll at both UCR and RCC. The only small bummer for you is that you'll have to pay a $181 non-resident base fee to register for the band class (or whatever it's called) plus $26/unit. Probably cost you around $260 total. That said, UCR is one of the least desirable UC campuses. Apologies to any UCR students or alum, but the truth is that UCR and Merced are the ugly step-sisters in the UC system. Kind of remote, undesirable locations. Not as prestigious as the other UC's. UCR's stock has risen over the last 10 to 15 years, but it's still kind of an also-ran. Pretty universally, the UC's are seen as...

Top Tier: Berkeley and UCLA

Excellent but don't have the reputation and luster of the top tier: San Diego, Irvine, maybe Davis

Strong: Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz

Coming up in the world but probably won't ever get to mid-pack because of location: Riverside

Also ran: Merced...mostly because they're just too new...and location. Very undesirable location. Virtually no campus life since they're still in their infancy.

So, if you're making your choice based on academic credentials, you'd want to go San Diego. Maaaaaybe Davis. If you want to mix fun, sun, beautiful location with solid academics, I'd choose UCSB. If you want to factor in the marching band thing, Riverside is fine. But Riverside will never get an "ooooooooo" from employers or med schools who know the system. And to be honest, I'd scratch Merced off the list.

The order is more like

Berkeley>UCLA>>UCSD>>UCSB>UCI~UCD>>>UCSC>>>>UCR>UCM

ha ha he still is... that dood is a legend :inlove: seriously he should announce for corps at the crest here in SD ha ha

He announced the show in north San Diego County in 03 when I was SoCal Dream's DM. (forget what year)....QUITE the shock to hear that voice after so many years!

Edited by 84BDsop

Does Gordon Henderson ring a bell to anyone?

lol...hmmm.... yeah, he's decent too :inlove:

Listen if you're a bioengineering major and you're coming from out of state you should just go to UCSD whether there is a marching band program nearby or not. If you are thinking of going to UCR you might as well save some money and go to a state school instead. RCC is only 1.5 hours from San Diego (I did it for 3 years for the winter drumline, it's not so bad) and Pacific Crest is about 2 hours away in Diamond Bar.

Edited by MalletMusic

Thanks captncontra and kath, your input was really, really helpful.

I've found the Santa Ana Youth Winds which would be helpful in learning to march, but I don't think I would do anything more in terms of teaching drill technique. Ideas?

Don't do it. Trust me, don't do it.

Apparently there was an LA Marching Band tournament, and it was at UCLA's stadium

UCLA doesn't have a stadium. They play home games at the Rose Bowl.