Players needed for Met Art Museum Opening gig March 2

Gene Boyle

While its Museum of Art is under renovation for the next 2 years, the City of Dijon is loaning its Medieval collection to 7 museums across the United States. This tour starts in New York City at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on 5th Avenue.

The opening event, March 2, 2010, will be brought in with fanfare and panache and will receive large press coverage…

The City of Dijon would like to have the largest number of brass and percussion players possible to “parade” from the French Consulate’s cultural center on 5th Avenue to the Met museum (a few blocks). The musicians will be organized in two separate bands, one representing Dijon playing medieval music and the other representing NY performing “Broadway” music: a friendly “Battle of the Bands”. The two bands will merge as one big ensemble once on the steps of the museum.

Thierry Caens, trumpet player extraordinaire from Dijon and teacher at the Lyon National Conservatory, will be the Music Director for this event and has composed a special piece for the “merge” of the bands. Also involved in organizing the bands is Dominic Derasse, veteran Broadway and Movie/TV score lead trumpeter.

As of this writing, The Juilliard and Manhattan Schools through Mark Gould, Mannes College, through Raymond Riccomini and the Brooklyn College’s Conservatory, through Douglas Hedwig are on board.

We also would like to include as many players with drum corps or marching band experience as possible.

Instrumentation required is: Trumpet, Trombone, F Mellophone, Tuba, Snare, Bass drum.

Each participant in this event will be required to attend a rehearsal between 1-4pm on the day of the event. Location TBD. Dinner will be provided after the rehearsal.

The event for the bands will start at 5:30 and end at 6:30pm.

In exchange for participating, each musician will receive a Jacket with the "Must Art" exhibit log as well as a generous “goody bag” containing items from the Dijon area of France. The value of the items in the goodie bag are expected to be in excess of $100.

Participants should be prepared for possible cold weather and wear black bottoms with the “Must Art” jacket provided. Also be prepared with Lyre for holding the music.

I need names, instrument played, email addresses, phone numbers, coat sizes from all participants by the end of January 2010. The City of Dijon will need the full 4 weeks to order the jackets and make all other arrangements.

Please email me at trumpeter@aol.com if interested.

Gene,

Count me in, also! I'm sure there are several other Bridgemen that will come on board, as well!

Sounds like a really fun day, and gig!!!

....I need names, instrument played, email addresses, phone numbers, coat sizes from all participants by the end of January 2010. The City of Dijon will need the full 4 weeks to order the jackets and make all other arrangements.

Please email me at trumpeter@aol.com if interested.

I'm not sure that Gene is on here frequently. If you want to partake, I'd take a minute to email him at the addy above.

Definately have some Fusion people coming in...............anything to play together................on a Tuesday.............in Manhattan...................taking a day off work................. :worthy:

Definately have some Fusion people coming in...............anything to play together................on a Tuesday.............in Manhattan...................taking a day off work................. :ph34r:

AWESOME!!!

btw...

I emailed Gene and have not heard back from him yet. Was wondering if anyone heard from him in regards to this gig???

Hoping my email went through and he just didn't get a chance to see it yet. Very excited for this very cool opportunity!!!

-contra chris