Final Rule Proposal Voting Results

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm curious how the rules changes will affect the activity. The breakdown of the visual sheet change is the one that most affects me, and my job. Honestly, it kind of codifies what's been happening anyway. The past decade has seemed to generate a really tangible effort from the judging community to pay a lot less attention to the 'what' part of the visual sheet. I should rephrase 'pay a lot less attention to' to 'avoid crediting' the 'what' part of the sheet. Usually, the defense was a lack of execution preventing credit of what performers were attempting, accompanied by an effort to push execution and achievement into an absolute black or white. My impression is some individuals in the visual judging community are not aware or familiar enough with some efforts to credit them when they are achieved perfectly. Honestly, I was really hoping to keep on a track that the instructors and judges talked about at the rules congress in Orlando, a few years ago. I think it was Lee Carlson that articulated it perfectly with the analogy of a 10th grade B in math being of a greater value than a 6th grade A in math. I think a possible positive of this latest visual sheet change is to take a departure from achievement being spoken of, or credited in absolutes. I would rather there be funding for required judges training in what efforts they are seeing and what it takes physically and mentally to achieve those efforts. An initial feeling I have is that we're forming the judging sheets to fit the existing judging community, more specifically, the bottom percentile of awareness in the judging community. I think that having access to the judges before the show is a step in the direction of making them more aware of what is going on on the field. I would certainly love to see that taken a step further with judges attending rehearsals to observe and talk with the staffs of drum corps to really get inside and see what kind of efforts are going on out there without the advantage of uniforms to hide or aid performance ability. These are obviously my opinions, and are generated from my experience as a performer and teacher in this activity. They in no way represent the views of drum corps that employ me. I am optimistic that these changes will expose things that we need to address in the future, and will lead us to a greater understanding of the visual caption.

Jason

I like shows to be accessable on the surface too, but there's nothing wrong with having some deeper meaning that may not be perceived at first viewing....

like Bluecoats 2009... based on the commentary we got this summer. Great show to watch, but a lot of "wtf" when the guy was explaining it.

So am I reading this right that corps will be able to do ANYTHING they want prior to the show actually begining?

Really they already could do pretty much anything they want prior to the show beginning. It isn't judged so I don't see how you could be penalized for anything

Yikes. Having to explain your show prior to the season will not assist in translating things easier to casual audiences.

Mike

old adage...if it takes you longer than 3 minutes to explain your show, you over programmed.

so...in Hops preshow proposal...does the any instrument thing now happen? reading the DCI site, it was unclear

Ok, I can see as an instructor where this could be both a good thing and a bad thing. Here's how it's good...

For any corps playing anything outside the envelope, or outside established corps-played idioms. Most of our music judges are band directors. They know classical, jazz and wind band music. But very few are really familiar with other styles of music...like pop and modern rock. Allowing them to see your "set list" ahead of time allows them to hear the original source material and research it accordingly. If the corps isn't doing a literal interpretation, they can note that on the synopses.

Of course, the bad side is that it can go too far in the wrong direction if the show requires a libretto...

can they submit them to the fans as well?

old adage...if it takes you longer than 3 minutes to explain your show, you over programmed.

so...in Hops preshow proposal...does the any instrument thing now happen? reading the DCI site, it was unclear

The any instrument thing was already legal.

like Bluecoats 2009... based on the commentary we got this summer. Great show to watch, but a lot of "wtf" when the guy was explaining it.

Yeah, I think that show just missed the mark from a design standpoint. I don't think they were effective in portraying their design intent.

On the flip side of the early/mid season I was not a Blue Devils fan, but after hearing Chandler explain some of the stuff he was going for, it all made perfect sense and I liked the show more after I was able to understand the intent better.

The any instrument thing was already legal.

so he'll keep proposing it til they give in. "but it's in the preshow"

i was having a discussion about the preshow thing today. we kept wondering why corps that have tons of issues in their actual show put so much effort into a preshow. it doesn't count. fix your actual judged show, it may get you better scores.

last year, 2 non finalists, IMO, had better preshows than the 11 minutes that count