DCI Awareness

Is it possible that DCI (or DCA) and Drum and Bugle Corps could be as popular as the NFL, NBA, or MLB? It's probably impossible but I think it would be absolutely incredible if people all over the world enjoyed going to Drum Corps Shows as much as they enjoy going to sporting events.

What would we need to do now to appeal to the masses in the future? Is it possible? Should DCI even TRY to go in that direction on a National and Global scale? When will fans of Crown, Blue Devils, Cadets, etc. be as numerous as those of the Yankees or Colts? What are you willing to sacrifice (if anything at all) in order to achieve mass popularity. What are the pros and cons? Does Society need to change? Does DCI need to change? Where does the change we want begin for this drive to mass popularity? Does it start with the corps, media, Schools, or Fans?

I want to see this activity explode with dozens of amazing corps in the future and millions of fans all over the globe!! Or at least get to a point where someone actually understands what I'm telling them when I say I march DCI... :thumbup:

LOTS of questions here... Discuss

*Could you imagine a super corps where the members actually got PAID to do a summer of Drum Corps? Every person would be the TOP performer and the physical capabilities of this corps would be amazing no doubt. Would this put DCI on track to be like other Sporting organizations where there players got paid? Or would this totally ruin the activity? Making it more about the money than about tradition and product?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this could ever happen. First off, drum corps has that "nerdy band geek" look to people from the outside; all they see is people marching around a field and are turned off by it. Second, the type of music played isn't mainstream at all; lots of people don't like the brass sound, and I know that most of my friends hate it when a DCI show comes up on my playlist on itunes. It takes a certain type of person to appriciate marching music and drum corps; I think DCI will always be a niche activity for those of us cool enough to actually see the amazing things that go on.

I don't think this could ever happen. First off, drum corps has that "nerdy band geek" look to people from the outside; all they see is people marching around a field and are turned off by it. Second, the type of music played isn't mainstream at all; lots of people don't like the brass sound, and I know that most of my friends hate it when a DCI show comes up on my playlist on itunes. It takes a certain type of person to appriciate marching music and drum corps; I think DCI will always be a niche activity for those of us cool enough to actually see the amazing things that go on.

Fantastic. Your post has a great transition from a negative opening to a purely complimentary close.

I agree entirely, except I think it could happen with the right backing, and could be a great success.

See BLAST!

Edited by garfield

Is it possible that DCI (or DCA) and Drum and Bugle Corps could be as popular as the NFL, NBA, or MLB? It's probably impossible but I think it would be absolutely incredible if people all over the world enjoyed going to Drum Corps Shows as much as they enjoy going to sporting events.

What would we need to do now to appeal to the masses in the future? Is it possible? Should DCI even TRY to go in that direction on a National and Global scale? When will fans of Crown, Blue Devils, Cadets, etc. be as numerous as those of the Yankees or Colts? What are you willing to sacrifice (if anything at all) in order to achieve mass popularity. What are the pros and cons? Does Society need to change? Does DCI need to change? Where does the change we want begin for this drive to mass popularity? Does it start with the corps, media, Schools, or Fans?

I want to see this activity explode with dozens of amazing corps in the future and millions of fans all over the globe!! Or at least get to a point where someone actually understands what I'm telling them when I say I march DCI... :thumbup:

LOTS of questions here... Discuss

*Could you imagine a super corps where the members actually got PAID to do a summer of Drum Corps? Every person would be the TOP performer and the physical capabilities of this corps would be amazing no doubt. Would this put DCI on track to be like other Sporting organizations where there players got paid? Or would this totally ruin the activity? Making it more about the money than about tradition and product?

I love your enthusiasm. It's great !

In order for DCI to become more popular, the first thing that would have to occur it would seem to be would be a commitment on the part of the Chairman and his Board of Directors of DCI to make " growing the audience base " a priority. However, there is nothing in the current Mission Statement of DCI ( that is available to the public for reading) where " growing the audience base " is mentioned at all. Thus, since " growing an audience base" is not considered the role of DCI, it seems impossible for audience growth to just materialize on it's own without a marketing plan and a commitment to audience growth on the part of the guiding organization of the activity at present.

If this would happen, imo the activity would benefit greatly

why does dci not go after stronger corporate sponsarships then just music brands, aerobed, etc. Im sure something could work with larger corporations like wal mart etc. They sell items and endorse it, people get curious, tada fans. As brasso said its not a priority of dci but i think it is achievable

I think "BLAST" was the closest thing we have ever had to bringing drum corps to the mainstream, other than our when our title show was broadcast. The good news is I think most people walked away from BLAST entertained and enthused about their product. I took three different groups over the years, and nearly everyone loved the show, and none had ever been to a drum corps show. I tried to explain to them that many of the cast members had experience performing in competitive drum corps, and that it is worth checking out.

Even with BLAST, there were critics....when they were on Broadway, some critics weren't too kind.....however, they were also the type that would criticize ANYTHING that doesn't fall into the realm of "normal Broadway"...........some of these people did the same thing with Riverdance and chopped up Michael Flatley........they wouldn't know talent if it bit them in the ###.

Drum corps simply doesn't have the interest level as pro sports, and I don't think it ever will. I do think drum corps has the potential to increase it's popularity, and it would be wonderful if we could see 40,000 fans at championships again someday and the product return to television. I believe that is possible. But, it would require major changes on DCI's part, and I don't see the interest by the corps or DCI officials to get it done. It would take; (1) more PR and many more public exhibitions.....(2) corps staff's would have to work to create shows that are more fan friendly/accessible, yet still are highly artistic (I don't think Phantom or Crown 08 would have any problems creating excitement at an exhibition standstill) (3) a change in scoring which at least somewhat reflects if a show connects with the audience (OR NOT), as right now, the effect captions are something other than effect.

However, right now, I see things as being "stagnant"....made even worse by a long term commitment to a bad sounding indoor stadium, and it doesn't look like anything is going to change regarding that. If DCI continues to ignore the opinions of their fan base, and you also factor in that it is very expensive to attend a championship in a bad sounding can, I see the real possibility of a serious erosion of fan base.........possibly even to under 10,000 fans at finals within a few years....the hope still relies in the corps, though......still some great products out there....and some highly overscored ones as well..............

GB

Is it possible that DCI (or DCA) and Drum and Bugle Corps could be as popular as the NFL, NBA, or MLB?

No. Teenagers with horns will never be as popular as professional athletes playing classic games.

DCI gets more general public exposure with the movie theater trailer for QuarterFinals than anything else they've ever done. From that standpoint, they've taken a huge step from ten years ago, but it's unlikely it will translate into a fan base in the 5 or 6 million range. Sometimes, the audience is the audience; you can't make people see something they're not that interested in in the first place.

Edited by mobrien

There have been some instances where I have stood in crowds at places like Disneyworld, the Rose Bowl, Wolf Trap with Brass Theater, etc. Basically drum corps exhibitions designed for both the inititated and unintiated. Some of the comments I heard were (good) "Is that a professional band because man wow, they sound great". "Or what school (HS) or College is this?" or " Wow they move fast for a marching band". My first comment back, is usually, first, why this is not like a band, but a corps". But getting into particulars and all differences, and what it is that makes those differences.-It becomes a bit laborsome. Especially the concept of the 14-21 year olds, gym floors, bus rides, and the other shenanigans. So shooting direcdtly. those who have asked questions to me about what they are seeing at shows- I have found its easier to watch and try to point out whats cool with the music, or drill, ( if not a standstill performance) and then relate.

A lot of fans have probably heard very good comments before. when they speak of it to someione new. Maybe even some of us have "baptized" a new fan we got to a show, and they are just blown away. If its the wife, girlfriend, best friend, its espeically sweet. This person who could not telll you what a note in music is- is convinced or shares in your enthusiasm. Thats a good feeling.

Now there are those isolated instances, where you hope to share some of the news about the activity you love- and the detremental comments or reactions occur. Like the ones you can hear from your wife, girlfriend, or buddies. You kind of take them in, and hopefully think they will get it- somehow. sometime. Especially when you like to march on weekends, and she doesn't get it- or your friends dont get it. No matter how good you explain it, the problem is, things we see as a drum corps culture- the people who are hearing it, may just see as crazy or immature. Thats hard to change, or it never changes at all.

These are all isolated things I have experienced. Understandibly, the thread is about mass audience. But I think sometimes it takes an understanding from the small audience to get to the mass audience. Or word of mouth, sometimes to spread the news.

Either that, or we pay everybody who performs, truly making drum corps an extremely competive profession. At that point, all corps are corporately backed in sponsorships, like racing teams in NASCAR. And then the mass audience, tv deals, etc. becomes acheived.