• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a shame.....

You've got one more shot - so far you're two for two:

a) not wanting Jimmy B in the Hall of Fame

b) wanting the corps competiting.

For your grand finale? (drum roll, Pugslie)

You've got one more shot - so far you're two for two:

a) not wanting Jimmy B in the Hall of Fame

b) wanting the corps competiting.

For your grand finale? (drum roll, Pugslie)

OK ,

Put Pugslie in the hall . How many years did he march at Bayonne ?? more than 2 ? How many drum titles ??

Dennis Delucia ?????? Gus Wilke ??????

not saying to not put Jim B. in hall. Just not a FIRST ballot.

AND YES THE BRIDGEMEN SHOULD COMPETE IN DCA . It would be great for the fans to see them more than twice a year .

Edited by FanofNight

OK ,

Put Pugslie in the hall . How many years did he march at Bayonne ?? more than 2 ? How many drum titles ??

Dennis Delucia ?????? Gus Wilke ??????

not saying to not put Jim B. in hall. Just not a FIRST ballot.

AND YES THE BRIDGEMEN SHOULD COMPETE IN DCA . It would be great for the fans to see them more than twice a year .

OK - you're hitting on an important point - Pugslie is a great example, remarkably similar to Brady. You obviously know the ins and outs - you're not just someone who is vaguely aware of the Bridgemen as some sort of drum corps phenomenon - the thing with Pugslie, very much like Brady is - was it the amount of time that either spent with the corps, or what they brought to the corps when they were there?

I think that Pugslie's legend would be intact even if he had only spent 2 years with Bayonne - it's what he brought to the corps, and to the activity.

As to the first ballot thing - I think that that stuff will always be fodder for debate around any hall. I was delighted (and amazed) to be named to the Buglers' Hal of Fame last year - it's an amazing honor - but does anyone anywhere think I sould have gotten in a year before Joe Genero or George Rodriguez? Wayne Downey? the single most successful career in drum corps brass? Impossible! Should I have refused and waited until everyone more deserving was in? It doesn't happen that way. If you can - forget the order - celebrate the individuals and the corps, and what each did for the other.

As to competition - on that one You and I (and I suspect most people who understand what it takes to keep the Bridgemen thriving) will have to agree to disagree on that one.

I taught an alumni corps that went on to seek and obtain a slot in DCA finals and hold it for 3 years. Was it worth it? Yeah - probably - but it wasn't the same corps and went back to the alumni ranks after 4 years of being out there banging. It's a different animal.

If fans want to see more of the Bridgemen - for the time being they need to check out the schedule and get to the shows they're at - and know for a fact that what they'll see is, like Pugslie and Brady, pure unadulterated Bridgemen joy!

OK - you're hitting on an important point - Pugslie is a great example, remarkably similar to Brady. You obviously know the ins and outs - you're not just someone who is vaguely aware of the Bridgemen as some sort of drum corps phenomenon - the thing with Pugslie, very much like Brady is - was it the amount of time that either spent with the corps, or what they brought to the corps when they were there?

I think that Pugslie's legend would be intact even if he had only spent 2 years with Bayonne - it's what he brought to the corps, and to the activity.

If fans want to see more of the Bridgemen - for the time being they need to check out the schedule and get to the shows they're at - and know for a fact that what they'll see is, like Pugslie and Brady, pure unadulterated Bridgemen joy!

very good post.

how many years did Pugslie march ?

Is Delucia going in ?? Gus Wilkie ?? Larry Kirshner ??

yes, there will be debate but I do not think much thought went into the entire Bridgemen history for a hall of fame. Just the last few years of a 30year old drum corps.

As for the Bridgemen competing . It is there decision and they seem firm with only being a Parade / Exhibition corps.

But why not compete ??

there are not enough competing corps .

they put the time in.

They do exhibitions that are WAY WAY too long.

If its fun do it every weekend. Every other weekend.

DCA is only a weekend event.

do your 2 or 3 exhibitions and parades then come up to DCA and do some real drum corps....

As for the Bridgemen competing . It is there decision and they seem firm with only being a Parade / Exhibition corps.

But why not compete ??

they put the time in.

do your 2 or 3 exhibitions and parades then come up to DCA and do some real drum corps....

If the current members of the Bridgemen wanted to compete they'd be in a competing corps, not where they are currently.

I find it funny that you say come do real drum corps with regard to competing. Many people say that alumni corps are the only "real drum corps" left. I, personally, happen to disagree with that statement. I think every corps out there is real. I don't buy into that because it's not a G bugle, or because guards dance instead of high mark time, it's not "real".

But the Bridgemen are happy with the schedule they have and doing it their way. Why the push to have them be something they don't want to be???

very good post.

how many years did Pugslie march ?

Is Delucia going in ?? Gus Wilkie ?? Larry Kirshner ??

yes, there will be debate but I do not think much thought went into the entire Bridgemen history for a hall of fame. Just the last few years of a 30year old drum corps.

But why not compete ??

they put the time in.

As was pointed out by Jim Jordan, to get into or be considered for the Bridgemen Hall Of Fame YOU HAD TO BE NOMINATED!!!!!! None of the people you mentioned were nominated! People assumed other people were going to do it and they didn't, thus why the 3 you mentioned didn't get in.

I am sure once Dennis, Larry & Gus are nominated they will get in.

As far as competing, the Bridgemen will NEVER compete again! It is working out GREAT for us as an Alumni Corps doing our 6 shows we do during the year and the 30 or so standing o's!!!!!!!! We put out a full corps, do not owe any money and we are having ALOT OF FUN!

So thanks for your comments and I agree with Ray that you know ALOT about the Bridgemen.

George

OK Drack...announcement forthcoming.

As George just put so succinctly, here are my final words on the subject. I apologize for the verbosity.

Please note that these are my personal opinions, and that all official remarks for the Bridgemen are made by our administrative officials. Therefore, I am not speaking "officially", on behalf of the Bridgemen Organization, and/or Bridgemen Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps.

Normally, I try to avoid addressing anonymous posters... FanofNight, why are you hiding? But, since you put it out there, here goes...

Like Ray said, it's WHAT you put into your experience, not HOW MUCH TIME you devoted to it.

95% of the people in the Bridgemen Organization believe that Jim Brady left an indelible mark on the Bridgemen, AND on the world of drum corps. I have friends that play professionally, both legit, and jazz musicians, that marvel at Jim's solos, and his talents! I believe that Jim is a first ballot "No-brainer" for our Hall of Fame!

As I mentioned in a previous post, the process for inducting people into a Hall of Fame is far from perfect. Look at Major League Basesball...there have been NUMEROUS instances whereby a deserving player was not inducted, or had to wait many years before being inducted (Phil "Scooter" Rizzuto) for various reasons. A LOT of things factor into these decisions. In addition, I happen to know A LOT of people with other drum & bugle corps that "deserved" to be inducted into their inaugural class, as well, but were overlooked. I believe they were not inducted for the same reason. They weren't nominated.

FanofNight, have you ever served on a Hall of Fame Committee?

Also... as you mentioned, you have to be NOMINATED in order to be considered for induction into the Bridgemen Hall of Fame. If you felt so strongly about some of the people you have mentioned, why didn't you nominate them? From what I understand, none of the people the you have mentioned were nominated. You could have written a nomination for all of them in less time than it has taken you to post on this thread!

The nomination process was open to the public for several months. If anyone visited our website, bridgemen.com, the form, and procedure were spelled out for anyone to complete, here is the explanation verbatim:

(From Bridgemen.com/Bridgemen Alumni/Hall of Fame)

Anyone can nominate a candidate or any group (i.e. original Bridgemen Booster Board, 1972 soprano line, 1980 drum line) for the HOF. A candidate can only be voted into the HOF once (for example: a person cannot be voted in as a marching member and again as an instructor), unless that person is also part of a group being nominated. The "Guidelines" will provide you with the minimum requirements for the nominee, in addition to everything else you need to know about the HOF. Before placing a name in nomination, we urge you to read and understand the "Guidelines".

"Anyone" (including you, "FanofNight") was given several months to nominate a deserving member of the Bridgemen for the Hall of Fame. If you missed the original opportunity, in 2009, (for the inaugural class) you may submit a nomination this year, for next year's class.

Unfortunately, there will always be several people that feel, as you do, that some deserving individuals were overlooked. Again, I must reiterate that the system is imperfect, just like the world in which we live.

As for competing...

Again, I don't speak for the corps, but perhaps the reason that there "aren't enough competing corps" (Your words, FoN) is because it requires sacrificing every weekend of your life to the activity, from March, until Labor Day Weekend? That's an awful lot of time to devote to a hobby. ANY hobby!!!

We are all very happy with our "drum corps lite" schedule, thank you! We meet for about 32 total days during the entire year! This includes all rehearsals, 2 standstill exhibitions, 5 field exhibitions, and 4-5 parades. This is more than enough time for our members to come out and enjoy the "Bridgemen Experience", and yet, still maintain a balance with their families, friends, and other personal interests.

As far as I know, none of our membership, in any capacity, is interested in competing! Why should we? The competing corps' schedules are great for when your in your teens, 20's, maybe even 30's, but beyond that? You have a lot more responsibilities, and greater demands on your time. Most of our members are married, and have children, and several even have grandchildren.

The schedule set forth by our Director, George Lavelle, and his Administrative Team, has been well-received by our membership, and has served us well since we reorganized our field corps for the 2006 season.

And thank you for your constructive criticism in regard to the length of our performances. We also recognized this "imperfection" in our "imperfect" world, and we have adjusted our show accordingly. :smile:

We are very happy being who we are, thank you!

Peace, love, and HYPE to you!

...Jimmy

Edited by overthehillDM

OK Jimmy, what's the word !!!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen...I am very pleased to make the following announcement:

Bridgemen practice on March 20th

Former soloist Jim Brady to sit in and play

The Bridgemen Alumni Corps next practice will be held on Saturday March 20th, at St. Andrews School in Bayonne from 12-4. Sitting in, and playing lead soprano with the corps that day will be former Bridgemen soloist, Jim Brady!

Jim is widely regarded as one of the best soloists in the history of drum corps, including several years with the Saints Drum & Bugle Corps. His legendary solos made a lasting impression on the drum corps community, and subsequent listeners via recordings on the Internet. Jim’s solos with the Bridgemen can be heard on You Tube, and on DCI “Legacy” Recordings, and include the following: Pagliacci-1977; Land of Make Believe-1977; Harlem Nocturne-77 & 78; Ritual Fire Dance-1978; and perhaps his most famous solo, Spanish Dreams-1978. Jim was inducted into the NJ Drum Corps Hall of Fame in 2007 & is being inducted into the Bridgemen Hall of Fame on March 20th.

If you would like to attend the rehearsal to play along with our horn line, or just listen to the great music that will be played on March 20th, feel free to come and join us! All are welcome to attend! We have a very exciting musical show planned for the 2010 season, and we still have openings in all sections. Everyone is always welcome to sit in and play along. If you are looking for a fun, and arousing musical experience, Bayonne is the place for you!!! Our schedule is very light; we only meet about 32 times per year, so you can maintain balance with your family life! If you'd like to play, and want to receive music ahead of time, please contact me, Jim Jordan, through a personal message.

Without a doubt, the Bridgemen are off to our best start ever, and we’re looking to raise our level of performance to even greater heights in 2010! We are very excited about our show, and we’re looking forward to entertaining our audiences with the great passion, and enthusiasm that the Bridgemen have always displayed through our performances!

The Bridgemen hope that you will be able to join us on March 20th, for a very special rehearsal, and we look forward to seeing you there!

St. Andrew’s School is located at 126 Broadway, (intersect. 4th St.) Bayonne, NJ 07002.

Practice is from 12 -4 pm.

For additional info about Bridgemen, go to… bridgemen.com

We hope you can make it! It's going to be a fun afternoon in Bayonne!

HYPE!!!

...Jim Jordan