Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

I posted most of this in a different thread.

7. Madison Scouts- fun to watch. best drum major. the guy is a hoot! About what I was expecting. Safe show designed to get the corps crowd response but more importantly, get them back into finals. Great solo work. Uniforms look nice from the stands. Overpowering synth. 20 contras is a lot of smoke in mirrors. Very weak percussion. Brass is ok. Visual is much improved. Nice color guard. This was one of only two shows that yanked me out of my seat at the end.

I was left smiling. :tongue: See?

What is going on with percussion? They are down vs. last year and down 1 full point from a few weeks ago. If percussion started scoring, 80's would have already been here. Anyone know why there scores keep going down? You would think at a minimum they would be getting a bit better but they are going the opposite way of the rest of the Corps. Is the book to hard?

I saw the Scouts in Akron and think they have a great show. I get tired of other corps dicing up symphonies into 1'-30" tidbits. The Scouts treat the music that they play with respect and I hope to see them in the finals!

No shows till Friday :tongue:, work hard men.. and some awesome "angle work" too..

Edited by Cop

Just returned from seeing the Scouts perform at the Central Wisconsin Center (formerly called Central Colony).

I'm very proud that Scouts take time out every year to give back to the community a bit and perform for the residents at CWC.

It's a great tradition to keep alive.

The Scouts are getting their photos at the State Capital in Madison this afternoon, a little free time on State Street then on to East Trot for 3 days of rehearsal

prior to the weekend in La Crosse and Mpls.

Keep up the great work men!

What is going on with percussion? They are down vs. last year and down 1 full point from a few weeks ago.

It's so weird for me to see discussion about a "weak" caption for the Scouts and it NOT be the Color Guard.

It's like bizzaro DCI.

Just returned from seeing the Scouts perform at the Central Wisconsin Center (formerly called Central Colony).

I'm very proud that Scouts take time out every year to give back to the community a bit and perform for the residents at CWC.

It's a great tradition to keep alive.

The Scouts are getting their photos at the State Capital in Madison this afternoon, a little free time on State Street then on to East Trot for 3 days of rehearsal

prior to the weekend in La Crosse and Mpls.

Keep up the great work men!

I remember doing concerts at CWC back in my day. Alot of things from those days are very fuzzy in my mind. These 2 performances are very clear though.

Bill

What is going on with percussion? They are down vs. last year and down 1 full point from a few weeks ago. If percussion started scoring, 80's would have already been here. Anyone know why there scores keep going down? You would think at a minimum they would be getting a bit better but they are going the opposite way of the rest of the Corps. Is the book to hard?

Its especially strange since their drumline looked in the spring to be quite improved. Personally I can't say I know why anything is what it is in DCI these days. I didnt see Madison as down to Cadets by so much at Drums On Parade 3 weeks ago. The hornline was solid and mature and frankly sounded better than anyones that night. Percussion was very solid and the guard was clearly improved. For that matter I just watched 2008 Legacy videos and I have no idea of the difference from about 4-12. They all performed superbly, marched superbly and communicated their shows. About the ONLY thing I was sure of in 2008 was that the right corps (Phantom) won it.

This always brings me back to my usual rant that who wins and loses now appears to be decided by who wrote your show, and how you perform it secondarily.

Didn't see them last night (rain out), but in Michigan City, the battery seemed a little tentative, moreso than most of the other finalist level corps that night. Looking at the tenors, in particular, it seemed like they were focused more on "not making mistakes" rather than playing the book out confidently and aggressively.

It appears to be a young line (and a young corps in general), so I'd imagine with a few more weeks (and hopefully a few more seasons, if they can hold the core of the line together), they should be fine.

Edited by mobrien