Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

Well I'm surprised by your post. I saw the Scouts twice back at the end of June and felt that their

sound was incredibly powerful and well balanced. They were as loud as both the Blue Stars

and Cadets both nights that I saw them. Now granted, I did not see the Scouts live back in 75,

so I can't compare, but these guys are rocking as far as I can tell. And another comment on volume.

I keep hearing that Prime and Van Doren are known to keep their horn lines in check until later

in the season once the blend and balance are there. I think you will see the Scouts put out more

power in the coming weeks. Also, this week there will be many changes put into the show

and at least one of them is sure to make all of us alums proud!

I think volume has to come naturally. In the years I marched, I don't remember the brass staff every telling us to play loud. If anything, they tried to get us to back off. But we did a lot of running, breathing exercises, and long tones. So when we got in front of an audience, the sound was just there.

Let's not forget that the placement at Finals last year did not help the corps with the draws they're getting for performance order, which as much as you purists on scoring would like to feel that scores are not given by where you perform, but they are. It didn't help that Minn. got cancelled last week which was to determine performance order, but instread from last year's standings.

If you don't agree, well, you can have your opinion, but i've been around long enough and judged enough shows at various levels to know the reality of this.

Based on the Fan Network video...I am happy the show was not scored. Maybe it was the stadium...but the perc. solo sounded way out of whack...and the score would have taken a bit of a hit.

Personally Jeff, I'm having a hard time disagreeing with anything the "poster" had to say. Though I'm intrigued to see what the "new changes" bring in the coming days, personally, I've been very disappointed by the lack of volume and finesse that we should be hearing from this line by now (we had 62 horns in 75'!!....and I believe these guys have something like 84-86?) To me, the sound is so tame that it really does Slaughter and Rhapsody a huge injustice, especially since this show is supposed to be hearkening back to a by-gone era. Ala, the vaunted 75' show! So far, my feeling is that this years rendition is a complete p_ssy cat compared to that show....a mere shadow of an attempt. Of course, I'm a little prejudice since I marched in 75'. But, I've been waiting for that similar electricity, but right now, it's a long way from the target. I really hope that eventually I'm proven wrong on all accounts! Also, I've believed from day one that the arrangements themselves have a lot to do with it. Just listen, everything is mid-range heavy....way to warm of a sound. I'd say a rich dark chocolate to be exact.

Let the calls for "high crimes", "treason", "blasphemy" and "excommunication" begin!

Well Jerry, I feel ya. But it may help to remember that you guys in 75 were the champion and the year

before were almost the champion. This edition of the Scouts is moving back into Finals contention after

finishing 15th. I think it's fair to say that it is unfair to compare them to the 75 Scouts. When I saw them

a couple weeks ago in Madison and Cedarburg, I was thrilled with how they sounded. It was such

an improvement over a year ago that I couldn't help but be impressed. Are they top 6 level yet? Probably

not, but that isn't the goal at this stage. Mason said that he wanted to re-establish the brand, get back

to basics and technique...and then build on that in the years to come. If you're disappointed, that's fine and

I can understand it. But I'm not. I am thrilled at how far they have come already!

Well Jerry, I feel ya. But it may help to remember that you guys in 75 were the champion and the year

before were almost the champion. This edition of the Scouts is moving back into Finals contention after

finishing 15th. I think it's fair to say that it is unfair to compare them to the 75 Scouts. When I saw them

a couple weeks ago in Madison and Cedarburg, I was thrilled with how they sounded. It was such

an improvement over a year ago that I couldn't help but be impressed. Are they top 6 level yet? Probably

not, but that isn't the goal at this stage. Mason said that he wanted to re-establish the brand, get back

to basics and technique...and then build on that in the years to come. If you're disappointed, that's fine and

I can understand it. But I'm not. I am thrilled at how far they have come already!

^^^This!

I just got back from the Denton show. The performance was much better than in Dallas on Thursday. The show was much tighter and the members seemed very focused in their execution.

The crowd gave huge responses during and after the show!

I just got back from the Denton show. The performance was much better than in Dallas on Thursday. The show was much tighter and the members seemed very focused in their execution.

The crowd gave huge responses during and after the show!

That's great to hear. Now 3-4 days of changes and cleaning.

Do it up fellas!

Personally Jeff, I'm having a hard time disagreeing with anything the "poster" had to say. Though I'm intrigued to see what the "new changes" bring in the coming days, personally, I've been very disappointed by the lack of volume and finesse that we should be hearing from this line by now (we had 62 horns in 75'!!....and I believe these guys have something like 84-86?) To me, the sound is so tame that it really does Slaughter and Rhapsody a huge injustice, especially since this show is supposed to be hearkening back to a by-gone era. Ala, the vaunted 75' show! So far, my feeling is that this years rendition is a complete p_ssy cat compared to that show....a mere shadow of an attempt. Of course, I'm a little prejudice since I marched in 75'. But, I've been waiting for that similar electricity, but right now, it's a long way from the target. I really hope that eventually I'm proven wrong on all accounts! Also, I've believed from day one that the arrangements themselves have a lot to do with it. Just listen, everything is mid-range heavy....way to warm of a sound. I'd say a rich dark chocolate to be exact.

Let the calls for "high crimes", "treason", "blasphemy" and "excommunication" begin!

:satisfied: - respect for both :blink:

Brass volume is a function of several things working together. Maturity, solid fundamentals, intonation, balance etc.

You can't just tell a kid to play louder. You'll end up with a whole bag of suck.

If the Scouts brass staff is preaching the right things (and I'm going to assume that they are because the line did sound nice) then volume will come on it's own. One day, they will decide that the time is right to take the lid off the jar so-to-speak.

I will agree with a previous poster and say that when I saw the Men, the hornline did sound middle-heavy. Not quite muddy. Just a lot of middle. Too much filling in the Oreo. I would've been ok with a bit more trumpet sound.