Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

I'm incredibly impressed with this! This uniform could be as epic as the '88-'02 uniform was. An instant classic, IMO. Wow!

The short sleeves look odd. Very odd. A red sash & hat band would have been nice.

Looks like they're wearing class B's :). I think I would've preferred Class A's.

Exactly what he said....Looks like what we wore in the Jr. Corps....ya know, the "little Scouts" back in the yearly 70's! This is big time Big Boy drum corps....A little more from the, "that's sharp"! department and you'll have Class A (where it should be)

Just got back from the dress rehearsal. Good crowd at Indiana's best venue for drum corps. :thumbup: A few things of note:

Regarding the theme/title issue: When giving an introduction, Chris Kromnick noted that "We don't really have a theme . . . we're just trying to put out the best drum corps show possible." (Not an exact quote, but that's the gist of it.) Which, personally, I was glad to hear. Even so, the show -- mostly through the guard -- does try to evoke images skyscraper construction in the 1930s.

Uniforms: I like them. A tasteful update of an older uniform. The short sleeves are not noticeable from the stands (at least not from high up). They really do scream "Scouts" (as in Boy Scouts), which is the intention (according to Kromnick) -- hearkening back to the original Scouts uniforms of the 30s. Which is in keeping with the unofficial theme of the show. It's a good change, and I hope they stick with it.

From a visual standpoint the uniform is not particularly effective, but white accents and white hats help the members stand out. The guard is clad in gray uniforms evocative of 1930s workers. It's welcome change from last year's monstrosity, but the drab gray of the guard and the dark green of the corps proper make the corps seem a little . . . smaller on the field. More color is needed. No spats, at least not yet. They would complement the uniform well, IMO.

Drumline has 9 snares, 5 tenors, 5 basses, 0 cymbals. At one point 9 guard members pick up cymbals and use them for a significant portion of the show, to great effect. An ironic demonstration of the uses of a good cymbal line. As promised there are 20 contras, which are featured frequently in the show. The difference in the sound of the hornline is noticeable, at least to me. For those who are interested in such thing, there are 2 rather unassuming synths on the sideline. Bizarrely, and sadly, their most frequent use was a doubling of low brass parts, though it's not usually too overwhelming. Predictably, there was a brief piano (patch) interlude in Rhapsody in Blue, which was not at all offensive if you're bothered by that sort of thing.

Slaughter on 10th is the opener, with the rest of the show devoted to Rhapsody in Blue. The arrangements are enjoyable, especially for Slaughter, if not particularly memorable. The opening hit was fantastic and should become a favorite moment for many as the summer progresses. They're going for volume, no doubt about it. There are plenty of musical high points throughout the show -- once again, music should be the Scouts strong point. As a pit person, I'm not terribly qualified to speak on guard/visual design. While effective in terms of the music which was being played, there weren't really any stand-out "Wow" moments in the drill. Which may have been the intention. Guard . . . I really have no idea, but some guard people around seemed pretty positive about the performance. There are about 11 metal tables out on the field, meant to represent scaffolding. Though they were used effectively as some points, they mostly seemed like unnecessary clutter.

Much of the show was sluggish, enervated, and quite dirty -- all typical early season problems that will work themselves out. As the tempos rise and endurance builds this will turn into an entertaining, fan-friendly show. A finalist contender for sure.

All in all, I enjoyed the show, appreciated the uniform, the "lack" of a theme, the lack of a show title with some obnoxiously cutesy spelling. Should be a great year, and hopefully a great decade, to be a Scout!

Wait...no spats & no cymbals???

With Brent Becker's permission, here's the Madison uniform concept art. He said the driving force from Jim Mason on down was to create a "classic" Madison look, yet streamlined with modern materials.

Mike

madison_concept.jpg

Hey, I know where I've seen that look before....Couple the short sleeves with green short-short "hot pants" and you've got the boyz from Preston Scout-House all over again! (very old school....very scary old school!)

Time to take a cold shower.

Exactly what he said....Looks like what we wore in the Jr. Corps....ya know, the "little Scouts" back in the yearly 70's! This is big time Big Boy drum corps....A little more from the, "that's sharp"! department and you'll have Class A (where it should be)

While I get that....and would maybe like to see some red as well....the "little scout" look really works for me. I saw them in Bloomington tonight....and just when you think...."young boy scouts"....they pretty much hit you in the face with a sound that is nothing "little scout-like" at all. So....I think it will please you more than you think....and maybe that's what the staff is shooting for. The tubas are a great touch!

Just got back from Scouts dress rehearsal.

Uniform is much improved over past years. Very classy, very clean.

The alumni will be very happy. Everyone will be happy.

Great show, great design. Simple, yet satisfying.

A real Madison Scouts show.

Just got back from Scouts dress rehearsal.

Uniform is much improved over past years. Very classy, very clean.

The alumni will be very happy. Everyone will be happy.

Great show, great design. Simple, yet satisfying.

A real Madison Scouts show.

You really think I'll like it....Really?.....Promise? The short sleeves are messing with me. It's to "dress down" sloppy for me. Are you telling me to maybe turn my head at a certain angle or squint a little and then maybe it works? Nahhhh....I'm not buying!

Edited by Mad75

You really think I'll like it....Really?.....Promise? The short sleeves are messing with me. It's to "dress down" sloppy for me. Are you telling me to maybe turn my head at a certain angle or squint a little and then maybe it works? Nahhhh....I'm not buying!

The short sleeves look bush league. The uni is in desperate need of color & a red sash & hat band would be just enough. Lets hope they make some modifications soon. Whats up with no spats though??? Are they waiting until the drill is clean??? This uniform must look awkward without spats.

Edited by FlamMan