Giants Stadium Drum Corps Memories

So ... there ya go ... my memory bank was only half right ... or ... half wrong ... but, Fish ... Slyliners? ... HAHA ... a little Freudian slip?

:-)

oops!...hehe

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now THAT is digging up scores... I hardly remember that one myself... must be true as I definitely remember both marching in and judging in Giants stadium

Edited by TomPeashey

Skyliners were there... they won the show, and we (Sun) were second.

The competition lineup was senior corps only, but I'm pretty sure the Boston Crusaders did an exhibition that day, too.

Fran

Fran I believe the exhibition was the Eatontown Royales. Few other things I recall about that day, you, me, "Pops" and a tray of beer.

Fran I believe the exhibition was the Eatontown Royales. Few other things I recall about that day, you, me, "Pops" and a tray of beer.

"Giants Stadium/Exibitions":

I remember the Hathorne Caballeros & Garfield Cadets sponsoring shows at Meadowlands in the late 1980's, and Hawthorne doing a lot of half time exibitions for the New York Giants football team at the Stadium. I believe the Caballeros did a post show exibition in 1991 at a junior DCI show that Garfiled ran, and the Caballeros Alumni doing an exibition for a "Garfield" show in the late 1990's or early 2000's.

Great memories of a venue that joins Roosevelt Stadium in "Drum Corps Legend".... :tongue:

Elphaba

I marched there 3 times in HS, twice for YEA (CMBC/USSBA) and once for a Giants game.

Twice with the Crossmen.

Taught 2 marching bands that went there for a competition.

AND

Was on the field after the last football game ever to take place their.

17479_590411219269_24802848_34665701_1667539_n.jpg

That 1978 Grand Prix was the day after DCI East in Allentown. We were going to head there for the senior show, but not only was it just way too hot, our year-old son was with his grandma overnight, and we had to get home to him.

Went to the 'old' stadium many times for several Grand Prix and Cadets' contests and band shows, but just one Jets football game (Dr. Baggs' Bergenfield H.S. band at halftime!) and one Cosmos soccer game. Both my son (the infant in '78!) and my older daughter played there four times each with their H.S. band at CMBC/USSBA Championships in the 90's. I finally got my only chance to perform there with the Cabs Alumni in exhibition at the Cadets' contest, 1999, I believe.

Sorry to see it go.

Yes indeed. :tongue:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I finally got my only chance to perform there with the Cabs Alumni in exhibition at the Cadets' contest, 1999, I believe.

1999 it was... you guys really rocked the place that day. That was the last drum corps show I announced there until the final one last year.

Fran

My first appearance in Giants' Stadium was in '77 ... A Cosmos game with Pele playing, during the peak of the soccer frenzy of that era. The stadium had a capacity crowd ... Couldn't quote a number at this point, but it was probably 3x more people than you'd ever see at DCI Finals.

I've baked, been par-boiled, and rained on in that stadium, and it was part of the view from my home in Harmon Cove.

Not quite the same nostalgic sense of loss as Roosevelt Stadium, but a bit like an old friend is gone.

That 1978 Grand Prix was the day after DCI East in Allentown. We were going to head there for the senior show, but not only was it just way too hot, our year-old son was with his grandma overnight, and we had to get home to him.

Went to the 'old' stadium many times for several Grand Prix and Cadets' contests and band shows, but just one Jets football game (Dr. Baggs' Bergenfield H.S. band at halftime!) and one Cosmos soccer game. Both my son (the infant in '78!) and my older daughter played there four times each with their H.S. band at CMBC/USSBA Championships in the 90's. I finally got my only chance to perform there with the Cabs Alumni in exhibition at the Cadets' contest, 1999, I believe.

Sorry to see it go.

You are a graduate of Bergenfield too?